Is one 7970 = to two 5870 crossfire?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by geppwnd, Mar 7, 2012.

1. geppwnd

geppwnd Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680
    Not according to few game reviews from guru3d
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-sli-review/14
    Check out other games as well, two 5870 is a bit faster than one 7970
    Now the GTX 680 really looks tempting to grab, price is a bit cheaper too. This is going to be fun as both AMD and Nvidia compete, I will win by picking the cream of the crop! :bounce:

2. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    No definitive answer to this question unfortunately as crossfire is so temprimentle, crap most of the time then may be good for the odd game.

3. geppwnd

geppwnd Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680
    Had to remove the cooler assembly and remove all that excessive junk and clean it up. Then I applied OCZ freeze and now it drop the temps to 85c max. That's a good 6c less.

4. angmar

angmar Guest

Does it even say anywhere that they are obligated to replaced your second card if its not broke...never heard of that..

5. geppwnd

geppwnd Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680
    Think out of the box mate... and read evga or XFX warranty terms your self on their site.
    If they don't have your video card model because it's discontinue from the manufacture and not in circulation any more, they will have to send you one another one that will match the RMA card they send you back. This only applies to crossfire and SLI setup systems. There is an option you can mark on the RMA forum if you have dual GPU setup.

6. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    i have a 7970 and i run BF3 @ 1080p and 4xmsaa with post process on and all the bells and whistles...

it only used maximum i seen was 1.2 gigs of v-ram. However that was the beginning couple parts of the game.. maybe later it might use more but unlikely

7. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Just picked up a pair of 5870 for CF on my spare rig. Just would like to know how is the CF scaling with the latest drivers ?. Cards yet to arrive, but would like to know what to expect.

8. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    CF scales pretty good now with the 58xx series. I'm running the 12.2 Preview drivers and latest CAP.

9. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X

But from your specs you are not running CF set up. Anyone out there running 5870 CF can tell me ? I have seen the bench with old drivers but i want to know how they are with the new ones ..

10. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    I am, it's just that I ran out of room in that field. I'm running a Sapphire Eyefinity 6 2GB 5870 and an XFX 1GB 5870 in CF as well as in Eyefinity.

11. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    ok cheers mate.

12. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    My HD5970 usually runs at HD5870 clocks (pump clocks up to 1 Ghz only for benchmarks) and I think the HD7970 isn't worthy the upgrade.

Like others said, one HD7970 saves you from CF issues (although with new drivers, scaling is very good) and saves your power bills payments.

I read people writing that the HD7970 and HD5970 performances are closer. Well, yeah, they are but, you must keep the HD5970 in 2XMSAA in BF3 and Tessalation x16 (or lower) in Crysis 2 so the card can keep up with the HD7970. The new AMD Tahiti architecture is much better rendering games with DX11 implemented features.

If you have the chance of changing the HD5870 CF setup for a single HD7970 without extra costs, then I would suggest you to get the card with no reservations at all. But, buying a new HD7970 as a replacement for the HD5870 CF is a bad deal, imo.

13. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    If the cost is not so high... for me the upgrade is worthly. The HD7970 is significant faster in every single way compared to the HD5870 CFX, plus the DX11 opt. and extra memory needed for the upcoming games at high resollutions.

14. Portuogral

Portuogral Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Is it faster? Yes. Is it significant faster? No, I don't think so.

Well, I don't like to talk about games that aren't yet available and for what I know, the games that really take advantage from HD7970 (and GTX680) are coming out next year only (2013).
    But, I agree that if one has an Eyefinity multi-display setup, the HD7970 will be worthy, yeah. ;)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012