Replacing G15 V2

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Maziar, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Maziar

Maziar Member Guru

Hey guys
    After 6 years of working great,my Logitech G15 finally gave up and I'm looking for something to replace it.
    I was looking at G510 but some reviews mentioned that not all of the keyboard lights up equal,is that right ? Also it's kinda bigger than G15 which I may have problems putting it on my desk.
    What other options do you guys recommend ?
    Main usage is gaming/lots of typing.
    As for budget,it's not much of an issue but I prefer not to go over $150.(unless there's something worth the $)
    Thanks

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Check out corsair vengeance series and razer. They both do good keyboards.

3. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    Id go with razer blackwidow ultimate for $130. One of the best on the market those day.
    You can check out TTesport keyboards as well, razer is slightly better but TTesport are really comfortable to play on and for a quite good price. Never played on a ROCCAT but some good stuff about them.
    I think the best you can do is try to find a retailer and try the keyboards by yourself so you can see the one you feel best with.

4. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Well, for what it's worth, my G510 doesn't have any issues with uneven lighting. Every key is lit up equally on mine. I've been using the G510 since last October (got it as a birthday gift) and I've been totally satisfied with it. About the only complaint I would have for it, and this is very minor, is that I wish the back-lighting was a bit brighter. It's still useful as is, but depending on the room lighting I would have preferred it to be brighter. Although, some of the lighting colors can help with that, as some seem to show better than others, depending on the situation.

On a separate note, I don't understand why Logitech haven't jumped on the mechanical-keyboard wagon. I would buy a mechanical version of this keyboard in a heartbeat. Maybe they will in the near future, who knows?

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
  6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    For what purpose you need that backlight ? It's good practise for your typing skills when you dont look down to keyboard, improves speed and accuracy and so on. If you think that some kind of light is essential, then get a keyboard which has USB connection and buy one those those USB LED lights with flexible neck so you can use that when you need it. Also if you need more light for something, it's good because you can aim it to elsewhere...

Depending on the monitor too, but my monitor is kinda bright and near my keyboard so backlight would not benefit me at all.

I have SteelSeries 7G and can really recommend this one, 6Gv2 is also awesome (same kb without the wrist rest.

7. Maziar

Maziar Member Guru

Blackwidow looks good but I've heard the build quality isn't great.Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks for the feedback.The only downside with G510 is as I said it's size.It's bigger than G15 and I may not be able to fit it properly
    Never heard of Zibal before but that seems a great keyboard,it's a little expensive though
    Backlight isn't necessary but most of the keyboards that I've been looking at,are backlit keyboards(with the exception of SS 7G)
    Are you completely satisfied with SS 7G ? any flaws or problems ?

8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    No problems or anything to complain atm (for me). Did take some some to get used to that small backspace button (like a week), liking the big enter tho. Some people say that it's a bit loud, but that doesnt bother me.

One problem for some people might be that there that USB hub (2USB ports at kb) but only only one USB cable goes to the PC. So if you want to put say something which takes power from two USB ports this one will not be enough to power like external DVD-drive. If you are interested about that. Also those are not really very fast ports.

But for typing, gaming and so on, nothing to complain.

9. Maziar

Maziar Member Guru

By the way,how are TT challenger series ? They aren't mechanical but are notably cheaper than SS 7G/Logitech G150 etc. and have got some good reviews too

10. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    Those are very good keyboard imo, i played on them in a cybercafe that was used like 12hrs a day. So the keyboard were going through hard usage. During the weekend it was open at night so sometimes they had to handle players for more than 20hrs straight.
    very quiet, keys are really pleasant to press, the medium height keys let yours hands fly over the keyboard very easily.
    never got to use the fan though.

11. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I have had a Blackwidow for over a year now and would have to disagree with that statement. It has been totally solid for me and feels like a tank!

12. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Logitech G19?

13. Maziar

Maziar Member Guru

14. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Unless you need the extra USB ports, I'd go with the G510. Mainly because I don't like how the F keys are laid out on the Tt. The extra programmable keys and lcd screen on the G510 are a nice bonus.

15. Hangry

Hangry Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gt 550m
    id go with the Tt

16. Maziar

Maziar Member Guru

Can you explain why ?

17. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
  18. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Yeah, because he is getting paid to use that stuff. :)

To the OP, I'd say if you have a local dealer that has these keyboards to go try them out. If not, purchase from a online dealer that has a good return policy. Only way to really know if you will like them is to try them out for yourself.

19. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ I can say that from experience I do not care for Logitech keyboards. I think they make a great gaming mouse, but their keyboards do not feel right to me. Everything from the profile to the keys - just not the best choice out there. I haven't tried the TT, so I can't attest to that but you could do better than paying top dollar for another Logitech keyboard. There are better available for your money.

Have you considered a mechanical keyboard?? membrane keyboards are inferior by comparison.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Inferior in what way?