7970 owners... honestly what BF3 performance like

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by slickric21, Feb 8, 2012.

1. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    This is exactly what I said over at HARDOCP. I was mad at the 7970's stock performance. A bunch of AMD fanboys cried, took it personal, and started attacking me. I defend myself and bashed em back (an eye for an eye, a lege for a leg); then I get banned there forever. SO retarded. GOOD!! Another example of a retarded moderator; who cannot see that I am clearly getting bashed by AMD fan boys. Hardocp forums suck. FULL OF emo cry babies.

2. Gorki

Gorki Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1800XL 256Mb
    So reading this I can conclude that at stock it performs like your old OC 580gtx so you drop $ and squeeze it to beat the gtx580 in BF3, Gulf of Oman ,...? Right?
    So you are satisfied overall?

3. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    ^^^ errrr pretty sums it up yeah :) When you word it like that its crazy lol

Well in all seriousness I have dropped some $ but i'm looking to recoup a large portion of the cost back from selling the 580 3Gb which is the key factor. I wouldn't have just upgraded for just Gulf of Oman

But after a few days playing, when the card is overclocked to 1280/6000 the performace is stunning. It goes far greater than just smooth Gulf of Oman, I can now enable x4 MSAA in all maps inc 64p Caspian Border and run either the FXAA injector or SMAA injector (both which eat about 5fps) and have completley smooth gameplay with fps staying locked at 60 most fo the time, with lows of mid 50's.
    All Ultra + motion blur on, 1080p.

The 580 3GB at 900mhz was either ingame Post AA + x2 MSAA, or just FXAA/SMAA by itself for smooth gameplay. And even then it dipped to low 40's occasionally. So lesser IQ with less performance.

Downside has been the noise, I miss my Accelero Cooler. The Windforce is effective, but loud when overclocked.

Im now thinking of returning the Gigabyte Windforce ('cos it was £50 more than the Vanilla) and getting a Vanilla card then an Accelero Xtreme cooler to put on it.

4. eclypse

eclypse Member

GPU:
    QuadFire 7970
    I also sold off my 580 1.5gb Quads for Quad 7970s :) Did it cause i figured if i wait much longer the resale on the 580s would tank. Sold off the CPU/MB/Ram and cards for around $2700 and ended up only spending about $2300 when it was all said in done.. Inital cost for the upgrade and blocks was $5000.

I play BF3 in tripple screen and the 3GB ram is what i needed!

2 of those 7970s is whats needed to seriously run smooth on a single screen of BF3 at ultra/Max settings. 3 is seriously crazy fast on a single screen with frame rate lows in the upper 100 range to highs in the 300 range! haha.

Make sure your using the latest CAP 3 or the newest 12.1 CAP as it really smooths out the stuttering.

Currently overclocking the quad 7970s at 1200/1600 at 2.35v but did bench up to 1200/1800Mhz (7200) on the ram.

Scored 27K last night in 3Dmark11 and over 70K in Vantage.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

5. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    What even for single card users ??

And whats the difference betweem those 2 or where do i get these ?

At the moemnt im using the 11.12 drivers which are the latest ones for this card on AMD site but got no CAPS installed

6. eclypse

eclypse Member

GPU:
    QuadFire 7970
    No idea as i dont use a single card. Yeah i'm using the 11.12 drivers (+ CAP3)as well cause anything else i cant use Crossfire. The CAP file is just like a driver patch. I'm sure you can find the CAP 3 and the CAP 12.1 on this site somewhere.

Try the CAP 3 first.. if you want to try the 12.1 CAP you'll need to uninstall the CAP 3 first in add and remove programs.

7. Vortex

Vortex Member

GPU:
    rx6800xt
    2.35v are you sure about this and if so, why so much voltage ?

8. KodY

KodY Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 280X Vapor-X
    The new patch (out today) should increase the performance in the game. Time to bench again

9. billaa

billaa Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 670 OC
    performance increase for 7900 series, and support for Ivy Bridge added in new patch

10. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Not really noticed any difference tbh, just been in the game now for an hr.

But with these babys OC'd its not like they needed a perf boost anyway, i'll have a play at stock clocks see if it is smoother.

11. bl4d3runn3r

bl4d3runn3r Guest

GPU:
    2x Powercolor 7970
    How do you limit your FPS? I´m using Bandicam and if i set Limit to 60, the frames are dropping to 57 down and 64 up the whole time. Which tool do you use?

12. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Well there are 3 ways which work well.

Easiest is to use the ingame command, which you can add to a user.cfg file in your BF3 install folder.
    'GameTime.MaxVariableFps 59' without the quotes.
    Note 59 worked best for me less screen tearing.

2nd way, DXtory
    3rd wat , MSI afterburner with the RSTT enabled.

Some claim the bottom 2 are smoother than the ingame one.

Im using option 3 because you can add profiles for other games/apps which apply automatically.

13. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I noticed a difference in speed. Feels a lot smoother. I'm also using the latest BETA.

14. bl4d3runn3r

bl4d3runn3r Guest

GPU:
    2x Powercolor 7970
    I have found the option in Afterburner, but i think its only functional when i´m recording. What is RSTT?

15. iamgod1985

iamgod1985 Member Guru

GPU:
    p5k deluxe p35
    The patch seems like a marketing ploy. I noticed zero diff on my 7970 (not even a 1 fps diff to the min frame rates on exact spots).

16. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    ^^ seconded

17. Ghettorat

Ghettorat Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 ClassifiedSLI
    I noticed a big difference with the patch. Alot smoother and less visual artifacts. Happy with the 7970 upgrade from 580gtx so far.

18. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    I cant say i ever see these cards dip below 60fps ever unless its the loading screen 1920x1080 everything maxed, im thinking about a new monitor(s)

19. nzweers

nzweers Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 980Ti iChill Ultra
    You need a new cpu. You're like 3 generations behind. Don't think 3.75ghz on your cpu is the same as 3.75ghz on a sandy bridge. I bet you get about 1/3 more frames then. BF3 needs it.

20. vonalka

vonalka Guest

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    I just installed a 7970 this week and the difference it makes in BF3 is amazing! I am convinced that it has actually improved my skills as the gameplay is so much better. I can't imagine ever playing BF3 with anything else.