Corsair H100 vs. Noctua NH-D14

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by isidore, Apr 17, 2012.

1. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Hy guys wondering what CPU cooler is better. I want to get the h100 but people are saying it's loud and in time problems start to appear either with the pomp or with the liquid inside. The cooling performance from what i read is about the same as the Noctua DH-D14, the difference would be that the DH14 is silencer and problem free with long term use.
    Are the latest revisions of h100 problem free or they till have issue with long term use?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    what case you have may be the determining factor as to whether you can even fit the H100. You gotta find somewhere to put that radiator.

Personally, I'm very happy with my D14, but I've never actually tried the H100 beyond reading reviews.

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Never heard of the Corsair H100 having issues with it's pump or coolant and corsair provide good customer service with a 5 year warranty (that covers other components in case of a leak) so I wouldn't worry about that.

The NhD14 may be quieter if you use the stock fans on the H100 but you will probably end up replacing fans to something like the AP-15's for both of them anyway so that's not really a major concern unless you ware going to be running stock fans.

Overall the H100 will probably cool a little better and take up less space but you do of course always have the chance of pump failure after a certain amount of time (likely many years) with any water cooling based system, whereas air cooling will last forever and provide free cooling for any
    components around it.

I would personally suggest that you skip both of them and go for a water cooling kit based on custom components, by buying a kit you'll know you have everything you need and it will be an easy way of getting into custom water cooling. Something like a 120/240mm radiator based radiator kit from XSPC will cost about the same as a H100 but provide comparable or better cooling and you will have the opportunity to add or change individual components in the future.

4. blackthesoul

blackthesoul Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1080ti

hi mate, unfortunately i purchased my first Corsair H100 a few weeks back, and the pump was DOA, everything else seemed to work ie fans, lights etc, just no liquid movement and my rig would auto shutdown after around 10 seconds.
    thankfully the wonderful people at the store i purchased it from [Novatech] did a quick test, confirmed it was DOA and provided a straight swap with a newer batch version and i have had nothing but amazing results from this newer H100 :)

** while researching the H100 a few weeks back i stumbled across a release from Corsair letting people know that there are 2 batch numbers which have known faults/didnt pass quality testing properly [will have to find source and update this post with a link]

all in all the H100 is serving my fx-8120 @ 4.32ghz 1.31v, very nicely, haven't seen it peak above 34c Core temp, 43c Socket / TMPIN2 temp under full load :)
    and like you stated mate, it defiantly cuts down the 'clutter' in the case [which has meant that i now have room to place and seperatly cool my VRM's/Mosfets] and also there is alot less stress on the board by not having quite a heavy heat sink weighing it down :)

just thought i would add my experience with using the H100, unfortunately i haven't tried the Noctua yet.

thanks guys

** edit for sources...

Source 1 -- http://www.guru3d.com/news/corsair-has-bad-batch-of-h100-coolers/

Source 2 -- http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99472

Source 3 -- http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99361 - This is the statement by 'YellowBeard' over at Corsair Forums [- mainly north america batch]

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

@blackthesoul

Thanks for clearing that up mate. I hadn't heard of the 'bad batch' problem with the corsair h100 and it seems Corsair are on top of the problem (which is probably why I never heard of it) and the issue was with the fan controller not the pump or coolant, so unlikely to damage components. Also anyone could get a DOA component for a number of reasons and that shouldn't really be used against a product unless it's happening en masse and is a problem in the product itself.

It's probably unlikely that anyone purchasing them now will have the issue, though it would of course be good practice to check the batch number with the retailer before purchasing.

6. blackthesoul

blackthesoul Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1080ti
    thanks mate :) yeah they do seem to be very fast when dealing with batch issues, i remember having problems with the TX-650 PSU's , 3 replacements, 2 DOA's, and 1 with non functioning rocker switch. but being corsair they were MORE than happy to exchange and replace with newer batch/lot units within a very respectful timescale :)

the sources i posted seem to be the fan profile/firmware problems effecting the north american batch/lot's , but have found a few threads and forums from the uk with users having dead/non functioning pumps on arrival [fan profiles would change, lights and fan rpm would reflect this, but no movement of coolant] but that could just be down to product shipping/handling , delivery handling, or even an angry/disgruntled delivery driver kicking the boxes around lol.

but in all honesty your completely right mate, Corsair's support/warranty is brilliant and they are always happy to help and replace if needed :)

@isidore
    so if you decide to go with the H100 and worst comes to worst and the product is faulty in any way, just tell corsair and they will be more than happy to help if needed mate :) but im sure everything should be fine mate :) and as BlackZero said, just check the batch/lot numbers when purchasing and all should be good :)

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    You can always change the fans on a H100 anyway to something quieter/more airflow, but I cannae fault my Noctua. The one downside is the size, the thing is fecking hyawge. If you hace the space certainly, go for it.

8. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    I understand guys, i just talked with a store in my country and it seems that i don't have warranty in case of leakage. So i don't think i'm gonna risk it.

9. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I had the H80 and the H100 coolers in my rig. Both are good coolers,but were a little too noisy for me. I now have the Antec h20 920 installed,and it runs a bit cooler than Corsair and a lot more quiet. Worth considering.

10. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    that seems like an abnormally low temperature considering how much power amd chips draw when theyre overclocked. have you checked via TMPIN2 sensors on your board? on my last phenom x6 the core temps always read 10C lower than it actually is, with the TMPIN2 motherboard CPU sensor being the accurate temperature. it was noticeable in my case as it was impossible for my CPU to be idling at 15C when room temperature was 25C (i also disabled the idle clock speed so it was running at 4ghz too) and i wasnt using a TEC cooler.

11. blackthesoul

blackthesoul Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1080ti

hi mate, yeah i always go by core temps then add 9c - 10c to get chip/socket temp, i thought this was the general calculation, have been browsing forums doing the same thing,. looking at AMD users 'core' temps then adding that extra 10c or so to their stated temp :)
    have added TMPIN2 temp to original post mate :)

so yeah TMPIN2 / socket temp at around 43c max load [with heating on] :)
    whereas same clocks using OCZ air cooler would be well into the 50's and rising! and at stock clocks with the stock cooler it just wouldnt stop rising at all lol [which doesn't surprise me lol :)]
    all in all im very happy with the H100 and the performance it provides so far,
    even having replaced the 4 stock fans for some 130cfm+ sharkoon fans. and alot better temps when the room door is open and there is a fresh supply of air entering the room and a fair amount of used/warm air being exhausted back out of the room :)
    i appreciate that while the h100 performs nicely [up to a certain point] and does it without taking up too much space, custom loops etc will always outperform, but i just dont have the time to set it up and maintain it [at the moment lol :)]

my only problem now is trying to keep my VRM's and such at a cool temp lol , damn that throttling feature! lol

12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    personally i think custom loops are overrated. i went from a corsair h70 to a full xspc ex360 kit with an xspc ray storm waterblock with zalman sf3 fans, ended up costing a lot more than the h70 (2-3 times as much) and only shaved 8-10C. it looks good, but the corsair kits are better bang per buck.

13. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    I've been wanting to build a custom loop for a while, but the cost of entry is just so high - especially if you want to cool more than just your cpu (which is the whole point right?)

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I started pricing components for a custom loop a few weeks ago and was amazed at the cost. Hard to justify a custom loop for a single component.... throw in a GPU water block and PCH water block....then it starts to be easier to swallow.

15. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    it would be better if you could reuse GPU blocks better. As it stands right now it seems to be:

1 - get a very expensive full cover block that will need to be replaced as soon as you upgrade, not to mention that you have to have a reference card for it to work in the first place.

2 - get a GPU only block that doesn't do anything for the VRMs or memory and stick on some little heatsinks to each.

I thought I remember swiftech or someone coming out with a system that made upgrading easier but that was a while ago...

16. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Now i found out that the D14 is to big, it will cover the ram slots on my future sabertooth z77, so i'm taking into consideration the Noctua nh c14. I've read the reviews and in some cases it beats the D14. Really impressive cooler.

17. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    I believe it's fine if it's over the RAM slots as long as your RAM sticks don't have a tall heat spreader like Corsair Vengeance or Dominator series.

18. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    yes, just get normal profile ram (I'm using Mushkin Blackline) and you will be fine. I just moved the 120mm fan on the Noctua up a notch or two when I mounted it to get enough clearance (maybe 1/8 inch? hardly any needed). I think it's only over the first ram slot too so it would only affect you if all 4 slots are populated (I need to double check this though).

You definitely don't want ram with tall heatsinks though.

19. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Yeah that's the thing, i wanted to get corsair vengeance.But the more i read the more i'm convinced that the C14 is a better solution.Weights less, smaller, cools the VRM and ram's and it can keep a core i7 2600k at 5ghz without a problem (according to reviewers). And seeing how the i7 3770k has a lower TDP and it's made on 22nm i think it will stay cooler then the 2600k.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

In that sense a £20 coolermaster hyper 212 is the best 'bang for your buck' and anything above is over-rated as after that it's always going to be diminishing returns. Having said that, custom water loops only come into play once you start to push hardware hard enough and as the heat in watts increases beyond a threshold otherwise your DT isn't going to be much above ambient to begin with.

In other words If you are going to be running a 2600k @4.5Ghz then there is absolutely no point in running a custom water loop as any cheap heatsink can handle that heat quite well and you will see very little benefit from a custom loop. That would be like buying the highest performing GPU and then running it at 1280x1024 and saying that you're not seeing a big improvement in performance when in fact you're limited by the CPU, or ambient temps in the case of the example above.

Then there's also the matter of aesthetics and noise levels, of course here it comes down to personal tolerance and affinity for improvement as some people don't mind sitting there with quite high noise levels.

I came from running a 2600k at 4.8Ghz with a Corsair H50 in push-pull and saw a 15-20c reduction in prime95 load temps; which dropped from 80-85c at full load down to 65c. I now have both my CPU and GPU in the loop and at 5GHz on the 2600k I can run my system in virtual silence, with all fans at around 600rpm, and still see load temps of 70c or below while running prime95, If I disable HT and slightly increase my fan speed to about 900rpm I see max temps of around 60c while running prime95 small FFT.

The corsair kits are great in the sense that they are an easy, hassle free way of getting into water cooling while providing slightly better performance and taking up less space than air cooling, but as I already posted for the cost of a h100 people can pickup a 120mm or similar 240mm based custom water cooling kit and have the opportunity to add better components or replace any components that may develop a fault in the long run, all while seeing much better temps once you actually start to make use of the hardware.

To say corsair kits like the h100 are better value when considering the above isn't entirely true, also judging the effectiveness of custom water cooling requires some consideration for heat mechanics in regards to how and when custom water cooling will be of benefit. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012