How to stop smoking?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Anubis, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Just do what i did, just stop, that simple.

I smoked 20 a day at least (since my mid teens - 33 now) and my daughter asked me to stop about 5 months ago (they did something on it at school), so i did - just like that.

I simply had 1 last smoke then gave the rest of the pack to my neighbour and that was it. I now no longer smoke (gave up 5 months ago as stated), drink (haven't drank in over 2 years) or take drugs (about a year and a half now) so now so i have more money for my main addiction - PC stuff :D.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    how to stop smoking? easy..

use the nicotine patches, you'll stop smoking but you'll get hooked on the patches LOL

[​IMG]

3. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Well, guess there's really no way around it, will try my luck with the cold turkey.
    Wish me luck guys, haven't smoked for an hour, and it's hard already :p

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i never smoked in my life and never will, BUT a friend of mine is a heavy smoker, up to 4 packs a day. :3eyes:

he tried the cold turkey for a few days, he changed very much, seemed on edge all the time, lots of anger outbursts when something insignificant happened (eg. spill the tea), then there was the intense headaches, other times he seemed extremely sleepy, his memory went down the drain and he was constantly depressed, the insomnia was tremendous just to name a few symptoms.

watching the transformation was unsettling to say the least, over a period of 3 month he started feeling better and one thing that was really noticeable was that he could climb stairs without panting and his coughs diminshed too.

when i asked him how he managed to get through it all, his reply was quite clear.. sheer will power. ;)

so do not expect it to be a joy ride, you're gonna go through some tough $hit, persevere and you will succeed. good luck.

5. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Well, I don't.. I know it's probably gonna be the hardest few days, weeks, months in my life.
    I just don't know if I have enough will power and self control.

3.5 hours now, and I'm soon gonna eat the table..

6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    well that's something you shouldn't do, don't keep track of time or how long you haven't smoked a cig, concentrate (if you can) on the matters at hand and most of all find something to do, boredom is the reason why many people can't resist smoking.

you'll probably find yourself thinking constantly about the cigarette, the more you try to avoid something the more you crave it.

so keep yourself busy, watch movies, play games, put order in your room, cook, etc so that at the end of the day you'll end up so tired mentally and physically that all you'll want to do is sleep.

harder said than done but that's a trick that seem to work for the majority of people. ;)

7. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Can't help if I remember when my last one was..
    And I wasn't smoking out of boredom..

I had to smoke 1-2 in the morning, or I was coughing the whole day.. (wonder how it'll be tomorrow)
    Every time I've eat something, smoke afterwards.. (this is the hardest)
    When playing (BF3 for example) I smoked almost one after another..
    Also when watching movies, etc..

8. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    Up until 6th December I had been smoking for 20 years or so. However on that day I had a serious motorcycle accident, and suffered multiple breaks in my foot and ankle.

I was advised that the healing process would be aided considerably by quitting. So that was that, I went cold turkey from 6th December. You just need a bit of willpower.

9. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    There's nothing that tell's me how much I need to quit smoking more than 5min Run around the block. Just think of time when you were active and fit as a child and look at your self now. Also try shouting at yourself in the mirror. :realmad:

10. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    Step 1. Just stop already if your really want to stop it should be easy if you dont want to stop you never will stop smoking either you might asswell give up now.
    Step 2. if you dont succeed but by any means still want to stop drink lot water especialy after you just had a smoke this makes it a lot easy'r even if you have no issues try drink lot water for least 2 month while you stopping the more water you drink the sooner nicotine leaves your body.
    Step 3. Put up least 1 month with symptoms they will get bad for some sometimes bit convenient like if you get really sleepy just take some time off from work like vacation and sleep through it untill you get less sleepy again.
    If you have to much energy cant sleep just do lot work untill get sleepy.

The 2e month its just about mental addiction if still addicted after total off 2 month you should have no addiction anymore least no nicotine addiction all just mental addiction so if you still fail then you failed at step one and did't want to stop to begin with this is why you better off giving up right away then.

