Flash player alternative? What is Html5?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Jw_Leonhart, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    So we all know Flash Player sucks... and there is no 3rd party flash software... flash can be buggy, slow, and a system resource hog (as all adobe crap is)

What is html5 though? It's obviously much better, but i'm just confused on why it works on the backend instead of being able to replace adobe in some form?

2. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    HTML is what is used to define the structure of a web page and the contents of it, it's a markup language. HTML 5 is just a more new specification for it, which includes things like video elements for web pages that you can use for rendering video.
    And it doesn't work "in the back end". When you enter a web page your browser gets the HTML code for that page from the web server and renders the page. Different browser might render the page differently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_HTML5_and_Flash

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  3. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    I've already ready the wiki on the comparison.. I probably should have said that.. I just really don't understand the difference other than I guess apple wanted it's own format and didn't like that adobe wasn't "open"? But nothing from Apple is open either so thats kinda weird...

I've just always hated Adobe Flash... if your playing a flash game an leave it on say overnight, it can horribly slow your system down, sometimes even using 99% of the CPU and not stopping..... it's really a bummer.

Flash <------:biggun:

4. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Difference is that Flash is a platform and HTML is a markup language.

"Markup languages are designed for the processing, definition and presentation of text. The language specifies code for formatting, both the layout and style, within a text file. The code used to specify the formatting are called tags. HTML is a an example of a widely known and used markup language."

5. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    Still lost...

Flash video is in SWF format right?

So now how would a website like youtube utilize HTML to play a video if there is no "video format" I guess you could say?

I'm just confused beyond belief I guess.... :bang:

6. unknown1140

unknown1140 Active Member

GPU:
    Intel HD 3000 :(
    You can think flash like just a container in the video case. It decodes the video and put it through your browser. With HTML5 your browser will do the decoding... And no, the .swf file is the "flash executable", flash used to use basically .fla for videos but now it uses mostly .mp4 (h.264 if I'm not wrong) to play the videos...

What HTML5 is doing for your is, almost unlimited possibilities to the content inside your browser and in a open and relatively easy way. And the good thing is that nobody will be depending of a business's good will or will have to pay for a way to expensive program to develop for it.

To be short: HTML5+CSS3+webGL+JavaScript can make all that flash can do in a better, open and mult-platform way and even more!

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Think of it in terms of how we already view pictures, Leonhart.
    The picture lives on some server obviously with it's extension, maybe a png. The png, in it's original form is embedded into the site, right?
    While, I could easily put that same png in a flash document and instead link to, or embedded that .swf (aka, ads. and some stupid sites do to prevent downloading the image).

Videos will work similarly when using HTML5. The video itself lives on the server, maybe a mp4. With HTML5 a simple <video> container is used, and now assuming the browser supports it, you can view the mp4 from the web-page, avoiding having to use flash as a medium.
    Simplicity itself, right?

8. WindtalkerCS

WindtalkerCS Master Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 280's
    Apple has nothing to do with HTML5

9. unknown1140

GPU:
    YES! Apple is just a early adopter. It doesn't matter if it's open or closed, they just want what's best for them.
    Who makes the HTML5 is the W3C organisation. They care about it been open and they do what they can to people follow the standards.

10. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    From what i've read it was Mozilla corp. Opera and Apple that presented the HTML5 standard? It was on the wiki when comparing Flash to HTML5... although i'm asking on here because I know nothing about it.

I'm just confused as to why there hasn't been an alternative to flash.. it absolutely sucks ass.

11. unknown1140

GPU:
    Actually, HTML5 is just a new version of HTML. W3C is the one that builds it and makes all the standardization of it. It seems that any major player can contribute and even individual can do it too (I heard there's a forum but never searched for it), but the final's word's from W3C. It also seems that Opera was the first to propose a new version, but I can't guarantee.

And yes, there was some alternatives to flash, but they just didn't get enough attention. MS Silverlight was the one that got closer, but not enough...

Anyway, flash is not used the way it was used before thanks to those new attempts. In the past I used basically only flash and it was great in that time. Today I don't used it all! And it's one of my selling point!!! I don't see where I could use it without suffer a major problem. I use a little of HTML5, a good amount os CSS3 e Java Script and now my sites can run in almost any device!!! It's just great and even easy!!!

I don't know if you already know it, but look at this page: http://www.ro.me/
    There's no flash or anything like that!!! Just the goodness of the new standards!!!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  12. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC