Samsung Galaxy S2 Thread

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Li4m79, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    agreed, but you can flash an official unbranded ROM. Its the same release just untouched by the UK carriers..

Each to their own though

2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I know that (and will be doing so if needs be), however the official unbranded UK rom isn't out yet like I already said. Anyway his is a generic unbranded anyway, so should get it from KIES on release.

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    personally i like have an official rm saved from carrerr, if a problem occur ( can be anything, camera down etc ), i can return the phone... maybe they will see i have root it, maybe they will not even control it.. maybe they will not care.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  4. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    well they'll know because of the counter. unless you wipe that.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, what's the limit on the counter? Before it needs jigging?

6. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Don't think you need jigging anymore, the guy who made cf-root has an app that removes it or something.

and isn't it 2? since when it gets to two, it starts showing the yellow triangle on boot.

7. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Only one custom kernel for the yellow triangle... trangle away can be found on the market or on xda forums and you can only use it with ics... I recently used it with no problems but it can brick your phone so make sure you read up.

I don't think there is a limit though. But as I said triangle away worked fine for me and that was using litening rom ..

8. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    anyone notice the camera update for LR 2.2 on LRT?

9. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    yeah, LR 2.2 needs to be downloaded from the website, I think the camera apk is missing from that rom, so its included there.

Personally i'm sticking with v2.1 just now. Its super rock solid stable for me just now.. i use ICS camera_ as my default camera anyway, you can get it on the market, its the AOSP camera but so much faster at loading and taking pictures

10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Getting rid of the triangle doesn't reset the trip counter last I checked.

11. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Trangle away resets the counter, thus getting rid of the triangle, thats why its to be used with caution...its not just deleting the triangle image....

12. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    I'm on XXLPQ, the official unbranded Polish 4.0.3. Ridiculously easy to flash with Odin and didn't even lose my apps or anything. My 2680mAh Japanese battery should be arriving tomorrow and I just had a go with the MHL cable I bought off ebay for £7 for sh*ts and giggles. Pretty cool but it doesn't seem like it's outputting in 1080i? My TV thinks it is but the imagine looks kind of low-res.

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    O2 UK also out now yet still no generic unbranded released from the idiots at samsung...

14. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Dont blame samsung. Its the carriers who want this.

15. Psycho101

Psycho101 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    As someone who has been running DXLP7 since its release, and I can honestly say that ICS on the GS2 really isn't worth getting excited about. I It works decently, is pretty stable but does lack the polish and slickness of any Gingerbread firmware since release.

Battery life for me is better on Gingerbread (I'm clear of wakelocks, identical apps installed, identical usage etc), and the GB browser is so much nicer to use. The Scrolling is subjectively better too.

Samsungs take on ICS is made a little more bearable using Nova Launcher, and Siyah Kernel Beta I and the ExTweaks application, but by no means is the update a must have.

Seems to me that Samsung have their a-team working on GS3 software and that ICS for the S2
    is a half arsed rush job that doesn't show the care and attention the original FW got.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

16. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Of course I can blame Samsung, it's their choice when they release it.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    also completely useless to me because it's missing half the settings the standard camera has, most importantly iso settings.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Just to kind of throw this out there, any updates that go to phones are decided upon both the carrier and the manufacturer, it's completely dependent on the phone's popularity at this point though. Phones that the manufacturers sell unbranded, updates come from them. Now say these carriers have these unbranded phones branded to them, they get the update from the manufacturer, and tweak it to add in certain apps or change a few things. So Carrier A and Carrier B could both have the Smartphone 1, but Carrier A's version might be the only version to release update 1.5 on it. (If you're rooted though, 9/10 times this isn't an issue)

For popularity though, if the phone sells then it gets the update. Take here in the US for example, the Droid X2. The Droid X2 is a Tegra 2 4.3, 2.3.6 CDMA phone. Has 1024mb of memory as well, same as the Xoom which already runs Honeycomb, same as the Atrix which runs the webtop which I believe is debian? And same as the Photon 4g which is confirmed to get ICS. But because the X2 didn't have the popularity the first X had, the X2 is not getting and ICS updates, just regular security updates.

Now you have some of the manufacturers that don't update devices not because they can't handle it, but they can't handle the new OS requirements plus their own customizations. The Galaxy S is a great example of this by the way!

19. rpps13

rpps13 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GB
    I've already given up on the stock Samsung ROMs because TouchWiz is just terrible:puke2: on top of the default ICS interface. Fortunately almost everything works on CyanogenMod 9 now (save FM radio [useless] and tv-out) so I have no reason whatsoever to go back to a Samsung ROM, it's ironic that third party developers ended up with a better ICS ROM than Samsung...

20. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    Not really that Ironic...... look at the games industry and the standard of third party Mods!!!

For your average Joe you gotta give samsung some credit, but its great that other Devs take it to the next level. And its good that Samsung don't have the phone all locked down like other companies do......Yes SONY you!!.. lol

EDIT: Upgraded to LR 2.5 Yesterday!!!.... WOW..... much better battery than 2.1, faster (well it seems faster) its using ths Syiah Kernel.... but just seems a lot more together!! not that it felt loose before.. Very happy with LitePro's work!

[​IMG]
    LiteningROM

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012