3rd defective PSU in a row

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Unreal_br, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Unreal_br

Unreal_br Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX660ti SC 2GB
    Basically, help!
    About 2 months ago I switched from a Q6600 + D975XBX2 to a FX-8120 + M5A97PRO and when that happend my old Huntkey 550W PSU started producing some high frequency noise that kept scaling and in 1 month exploded some capacitors in the PSU.
    So I bought a Corsair CX500 and this one started producing some high frequency noise when the PC was turned off but still plugged to the wall, so I went where I bought it today and changed my CX500 for a GS600, wich should be able to handle even better my setup but 20min after plugging it I am noticing that high pitch noise, IN A BRAND NEW PSU.

What could be causing that? I already changed the power cord, and the wall socket but still the noise wont go away.
    HELP PLEASE!

PS: That happens when CPU load is under 20%, mostly when browsing that it goes from 3% to 10%, when I set some CPU intensive benchmarks or games the noise just goes away.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    capacitor whining.. but are you sure it's your psu and not the mobo, gpu?

3. Mike V

Mike V Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor
    Mine does it too. The noise even changes when i use different gpu's but never goes away completely. A lot of Corsair units seem to have this problem.

Mine has been doing it for months and i haven't noticed any problems so far.

4. Unreal_br

Unreal_br Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX660ti SC 2GB
    Yes, I got a Obsidian 700D and I can pinpoin the noise to the PSU.

Yeah, I was talking with some friends and it seems that Corsair is using some very low quality stuff in it's PSUs, a friend of mine got the same problem with the same PSU and a guy that plays with me had the same noise, in 3 months his 800W Corsair burned.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I first got a Corsair unit when I built the i7 rig 18 months ago. That whined so I mailed Corsair, they said it was a known issue and to return to store, which I did. Swapped for bequiet, which I regretted after 3 of them died on me/fried various bits of hardware. If you're having PSU trouble, go with Enermax, well worth the money.

6. Unreal_br

Unreal_br Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX660ti SC 2GB
    Cost is the problem for me and Corsair has the best value here in Brazil, I was even thinking about buying an 850W+ full modular Corsair PSU but now I don't know if I want to go this route.
    As of now I'll keep watch and see if it gets worse.

Thanks all for the info so far.

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Dunno how bad the whine is on yours, but on my Corsair it was very noticable, all the time, especially when the PC was off, very annoying.

8. Unreal_br

Unreal_br Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX660ti SC 2GB
    My CX500 had some mild noise when off, this GS600 has a low noise while under sub-10% loads, and this is only because the PSU has about 8h of use as of now.

9. Unreal_br

Unreal_br Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX660ti SC 2GB
    I have it in my mind that it could be a mobo issue since it's the 3rd PSU i've had since i switched from my Q660 to my FX8120 and none of them generates any noise on the Q6600.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    TX units are the best. CX/HX series are cheaper OEM models...

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

AX units are the best, TX are the second best. You are correct though, I'd personally stay clear of the CX/HX models.

In terms of the TX, remember that the V2's are out, such that the model numbers are now:
    TX-650 V2
    TX-750 V2
    TX-850 V2

At least locally, the Corsair TX-650 V2 Power Supply isn't much more than the cheaper versions. Personally, since I have had great experience from my current PSU, I would probably go for a SuperFlower Golden Green 80+ Gold power supply or even their platinum range over getting anything but a AX Corsair or a X- Seasonic.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
  12. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    hello,
    500 watts seems well low to me,i was using that rating for a dual core pc.

13. Unreal_br

Unreal_br Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX660ti SC 2GB
    As I've said, I was running a processor as hungry as the FX8120, the Q6600 with a 550W passive PFC from 2008 without issues. So with an active PFC 500W was enough, just that it started giving me those issues.
    Still haven't figured out what's wrong here...

14. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    hello,
    have you tried taking the gpu or a drive or two out and seen if that helps?
    might be just that little less juice makes it work
    http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

sorry if this seem like rubbish advice,iam just a warehouse worker not a pc tech.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The Corsair lineup in terms of quality/performance is actually the AX > HX > TX > GS > CX. Thats the reason HX is always more expensive than TX at retailers, ie @newegg TX750v2 = $90, HX750 = $150.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Just saw that on my local retailers site....try not to laugh at our prices...:nerd:

[​IMG]

Hey mate don't be so hard on yourself...:)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  17. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Jeez I often think I'm glad I don't live in NZ,Au,UK the prices are way high.

18. Unreal_br

Unreal_br Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX660ti SC 2GB
    Already did so, no difference at all, but ty for the advice.
    And as I said, the problem ain't when it's on LOAD, it's when the processor load is UNDER 10%.

19. Unreal_br

Unreal_br Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX660ti SC 2GB
    Awesome!
    Had my local retailer replace my old Asus M5A97PRO today with a Gigabyte 990XA-UD3.
    Aweome board, much better than my old Asus one, same price, more stuff.
    I managed to swap them and still keep my Windows, just finished installing it.

This is how it's looking as of now. Ugly-as-hell motherboard though

[​IMG]

PS: Mods, you are welcome to close the topic, problem solved.