Anyone "HAD" an Antec TPQ-850 ??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lazysunday, Apr 10, 2012.

1. lazysunday

lazysunday Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 HD SC 1280mb
    Has anyone in here ever had an Antec tpq 850 psu and experienced it blowing up on them? I own one at the moment and i am very concerned after reading lots of comments of others blowing up after 3mnth, 6mnth,1yr,3yrs. Sometimes with catastrophic consequences. if you read the feedback on this page youll see what i mean.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371009

Also read in other places.
    I have not experienced any issues with mine yet after 6mnths but im not sure i want to take the risk. I emailed Antec they just said they can replace it if i am having problems with it. Basically didnt answer my question.

Should i get rid of it or just wait and see what happens?

2. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
  3. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Antec PSUs are generally considered to be quality units. I don't think I would replace one simply because other people had a problem with theirs. Every company will produce power supplies that have failures, and a company as big a Antec makes a lot of PSUs. Some are going to fail more catastrophically then others.

My well regarded Silverstone PSU just blew up the other day (although mine went out with more of a whimper than a bang - lucky for me). I replaced it with the Seasonic X1050 (I notice maxfly is a fan, too), which was just about the best reviewed, nicest built 1000w PSU I could find short of the Seasonic Platinum. So, if you REALLY want peace of mind, you can always upgrade - but I really don't think I'd bother.