ASUS Sabertooth x79

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by AusROM, Mar 3, 2012.

1. AusROM

AusROM Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ATi HD6950(2G) CUII
    I am researching for some major PC upgrades to do in August and I have my evil eyes fixed on the Sabertooth x79 Motherboard. What interests me the most though is the cooler that will do my planned CPU the best justice, the Intel Core i7 3930k.
    I am looking at the Thermaltake CNPS12X CPU Cooler but i am not convinced it will NOT overlap my planned Corsair Vengence Performance series (Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL9 Vengeance Performance with XMP 1.3 for AMD, Intel P67, Z68 and X79 Platforms) and I want the full 32 GB Quad channel setup.

Can anyone offer me advice or knowledge?

PS: For the life of me I cannot find a place or site to check all the motherboards dimensions to cross check this because the CNPS12X gives dimensions to check and follow.

2. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SLI 800/2000
    What's up AusROM? I've never heard of the Thermaltake CNPS12X, are you sure you have the correct part number? Thermaltake Coolers part numbers start with a CPL as far as I can see.

Zalman makes a CNPS12X, but I wouldn't recommend it if your wanting to run 32GB of Corsair Vengeance (with the tall heatspreaders). You'd be better off looking at the Corsair H80 or H100 in that price range.

3. AusROM

AusROM Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ATi HD6950(2G) CUII
    Heya Slaymate. Long time man. Great to seeya again>

Off course as always you are right and I got it wrong, Thanks for correcting me there. Yes I should have said Zalman.

My thinking here would be that The better Heatsinks on the Ram would be more advantageous. but as far as I can tell the CPU cooler would sit 2 mil to low, but off course i need to confirm this, but i do indeed like the look of this CPU cooler.

4. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SLI 800/2000
    I have a (2x4GB) set of Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz C8 and from a distance they looked pretty cool with the tall heatspreaders. But up close you can see that there cheaply made and they really don't serve a purpose. The modules only need 1.5v so heat really isn't a big problem. I removed the tall heatspreaders from my Vengeance modules and replaced them with regular sized heatspreaders. If I had a do over I would buy some G.Skill modules instead.

5. AusROM

AusROM Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ATi HD6950(2G) CUII
    well said. thanks. I will look into that for sure.

6. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Just get the Vengeance Low Profile series. I have them and they fit with my Phanteks twin tower cooler.

7. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    See my specs. I just built it and it really is a dream pc. the mobo is a beast when OC! i just need to change my ram perhaps.

8. TeuTonic

TeuTonic Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX680 DirectCUiiTOP
    I just had mine built last week with 16gb of 1866 Vengence Ram and they did'nt work to well with my Sabertooth x79. They were 1866 Quad Red s/n 052324 120500482. I was getting hard feezes during gaming. I tested three different games and all froze hard. Check the board manual and make sure you get compadable ram.

Oh...I am using the NH-D14 cpu cooler and had to use low profile ram or the cooler would'nt fit with the high fins on the vengence. I had first the Vengence with the high fin heat sinks. The vendor called me and said I had to go low profile for the cpu cooler to fit. So he swapped them for the low profile vengence. They did'nt work well anyway so I ended up with low profile Kingston.

Now my system runs as smooth as baby **** through the eye of a needle.

Good luck with you build.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    So are the vengeance not compatible with x79 boards or what?

10. leet1

leet1 Guest

GPU:
    7770hd saffire
    Im having some issues with the corsair vengence on my sabertooth x79 8gb kit speeds in bios are set to 1600 but aida is only showing 800mhz, i may try to update the bios....
    regardless the sabertoothx79 and 3820 is a ridiculous combination their are alot of haters that dont know what their talking about my cpu queen test just posted 61500.... the 3960 runs are at 62100 im sure i could get over 63000 if i unplugged my usb devices from mobo, also could reach 5.2ghz but im running a stable o\c @ 4.8 1.395 x40 typing this at 29c

11. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012