HDD prices trending down

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Tech Report published an update on HDD pricing. The site compares the pricing of six HDDs since the Thai floods and noticed that prices of three models are currently falling while pricing of the other...

More...

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I wish they were referring to SSD drives & not standard 3.5'' hd's...

As of now I still have my 2 WD raptor 10k rpm hd's...

Once SSD drives are more affordable I will be investing in one or two...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  3. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Not buying one until the prices come down to what they were before the floods..

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

5. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    ^Same.

6. marcround

marcround Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
    I wonder how long it will be until prices come back to their pre-flood levels?

7. MrH

MrH Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I paid £45 for my Spinpoint F3 if memory serves, glad I grabbed one before the problems. I currently use an 80GB SSD for Windows/Main games and I'm seriously thinking about upgrading, you can get a 120GB SSD for around £100 which is a steal, my Intel 80GB cost like £250 when I bought it back when they were new.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    ^Same.

9. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Yeah when I bought a F4 2TB for 80 bucks, you really can't beat that kind of storage price. Would like another, but wont spend the cash until its below at least 100.

10. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I remember getting my Samsung F3 1TB for $50~ a while back. Miss those prices :p

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    3 or so months from the looks of it.

12. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
    damn i remember barely paying a CAD100 for my WD Caviar Green 2TB back when it was on sale pre-flood... prolly will not buy another until prices get reasonably close...
    or when i'll have the ones i already have all filled to the rim :D

13. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen for quite a while.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    When 2TB Barracuda Greens (update to the slightly slower Barracuda LPs) were first released in the stone age I got one immediately and it was only $90 or $95 at full price. Later, a few months before the flood IIRC, I got another one on sale for something like $75. Of course the day after they could be found as cheap as $70 (every major computer store price matches here).

Buying another 2TB even though I didn't need it immediately saved me a lot of money considering they tripled in price after the flood.

I'm not not buying any new HDDs until the low speed ones drop to at least $40/TB. 3TB HDDs have been around for an eternity and even before the flood they cost a left nut, I'm looking forward to the day that 3TB+ HDDs don't cost $100/TB.

Edit: Whaaaat? The prices of the 3TB ones have plummeted, when did that happen? It couldn't have been too long ago. They can be found on sale for as cheap as $160, half the price I remember for that particular model.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I was on the verge of buying 2 raptors when the flood happened. Went cba and didn't buy them.

Hope they keep dropping but I'm running out of space, my 3TB external drives are at 80% capacity now.

16. marcround

marcround Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
    that's good, my main HDD is getting full and instead of sorting out my files like a normal person I'm just going to get another HDD lol

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    same here, I need another 1tb drive(I have to keep moving files around), and I wont buy one until prices are back to normal.

18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    good, cause i wanna grab another 3tb drive, already got 2 in my computer but they're nearly full (100gb left). :D moaaar spaaaace

19. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I run a gaming machine on a 1st Gen Raptor 73Gig drive and that is it... so its barebones big time. I have another using a 250gig drive but its half full however most of that half is just junk I really don't need or use and can re-download at any time. I'm in no hurry for a drive myself really but could stand to use a SSD on my gaming machine with a 250gig or so for storage of games and what not for it. Biggest problem I run into is fixing machines for people that have failed drives - I tell them $100 for me to install/reload and set it all back up and that does NOT include the cost of the drive which could be around $70-$80 so they really hold off on fixing a computer as money for people around my area is tight so that in turn hurts my business. When drives were around $40/50 even just that much difference they would more likely to swing it.

20. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    a 3tb drive right now cost around 170$, so a 15tb drive would cost more or less 900$.

i wish such a drive existed, i would gladly spend the money, today.

one of the worst things about computers is the fact manufacturers can't seem to deliver big drives fast enough.

the Nasa has super high tech that can travel to pluto and on earth we don't or can't have hard drives larger than 3TB!? come on! :rolleyes:

we should've had by now 300 TB drives at least, then let the customer pick the size they need from a nice big selection, 320GB up to 300TB, something for every pocket, cpu and gpu performance is one thing, you can always o/c or squeeze more performance out of your hardware, you can get away with a slower cpu, you can get away with 4GB or 8GB or Ram, you can't get away with the lack of space, you run out of space you have to compromise, delete some of your pr0n, your games, your work etc in order to free some space, that's fecking stupid.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012