Anyway if smokes very heavy for like 5 years and it just took me 2 month if failed few times but i kept drinking lot water and i only started smoking less and less then decided to put through with symptoms and just slept through it for lot off day's.

slept nearly for like 2 weeks total after 2 weeks without nicotine 2e month was all just mental addiction which i barely had for me smoking wasn't really a ritual just bad habit so quiting was't so hard.

anyway when i wanted to quit if asked lot advice here asswell which helped me a lot for those that still remember and giving me advice back then ty :D
    my life wouldn't be the same if i didn't stop back then

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    agreed about the water,better if you drink cold water,as cold you can drink..
    the cold turkey gave me anger,i was on the edge ,i wasted my energy punishing a punching bag at the gym ...
    also the rewards....better taste,food tasted SO GREAT !
    i could SMELL again...
    you SMELL better,no girl/woman will go kinky with you smelling like a ashtray,right?
    the money you won´t spend on tabacco ,will allow you to buy more hardware !
    i kept´´buying tobacco´´ meaning that daily i put a 3 4 euro in a piggy bank during my healing period.with the money i saved i bought a camcorder and some audio hardware...amazing.

12. sano614

sano614 Guest

GPU:
    VisionTek 5870
    I also found the best way for me to quit was to have my last cigarette at night, then go to sleep for a good 8 - 12 hours and when I woke up that was it, no more cigarettes. It was easier for me that way since I went 8 - 12 hours without actually having a cig and that urge wasn't AS strong when I first woke up as it was if I had been up for a while..

13. Osamar

Osamar Guest

GPU:
    Gforce 560 Ti 1Gb
    - If you are a heavy smoker, try not to just stop.
    - go step by step. brake one mental asociation at a time.
    for example: "forget" first the after-dinner cigarette, two or three days latter the movie-end cigarette, and so on.
    - at the end of the day put the money you have save that day a part.
    http://static5.depositphotos.com/1009432/433/i/450/dep_4337295-Glass-jar-filled-with-coins.jpg
    something like this with the cover glued and a slot for "insert coin".
    So you can see your savings.

14. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    There is no specific way of quitting smoke, neither do the patches help nor does the counselling. Its all in your brain, if you can control your brain not to smoke then you will never have the urge. This is how i quit drinking and now im trying to quit smoking. I reduced from 20 to 10, thats 50 percent less of all the harmful chemicals and little more of life.

Good luck.

15. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    replace with another habit - chewing REGULAR sugar-free gum. that's how i quit mine. clean from smoke almost 2 years now :)

16. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    What about when you're pissed off?
    How you supposed to stop smoking when you get pissed off?
    What if you're smoking is directly related to how much you get pissed off by other people?

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    out of 3 pages, this is the only sensable post lol. :nerd:

18. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    Well, that's my main problem..
    I tried the cold turkey.. succeeded for ~26 hours. Then someone pissed me off so bad, that I had to light a cig.. But I felt so dizzy after it, I could barely stand..

I didn't fully succeed to stop, but I'm the same as viren.. I smoke 50-60% less, which is also a victory for me, atleast for now..

19. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    if you smoke due getting mad you smoke because its a ritual.
    you need to find a way to break that ritual then.

20. [ R ]

[ R ] Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GTX+ Quad Pipe
    I have been through plenty of addictions starting from gaming 8 hours a day without a break and even smoking, the only thing I can tell you is will power. People say I couldn't stop playing WoW and BAM I didn't renew my subscription for Feb and I can go as long as I want without WoW, back when WoW was new I was on it for 8 hours DAILY but now I am in perfect control of it and can start / stop at any time.

Last year I went through emotional hell and picked up smoking as a "escape" but instead it didn't do ****, it didn't make me any more calmer or anything. In the end my own will power and determination made sure that the pack I bought was the first and last pack I'd ever smoke.

IT IS all in your head, you tell your self subconciously that you CAN'T survive without it but indeed you can if you have a strong will and determination.