HELP!!!!!!! ASUS G73Jh HD 5870M DEAD fail vbios flash

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by evgasr2, Feb 27, 2012.

1. evgasr2

evgasr2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 5870m
    Hi guys ,
    My Asus G73Jh got bricked when I flashed MSI vbios with my Asus hd 5870m card so now the screen is blank , but I can do ctrl + alt + del restart , I can confirm this because after I press it the laptop restarts and keyboard light lights up again, and hdd spins.
    so the culprit is the vga, I tried flashing vbios blindly but it doesnt get flashed, I tried to even backup my bios but it doesnt get backuped ( I do this things blindly im sure about the commands).
    but I removed the vga and turned on the laptop then both the fans were on 100% speed , with the gpu it runs slowly ,
    Now what should I do , should I desolder the vbios chip and re-program it with spi programmer and re solder it? can any one tell me which programmer I should buy and is there an alternate solution?
    the vbios chip name : Pm25LV010

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Google Blind Flash..

You can buy a pci vga card and use that while the borked card is installed as well. I've done it before when I screwed up a bios flash on a X1950 XTX.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. evgasr2

evgasr2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 5870m
    will it support 3.0 B and this is a notebook vga card, and I have tried blind flashing but it doesnt work.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is the gfx card integrated with the board or removable?

5. evgasr2

evgasr2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 5870m
    its a seperate card I can take it out if I want,
    A guy offered an Dell hd 5870m for 100$ is that worth or should I reprogram vbios chip with spi programmer.

6. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I wonder if you could use those USB "graphic cards" to be able to see something when booting.

7. evgasr2

evgasr2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 5870m
    where can I get a usb graphics card , can I re program with spi programmer and make it back to life or is there any alternative other than desoldering vbios chip to reprogram?

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Under warranty? Pop it in the microwave for 10secs on high, then RMA it.

9. evgasr2

evgasr2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 5870m
    lol , I have no warrenty because I bought this from ebay.
    microwave for 10s will it work?

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It'll fry the circuitry.

If it's not under warranty then absolutely do not do what I suggested..

11. evgasr2

evgasr2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 5870m
    then what should I do?

12. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Well... I don't even know where you live, so I can't say for sure, but I'm confident you could find some on eBay or other auction websites.

Anyway, I was thinking about USB VGA adapters 'cause that way, you're able to see what's on your screen (you'd have to use an external monitor, of course), so it would be easier than trying to blindly flash. Kinda like when you use a PCI videocard after a bad BIOS flash on your PCI-E videocard.

That said, you'd have to make sure the USB thingy has priority over your internal graphics card for you to be able to see something at all. I know sounds very complicated.

13. evgasr2

evgasr2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 5870m
    I live in Srilanka, but the chinese guys on ebay can ship it to me. but im thinking of another solution other than removing the vbios chip,
    I tried of hooking an external monitor to vga out and hdmi but no screen on both, and also no screen on laptop also , vga card stops the output,. because its bricked.

14. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Of course it won't work if you plug an external monitor to your internal graphics card, man. That is exactly why I advised you to get ahold of an external solution.

Have a look over there http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/usb20-to-hdmi-graphics-adapter.html and over there too http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-674.shtml.

15. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Lots of Dell MXM Modules do not Work in other laptops they change the pins or etc. Now it could of changed but I wouldnt bank on that it would work for urs. You can buy Asus 5870M MXM Modules online just google it... U wont get an external Monitor to work because the VGA runs the output to the LCD and the VGA/HDMI I have ur unit u need to blind flash ur card or get another card

16. evgasr2

evgasr2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 5870m
    will that external usb thing work, even if i have dead vga?
    I cant buy asus vga because it costs alot.

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    after reading all posts..i only can think of desoldering that vbios chip and flash it
    this if the chip lets you do so
    but before that do some serious research,and also look if you can buy a replacement chip...
    a mobile phone repair shop could do that for you,but before letting someone try ,ask around and see for yourself their gear .
    if you want to do it yourself,well good luck..

18. evgasr2

evgasr2 Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 5870m
    thank you man you only understood my problem , so I should desolder it reprogram and resolder the chip thats it, laptop will come back to life.

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i forgot to say something
    before doing anything,consider that this repair is not for the faint of heart.also,if is the first time you handle this,pay the price and let a tech guy with plenty of experience do it.