HD6870x2 (crossfire 6870) stutter problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by zozzhun, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Aquinus

Aquinus Member

GPU:
    2x AMD 6870
    I have a single 6870 and overclocking the GPU to 1ghz core gave me about 45fps at the same settings. Keep in mind that a lot of the data that your GPU processes starts in system memory. I have 8gb of ram and only with highly single-threaded games I see slowdowns with my older DDR2 and my Pheneom II 940. Your CPU is faster, but you really need more ram for the kind of platform you're intending on running. My system fully stressed and overclocked draws 450 to 500 watts, I have an 800-watt PSU.

Just keep in mind when it comes to your PSU. It is the box that is powering your entire system and determines how much voltage and current gets supplied to your components. If you stress it too much, it won't be able to handle the current it needs and it will over-voltage your hardware and I've seen fried CPUs, Motherboards, and GPUs from not using good PSU and I've seen big PSUs fry good hardware too, so reliable is important as well, even more so at high power draws. Also, you're running in PCI-E 2.0 right? 1.0 @ 8 lanes might cause slowdowns as well. Forcing Gen2 in the bios could help.

Edit: You're running 64-bit right? If you're not, you're video cards will be mapping most of your memory so there won't be any physical space for your applications or the graphics data before it actually gets to the GPU.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Member

GPU:
    2x AMD 6870
    Buy a kill-a-watt and find out if you're killing your PSU, otherwise more ram and running a 64-bit OS would be wise.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that PSUs don't do 100% what they're rated well.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. zozzhun

zozzhun Guest

GPU:
    VTX3D HD6870
    Bought a single rail Cooler Master 600W PSU with 12v 540w power. So PSU wouldnt be a problem. But i solved everything. Bought a GTX580, selling my AMD now, will get a HD7950 when prices get low in here.

4. Coolit

Coolit Guest

GPU:
    MSI 680GTX OC
    I have the same cards and just started playing SWTOR again and it shutters like hell :(

With older drivers (2-3months ago old) there was no shutter in SWTOR but with 12.1 + cap3's there is loads.

I sent feedback to the cat crew through the feedback form about the problem and hope they will fix it soon. I'm currently just putting up with it but its pretty damn annoying.

I guess you have the same issue :(

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

5. zozzhun

zozzhun Guest

GPU:
    VTX3D HD6870
    I tried with older drivers too, but wasnt working either :)

6. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    Do you have two separate 6870's or the duel card like me ?

Ive never experienced micro stuttering or any kind of stuttering, only bad driver and crossfire support from amd.

7. tnynyn

tnynyn Member

GPU:
    XFX 6870 CF
    try disabling hyperthreading (ht) in bios

8. Coolit

Coolit Guest

GPU:
    MSI 680GTX OC
    Thanks for the tip, I tried this earlier and it has made a massive difference, there is still shudder in SWTOR but much less :)

9. zozzhun

zozzhun Guest

GPU:
    VTX3D HD6870
    My mobo is not supporting disabling HT, i searched trough 3 times, so i switched back to i5 760. No more HT problem :p

BTW, i sold my 6870x2, will buy a HD7950 DCII ASUS next week, and switch from 4gb corsair vengeance to 8gb kingstone hyperx limited edition 1600mhz cl9 :banana:

10. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    Yeah i get some minor stuttering with 6870 in crossfire in BF3, even on medium settings.

11. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    WHOA- try this. go into CCC 3d application settings and create a new profile for BF3.exe - if you have CAP installled it will warn you that this will override the CAP. then select at the bottom , under AMD Crossfire Mode for 3d Applications , "AFR Friendly" and press save on the profile.

BF3 is an AFR friendly game.

it seems to have gotten rid of the stuttering for me

12. zozzhun

zozzhun Guest

GPU:
    VTX3D HD6870
    I have spoken with 2 other guy from the other forum. They have 6870x2 too, and ran the Crysis 2 bench with given specs, same ****ty performance. So i guess Guru3D gave us fake results... :)

I tried with every options back then, nothing given better performance, only disabling CF :D

13. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Dude, you're doing it wrong.
    I still get 40-50 Fps in the heaviest scenarios, so stop accusing guru3d. It's something on your side.

14. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    sell it.

15. zozzhun

zozzhun Guest

GPU:
    VTX3D HD6870
    Yeah... got the same card, same game with patch+text pack, got the same bench utility, and the same crappy avg fps. I spoke to an another guy, same result. So 4 of us doing something wrong, huh? :D

Tested the bench with 6970/7950/gtx570, got the same results as the guru3d, only 6870x2 fails.

16. ipredator

ipredator Guest

GPU:
    Quadro K5000M
    Well, I don't know what to say anymore. You seem to experience some AMD failure like I do with Skyrim. They fixed cfx flickering for almost everyone, now its maybe 5ppl on this forum remaining. Blame AMD really, they can't achieve driver results that count for everyone, even if they have the same card.

17. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    forget about skyrim with crossfire, it will never work right, just use single card.

all other games , enable vsync. and in BF3 reduce settings to all high for 1gb cards (no ultra anything)

18. zozzhun

zozzhun Guest

GPU:
    VTX3D HD6870
    HD6870x2 is made by Powercolor, without support of AMD.

I'd be okay with medium text in bf3, but please... why guru3d wrote completely wrong then? I'm with Gigabyte HD7950 WF3 @ 1150/1575, so dont really care about :puke2:

19. VenoMaizeR

VenoMaizeR Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX480OC 8gb
    I had the same problem with my 6850s but when i put textures on high on BF3 stuttering went away, never had stuttering again. I think the game was caching textures into the harddrive cause 1GB of memory wasnt enough, thats silly if you ask me. Now im hopping they launch some drivers for better BF3 scalling cause i had better frames on my 470GTX....on this game.

Can someone explain to me why i have 99% gpu usage on both cards in singleplayer and 60-50% gpu usage on Multi 64 maps?(same settings)....:bang:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Because your cpu is bottlenecking your cards.. go ahea open up task manager and look at your cpu pegged at 100%. You need to oc or get new ivy bridge cpu