So I'm thinking of selling my 7970 for a 680 on account of Skyrim...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by insomniac3334, Apr 2, 2012.

1. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I can't believe what I'm reading here. There is NO way a 7970 won't run ANY game maxed out,provided you're not running at a very high resolution. I'm an Nvidia user,but I have a couple of friends with the 7970,and they have no issues with SKYRIM,or any other game for that matter. It may not be a driver issue at all. Every system is set up differently. It could be a windows issue,or just about anything you have loaded on your PC. Give that 7970 a chance. It's a new card,and bound to have some driver issue etc. You can have just as many driver issues with Nvidia. I know. I have had issues. They did get fixed with driver updates. Same goes for the 7970. A bit more time is all that is needed. Patience.

2. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    If you want to make the switch, maybe you should.

For me one game isn't really worth it, and if it were skyrim would not be that game.

But i guess each to their own, I've had all sorts of drivers for ati/nvidia.

There's always problems, but ati drivers should be better then what they are imo.

I own a 6870 which runs skyrim easily tbh, and it's a decent game.

I'd like to see a video of what is so bad with the game on your gpu.

Skyrim isn't exactly nextgen when it comes to graphics anyway. Alot of pc games aint, that's why they are modded to hell and back.

No game really pushes today's pcs. Shame really.

3. ibfr33k

ibfr33k Guest

GPU:
    Asus Fury X
  4. insomniac3334

insomniac3334 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 WindForce 3x
    OMG that's pretty much it to a T. I've reinstalled Windows let alone the drivers billions of times, and with two different models of 7970, and it still happens.

And stuff like this too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puZftjv7Dds

(obviously my FPS is as smooth as can be, but the shadow glitches are still very similar)

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Kinda silly to switch over an old game with continues used jokes.

6. insomniac3334

insomniac3334 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 WindForce 3x
    Well there are basically two games I play: BF3, which the 680 runs better, and Skyrim, which it supposedly runs better on in addition to looking better on nVidia cards in general. It seems to make sense since I would be able to get 90% of the cost of the 680 back from selling the 7970, right?

I also play SC2 but that isn't really going to run any better/worse on either card.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Are you using the EB mod for Skyrim?

8. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    The Skyrim Shadow Issue is just a problem with the game engine, you need to do some .ini editing to fix it. And even doing this is far from perfect. The game just has very poor real-time shadows. No way to really fix it.

9. redviper6

redviper6 Guest

GPU:
    1TB
    I am doing the same, I can't stand the crossfire setup of 6950s anymore. Way too much trouble especially since I can't update to the 12.4 drivers because I have Win8. The only way I got the flickering to stop was to use the Enb series patch. I don't really blame ATI for this, skyrim can be a terribly coded game, but the 680 is very sweet price/performance wise.

And since we are buying 14,000 kepler teslas for Titan, I might as well get some personal hardware with CUDA support.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Show off comment far from what's real?
    Your personal hardware is nothing compared too, it's like setting up a noob vs a world champion.
    You can't really work on it in the same way either when it comes to large programs and tons of number crunching, your home cards will get exhausted before it is done.

11. redviper6

redviper6 Guest

GPU:
    1TB
    Don't be an idiot. Titan will have 14k keplers. I develop on titan. I would rather have a kepler than a GCN. Its got nothing to do with how much much horsepower a card has. Its got more to do with does it have the same language for development.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    3 post and already calling people idiot? Bravo

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    you *develop* on Titan?

wtf are you developing on Titan, mr. doorman hoping to become an Oak Ridge Lab doorman

so you can take some of the work > home, right?

:thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    he develops on Titan hahhaha oh lordie im gonna shoot myself

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    On Windows 8 BETA, where you whine about the AMD drivers... right

Titan will have 18k keplers btw.
    Do your homework before bragging about something that you clearly don't even get close to.

16. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    nm..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012