LOW GPU usage

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Ydur, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Ydur

Ydur Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690 Classified
    I am having low gpu usage while playing some games, such as rift, Skyrim and fifa 12. Skyrim and fifa 12 are working very well, because even with 60% gpu usage both run over 100 fps (in fifa 12 I have to turn the vsync to avoid tearing because it runs up to 200 fps and my monitor is 120hz).
    But in RIFT'm having serious problems with both gpus usage at 30% and 18 fps in the events and 20 men raids.
    Out of events and raids I have 95% gpu usage in open maps but only 40% gpu usage at Sanctum (main city).
    More people at screen = less gpu usage... Should not the opposite happen?
    Change the game settings from ultra to low doesn't give me 1 fps
    I'm using 301.10 drivers version atm, but tested with 285.62, 296.10 and some beta drivers.
    My machine:
    Core i5-2500k @ 4,5 ghz (100x45) + corsair h70
    8 gb ddr3 1600 gskill sniper
    evga gtx 590
    mobo Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 bios f7
    Benq xl2410t 120hz
    some screenshots playing BF3 (ultra settings) with good gpu usage and fps and rift (mixed from ultra and high) with low gpu usage and low fps:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any tip?
    Thanks in advance.

2. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Your CPU bottlenecked for Rift, Skyrim and FIFA 12 causes low GPU usage except BF3 (since ~800x600* or higher), Crysis 2 (1024x768 or higher), Aliens vs. Predator 2010 (any resolution :D). Therefore, sounds it's normal. ;)

* - I don't test yet but yes min 1280x720 only. :)

3. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Nah not CPU bound to that extent. Run task manager in the background on slow update and report back with a graph of the results like this:

[​IMG]

4. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    playing MMORPG's like RIFT, requires CPU power to "predict" their movement through the game's engine.

It goes hand in hand with your network chip (whether its on-board or dedicated) because when 20 players are on your screen at once, the CPU needs to keep telling your network adapter to keep sending out data to request the other players/clients movements in real-time.

So if your CPU is at the same time, being held up by sending high quality graphic data to the GPU and continuously reading other players' moves, your going to get low graphics utilization since its waiting for the CPU.

Could also be RIFT's engine, but im not sure since i've never played it.

5. Ydur

Ydur Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690 Classified
    i5 2500k @ 4,5 ghz is caiusing a bottlenecked?? What kind of cpu I need? 6 ghz nitrogen overclocked? ^^
    Just kidding, I don't understand what is happening because its started in RIFT 2 weeks ago.

6. angmar

angmar Guest

your def cpu bottlenecked in skyrim I cant even max out my 480 in skyrim a lot of the time let alone a 590.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there is no way that is cpu bottleneck. If it is cpu bottleneck then i and the grandmaster of the universe....

I go with something in rift changed (patches?) or nvidia still needs to get cracking on better drivers.

8. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    MMO games can get bottleknecked to do with Internet/Server Load (Resourses and Network) MMO are a bad test for System benchmarks unless u can guarantee no Server Overload or Network Problems

9. connta

connta Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX660Ti TwinFrozr IV
    i have the similar issues in WoW, mainly i got 60fps everywhere but in Ogrimmar prime time when theres a lot of ppl my GPU and CPU usage is never at full, actually it never went over 70% for CPU and 60% for GPU and the framerate is still not 60 (its around 47-50) while theres a lot of power doing nothing on both CPU and GPU...

i say its the network/engine issue, maybe network cant keep up and makes a bottleneck somehow or its just a crappy engine that gets confused with a lot of stuff on screen...

10. PCTECHTRONICS

PCTECHTRONICS Banned

GPU:
    XFX 7970 H20
    please do not listen to the dumb ass that said its your cpu He is a dumb ass!!

11. PCTECHTRONICS

PCTECHTRONICS Banned

GPU:
    XFX 7970 H20
    No way in hell Rift is being bottle necked by a i5 at 4.5. It is a spit in the eye of rational thought. Rift!! LOL

12. PCTECHTRONICS

PCTECHTRONICS Banned

GPU:
    XFX 7970 H20
    You have to realize 90% of the people on here are just unemployed dudes at home with no College background or degrees at all. They are just telling you there uneducated opinion. They have no idea how Computer Science really works. They say bottleneck because they dont know and that the standard response now. I just laugh at the things that are said on here. I haven't got advice from people on here since I was 12. its not a hardware problem at all. Its software. Period! Them games dont run right and they may never run the way you want.The bottom line is. Some company's have smarter engineers and developers then others. Thats it. So in there mind you need to go buy a higher end CPU.lol Core 2 Duo 2.2 will run Rift

13. bloodfx

bloodfx Guest

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Can you explain it to me in technical terms please?

14. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    The game engine is the issue, it's not properly optimized. I have the same problem on Lineage 2, I have ~20fps even down to 12~15 when hundreds of people are displayed although my CPU runs at 15% (yeah 15%...) and my GPU at 30%.

And I have an i7@4ghz and 680 GTX. GG.

Basically you can't do much about that :/ At least in Lineage 2 we have a "low detail" mode helping a bit during heavy loads, but still, it sux.

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    ENB with no effects (just completely vanilla, no effects or changes to the game) will peg the GPU at 99% in Skyrim, along with more VRAM for texture load, thanks to AntiBSOD and AntiFREEZE built into it.

16. Ydur

Ydur Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690 Classified
    Recently they launched a patch to merge some servers and implement "hardware optimizations".
    Today I'll test cpu and gpu utilizations in raid and outside raid.

17. Ydur

Ydur Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690 Classified
    As u can see the game is not pusshing my cpu and gpu enough.
    Screenshot of CPU usage during gameplay:

[​IMG]

18. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    I have been getting some weird lag in bf3 like spikes and what not. I ask people on servers if they experience the same since last patch and most have said "yes" or its your POS comp.. I just laugh and go right... People that say cpu is such a huge bottleneck usually have no idea what they are talking about. For this, Rift most likely is a software problem or a driver bug issues.

19. xaudiox

xaudiox Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuff OC
    Getting tired of people shouting CPU bottleneck all of the time, you would have to have an 3/4 year old CPU to have any chance of a bottleneck.
    Your 2500k is plenty for now and future gaming.

Check nVidia forums if other people have your problem, if not report it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  20. sunkid

sunkid Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1070 Ti
    :rolleyes:

Again, the CPU bottleneck story... :rolleyes:

No offence, but I wouldn't want advices from you. Jeez!

Regarding games like Skyrim and Rift, the tech guy is quite right. It's all about how well some coders are doing their job. Obviously in Gamebryo engine (Skyrim), they were lacking seriously the programming skill. And we can see this in lots of games powered by the same engine.

I have 2 PCs in my house. One with a X3 450 CPU and the other a i5 2500k CPU. Needless to say, the i5 is a beast and by no means a game like Rift or Skyrim should bottleneck performance here.

On a side note I am experiencing low GPU usage in Assassin's Creed Revelations. Now that's another game with code ported from ass. It bothers me ALOT that we tend to blame our PCs for not being fit for a certain game, when in reality it's all about bad coding or marketing reflected in the producer's desires to force you to always upgrade your hardware, even if, most of the time, is not needed.