will changing soundcard slot cool down GPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TerraViper-5, Feb 14, 2012.

1. TerraViper-5

TerraViper-5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 960 4G
    Hi!

So last time I checked GPU temperature in brother's PC I saw that it was awfully hot (90C), so I downloaded MSI Afterburner and set fan to rotate at full speed as soon as GPU reaches 60C. But that produces A LOT of noise, so it made me thinking: could it be that there's too little space for GPU fans to draw sufficient air inside? Here's the situation:

http://shrani.si/f/d/E0/4IwCmOxH/dscn0064.jpg
    http://shrani.si/f/2J/3z/3FuB0tc5/dscn0065.jpg
    http://shrani.si/f/17/sv/3rcnuIuP/dscn0066.jpg
    http://shrani.si/f/1Z/rQ/3lQH7HJa/dscn0067.jpg

BUT, I noticed that if I wanted to make more room, I would have to move the soundcard very close to the PSU, which could be producing magnetic field which would damage the soundcard (at range this close).

Any thoughts on this please? Thanks!

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    TBH yes I think that would help. Either stick the soundcard lower or above the GPU (if you can).

Side fan also helps.

3. jadium

jadium Active Member

GPU:
    NVATI

IMO cleaning the dust will give you a more significant temp decrease than moving the sound card (add some side fan too).

4. TerraViper-5

TerraViper-5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 960 4G
    Yeah, I know the dust can be a problem, its cleaned twice a year, but it gathers again soo fast :S And side fan is there, its white and can be seen in first pic. But I want to minimize stupid errors like that soundcard and I dont know if its wise to move it so close to the PSU.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Dust filters?

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    @TerraViper-5
    Like everybody has said, you have to clean those dust, especially ones trapped in the your card's heatsink.
    Just open the heatsink shroud and blow the heatsink fins with a can of compressed air.
    It's important to clean those trapped between the fins, since it'd block the airflow from the fans so there will be less heat leaving the heatsink, in turn making your card getting hot quite fast.

Secondly, you might want to change the thermal paste of your card too.
    Sometimes the factory-applied paste is too much and eventually traps heat instead of passes it over to the heatsink when it hardens enough overtime.

Moving the sound card won't give you much lower temps since there's enough room for the fans to get some air; most VGA fans blow towards the card, not sucking the heat out of its heatsink.
    If anything, get one of these if possible.

Regarding dust gathers too fast, try cleaning the room (more often) for a change.
    Those dusts are mainly getting sucked in from the side panel's fan.

7. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    There is plenty of room between the cards. It looks like his rig needs a good cleaning. There are lots of interior case fans available,including spot fans that can be pointed directly where you want air flow.

8. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    How can you move an integrated Realtek card to a different slot?

9. TerraViper-5

TerraViper-5 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 960 4G
    Its my brother's PC, not mine.

CPU: Q6600
    GPU: GTX 275
    CASE: Antec 900
    SoundCard: X-Fi Fatal1ty pro
    Cooler: Asus Silent Square Pro
    MB: Asus P5N32-E SLI
    Memory: Geil 6GB DDR2
    PSU: Tagan 700W

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Okay, Ill definitely clean the dust and try to remove the cover and clean it thoroughly from the GPU, but is it possible to install dust filters on Antec 900 (first version)? Last time I was searching for a case for my uncle I saw a lot of people having trouble finding dust filters for cases which originally didn't have them. I cant do much about the dust in the room, I also have two parrots whose feathers fly around like nuts. That side fan blows outwards btw so it cant be bringing dust inside.

And nobody mentioned yet if its safe to move the soundcard so close to the PSU?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  10. Shadowjump

Shadowjump Guest

GPU:
    7970 XFire Watercooled
    No need to move the sound card at all. Its perfectly fine there. If you want to move it, yes you can. You wont have a problem with the PSU. At least I didnt with my X-Fi Elite Pro for at least 2 years of constant usage.

When you clean the PC, either buy a can with compressed air, or take the pc to a gas station and use the air pump for the tires. It cleans very very good. It cleans so good I even bought one air compressor myself just to clean my computers.

Also, the side fan should be an intake fan, not an exhaust fan. You ll see big temp drops with intake.

11. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    With a full PCI slot worth of space between cards moving it isn't going to gain you much.

Definitely flip that side fan around to make it an intake fan. You want cool outside air at the GPU fan intake

Also, that case looks like an older Antec 900, try setting the front intake fans to a higher setting.

DUST! Like everyone else has said this will make a big difference. Look at the dust on the CPU cooler in pic 66. If this case gets cleaned twice a year, it's not enough.

It might also be worth upgrading the case to one with dust filters. If your brother likes the looks of the 900, the newer 900-2 has filters on the front and side fans, a black interior and CPU backplate cutout.

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    It will only cool it by a few degrees, but hey, it's better than nothing.

In my case my Asus Xonar sound card is literally an inch below my GPU!!

13. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

Yeah but even an inch is more than plenty of room. A tight fit is where you have a card in the next pci slot and the gap is measured in millimeters.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The more breathing room you give your fan, the better....you don't have much room between the cards.

I moved my Audigy to a lower slot and it def helped GPU temps...well maybe 3c or so anyway, originally it was about the same distance away as yours is in those pics.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  15. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    That's good to know, thought it was tight...

16. Shadowjump

Shadowjump Guest

GPU:
    7970 XFire Watercooled
    About the same? It cant be about the same. Its the same or different!

3C sounds too much. I just had a rig setup that. And now that I removed the sound card I didnt notice any diff in the temps.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Damn, there is lot of dust in the fins....

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Who the hell are you - the Internet Grammar Police? Lose the attitude newbie...:wanker:

And if you didn't notice a difference in temps that's your problem not mine.

19. Shadowjump

Shadowjump Guest

GPU:
    7970 XFire Watercooled
    Its not about grammar, lol. Its about the slots. One slot has a certain gap. So its either 1 slot gap, 2 slot gap, etc. Thats why it cant be about the same.