AMD Radeon HD 7850 and 7870 review

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    They look like a great deal! and great pricing for sure.

3. STARWOLF760

STARWOLF760 Member

GPU:
    AMD Sapphire 7970
    awesome review, ty for the information and the tests.

4. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    Good stuff. Now if only Nvidia would bring out their cards I could start thinking about which one to buy^^

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Looks like a really in-depth review.
    While on this topic, has anyone seen any reviews that compare them with the 5000-series? Seeing as they are among the most used cards by steam users I could see many potential upgrades from that crowd.

6. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Hmm... I'll wait to see what the price looks like — and I'll wait for nvidia to release their lineup as well.

Well, that's a nice idea indeed; I don't think all the buyers are HD6000 series videocards owners anyway.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Unfortunately it seems they won't be going for the same price as the cards they're supposedly replacing. The HD7870 supposedly has a starting price of $349. If this is true, and Kepler is as fast as Nvidia and fanbois claim, then they really stuck with what they can do. Have a fair price drop to bring back price/performance ratio and make current owners feel greatly ripped off, or leave it high and lose sales.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, that is what is confusing me and making me think that Kepler might not be as cheap, or as fast as people are saying.
    Maybe AMD know something and that is why they are pricing it high because they know they wont have any competition, or maybe they know it is fast and cheap so are trying to get in as much money as possible.
    If it's the latter, it would be a bad business decision that would lose them many fans.

So far, it appears AMD are willing to give you an upgrade in performance, but only if you increase the price to a good bit more than you paid for your present card.

6870-7870 is a great upgrade, but if 6870 owners were willing to pay the price AMD want for the 7870, surely many, if not most would of got a 6970 previously.

9. isti84

isti84 Guest

GPU:
    RX480 4GB
    Stupid Question

Hi Everybody! I'm new in this forum, so I'll be quick about my question. I have a Corsair CX430, 430W PSU. I'd like to buy a 7850 graphics card. Will my PSU enough for this card, or shall I replace it? My system: PhenomII 1055T with an ASUS SB880/750 AMD board, and a 5670 AMD GPU.Thanks for the advice. Sincerely István

Btw, I read this site for long time. Good, detailed and objective tests made. Keep up the good work.

10. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Seeing as 28 A is the minimum recommended for the HD6870, I'd say you do need a new PSU for an HD7870. However, I think you should start a whole new topic if you want advice on which PSU you should get. Better not derail other threads... ;)

---

Oh, what was I thinking? Welcome aboard and have a nice stay. :)

11. isti84

isti84 Guest

GPU:
    RX480 4GB
    Hi!

Thanks for the quick help. I reconsider my rig, and get a new PSU :).

István