Problem after flash HD 6950

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Snyderman34, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Snyderman34

Snyderman34 Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 x2
    Ok everyone, I have a problem. I wanted to try to flash my HD 6950 (xfx-695x-cnfc) to a 6970. I looked everything up, read about it, and was pretty confident going into it. After flashing, my computer didn't want to boot. I put in my other (non flashed 6950) and everything worked fine. I did some more looking around and found that my card was a non reference model (no BIOS switch) and instead of using a downloaded BIOS I should have used RBE. At this point I'm pretty sure that the card isn't working after I tried to flash it (atiwinflash said verified, so I know it flashed it). Is there anything I can do to reflash it back to factory BIOS, or fix it in general? I've searched everywhere and can't find an answer.

EDIT: For clarity, if the bad card is in PC won't start. If good and bad card are in, I can see all the way to the "Starting Windows" but it freezes there. With both in and plugged into onboard video it will go past the "Starting Windows" but then I will lose video, like it's defaulting to the PCI-E even though I forced onboard video through the BIOS).

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

3. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    hi, you can try to start your in safe mode by pressing F8, then if you manage to boot you can make a backup bios with GPUz of your second card (non flash)if it's the same a the card you flash, if not go here http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/ and dl the right bios for your card and flash it back.

edit: ok same idea as the message above

4. Jonup

Jonup Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 828/1944/2500
    Sorry to bring the bad news, but I had similar situation after a bad flash on HD6850. Used a BIOS from a board with two power connectors and after that any computer would not post with that card in it. I just bought a new card and returned the old (bricked) one. If you are having the same problem, you will not be able to do a blind flash sinse the PC would not power up.

5. Snyderman34

Snyderman34 Guest

GPU:
    HD6950 x2
    I was able to get it working again using the DOS usb stick. Really thought i had a $280 doorstop for a bit. Thanks for the help everyone!