So I'm thinking of selling my 7970 for a 680 on account of Skyrim...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by insomniac3334, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    That guy is enjoying beta test :D
    I know about texture problems, it's new architecture, nm :wanker:
    I was thinking about 680 GTX, after watching this movie. I think to buy one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJPmY13Jmr8
    Nice promo, I like B2 and what they done here with PhysX.
    But when I remember PhysX bugs and low GPU usage on Nvidia cards with this feature on... :bang:
    Would be great if they will use PhysX 3.0 SDK or how they call it :wanker:

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The card is working fine. I'd prefer the disappearing textures over the disappearing ground clutter I got with the 560Ti....lol. The issue has to be the game cuz regardless of which card I use, something disappears...lol.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Driver not reponding bug? never heard of it
    Check the skyrim thread, any amd driver threads, and you will notice just about everybody has problems. Trying to troll?

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    do you have to ask that question?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Maybe not.. More of a rhetorical question lol.

7. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    From a money point of view, I would not sell it, unless the loss is minor. If that´s the case ditch it, you´ll get more performance, less noise, less heat and MUCH better drivers.

8. insomniac3334

insomniac3334 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 WindForce 3x
    OK, so should I go for the 2GB or 4GB? I mean, I'm never gonna be playing on anything more than a 1080p TV, and im sure years down the line I'd get another for SLI...

9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Bro, I'm not blind and am very picky about Image Quality. That is why I have the rig I do.

I have zero issues with Skyrim, honest.

I use updated CAPS and Catalyst 12.4. No flickering/slowdowns at all. I just choose TESV from the application profiles and apply it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you care to post a vid?

11. angmar

angmar Guest

At 1080p I see no reason to go for the 4GB....I only have 1.5gb on my 480 and that has been plenty for 1920x1080 for me.

12. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    sell it and get a freaking 550ti will play the same prolly the game sucks on pc coding wise.

13. streakpt

streakpt Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 290 Crossfire
    I bought skyrim and i couldn't play it at first because of driver issues (which i fixed), but then i tried to use the textures to the max and my GPU just couldn't take it because of the 1Gb mem(so im going to wait to get a new card and play the game if full GFX), granted i can still play it well i just chose not to. AMD as some issues with drivers and Xfire sometimes(Nvidia does aswell), but, at least for me it always gets fixed... granted that its later than soon™(BF3 xD) but it gets fixed.

My next buy is going to be a single GPU probably Nvidia not because im a fan boy or i hate AMD, just because both cards are about the same price and Nvidia is a bit better single GPU wise. Usually i go Nvidia-AMD-Nvidia-AMD depends what's better for me.

But i get it, some people have bad experiences with AMD or Nvidia and then its harder for them to get back at it. Just be reasonable and don't flame about it, i rather flame why the hell are the GPUs prices so high xD

14. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    OP did you try the 12.4 betas here with the latest CAPS here ?

I'm not getting any flickering with the above setup.

But if you can't solve it, its obviously bothering you and you can get good money selling your 7970 - then a 680 may be the right choice for you (it sounds like that's what you want to do anyway as why would you have posted in the nVidia fanb.. I mean forum section )

From your list of games you play you probably would be better with the 680, if you game at stock clocks on your 7970.
    The 680 at stock is faster in Skyrim, BF3 & Starcraft II, but slower in ARMA II, so i guess you need to decide where you need the performance.

15. insomniac3334

insomniac3334 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 WindForce 3x
    I'm still somewhat new to the whole AMD thing, whats this CAP thing? And the link you gave me only links to this CAP download, not an actual driver download. By "latest" 12.4 beta drivers, do you mean the one stickied on the AMD board?

thanks!

16. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    CAP means Crossfire Application profile. Like the name says it´s game profiles for Crossfire.
    Sometimes, those CAP´s include forced Antialiasing compatibility for some games, like UT3 engines ones.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Not to choose sides or anything but my Skyrim experience finally got perfect when I switched from 5850CF to GTX 680

18. insomniac3334

insomniac3334 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 WindForce 3x
    OK, so I uninstalled the AMD drivers through Control Panel, then restarted. Then I used Driver Sweeper to wipe away all remaining AMD Display stuff and restarted again. Then, I installed the 12.4 drivers.

Skyrim now won't even start, when I launch it from steam it goes to the game menu, and when I click "Play" it gives me a "Skyrim has stopped working" error.

BF3 runs fine, in fact it runs better then before. Beautifully. I have tried verifying the game cache through Steam, restarting, everything. Any ideas??

19. insomniac3334

insomniac3334 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 WindForce 3x
    Fixed, it was the CAP profiles. Uninstalling them fixed it.

20. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Oh thats odd, no probs for me with those CAPs, anyway they arent crucial for single cards iirc.

So did the 12.4 beta solve the flickering and potentially save you some $$ then ?