How to stop smoking?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Anubis, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Sure, I'll just get a 12 gauge then :p

Having a 4,5 year old son, a girlfriend which can't stop talking / screaming the whole day, and the fact that I can't get a job is damn stressful.
    And cigs are the only way for me to relax a bit from that.

I don't care about any health issues or other stuff.. As someone said before, people die due to lung cancer even if they never smoked, so I don't take this as a threat really.. Only issue for me is the money, cause it's hard even without such a bad habit, but 3€ per day for a pack brings ~100€ per month, which is a lot of money imho..

But as said, I managed to reduce the smoking by ~50%. I'm happy with that for now, and if the circumstances allow it, I'll try to quit it all together once I'm ready..

2. Brandon_34

Brandon_34 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 690GTX
    Lol yeah..Someone I know died. That also cured their smoking problem.

3. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    i was thinking more doing something about anger management.

4. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Believe me m8, I'm a damn calm and tolerant person, but everyone and everything has it's limit..

5. spike21

spike21 Member Guru

GPU:
    7970CF 16@2133mhz
    I smoked for 40+ years,the way I did it was to use the patch and moved in w/someone who didn't smoke.That was 6 years ago and I can't tell you how much better I feel,if you don't smoke don't start it is one of the hardest things to quit.

6. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    ^^ excellent advice. That is true as some people will not find it an easy thing to do. But it is possible. And you can do it.

And I can do the 108 stairs, two at a time, up to the sixth floor where I work before I'm saying please, no more. I'm wheezy but my heart rate returns to normal very quickly so I know the 16 miles a day of cycle commuting (seriously) helps. But imagine how I would feel if I didn't smoke about 8 a day. It makes me think.

Man, I lol'd. If we are ever sat in an Amsterdam cafe staring at the menu of different blends? Then don't ask me to sit at your table. :)

Anubis - You are in my prayers. I await the day when you say that you used to smoke.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  7. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I just bought one tonight:

[​IMG]

Some reading material to go with it:

http://howdoecigswork.org/electronic-cigarette-side-effects-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

After reading some other things, its actually not looking good for the "e-cig". Not only do you have to inhale it like a blunt to get any effect from it, the effect is not as intense as a cig. But, I was told that with more expensive USB models you can adjust the level of nicotine. Not sure how that works? I have not yet decided if I myself am going to continue use after some things I read, but it appears you can smoke inside now with these and it wont stink up the place. So thats a plus, you wont smell like smoke. I really hate the smell of smoke.

The guy at the gas station I bought it from seemed to know pretty much everything about them and explained them really well. Though I cant remember everything he said off the top of my head, he did say that all you exhale is water vapor. Which I have noticed, does not appear to be true. I cant say for a fact that its not just water vapor, but it tends to linger a bit and travel through the air like normal cig smoke. Though it does not linger as long as real cig smoke, it also does have a slight smell to it. But from what I can tell it goes away shortly after the smoke does.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  8. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    i switched to e-lites for a few weeks then quit
    they're cheaper, they don't stink, and you can smoke em in public

9. gbooster

gbooster Member Guru

GPU:
    zotac 1080gtx
    The only way to do it is cold turkey man. If you give yourself any outs, you will fail.

It's not hard man, just use a little willpower and do it.

People in general believe it's ok to be a weak minded woosy. That's it's normal to fail and how none of are really strong enough to control ourselves. I say that's horse****.

10. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB

Im 4 days without a cig so far myself. Havent even used that fancy "vaporizer" since I bought it either. So Im nicotine free! Im also not craving it either. Having more energy makes it worth while.

11. Nemes1s

Nemes1s Master Guru

GPU:
    2x560Ti SLI ASUS + EVGA
    Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking.

Read it, and you will be done with smoking forever. I didn't even want to stop, but I was curious about what the book had to say. While I read it, I started hating ever smoke I had, and when I put that final cigarette out after the book, it was my last.

Remember, smoking is not a bad habit. Chewing your nails is a bad habit. Smoking is drug addiction, and brainwashing.

Trust me, that book will change your life.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Exercise and Willpower would be enough to stop me smoking,a good workout at the Gym wether weight-lifting or Heavy Bag work is enough for me to hate cigarettes with a vengeance,your lungs feel so good i cant understand why you would want to ruin that feeling with ****ty smoke.

I can understand why people smoke weed even though i been there done that and dont agree with it,but smoking fags is just ****,they dont even give you a buzz there just bollocks tbh,dont see the point in them.