Will keyboards and mice die? Please discuss...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ashiohsiao, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ashiohsiao

ashiohsiao Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780
    Some tech news in Taiwan claimed that in the not too far away future, touch-screen technology will be the main stream (I do agree with this in a way), and keyboards and mice will be eliminated... :littlegun

It was also implied that touch-screen computers will replace PC... :flame:

What do you guys and girls think? :confused:

Personally, I don't think the technology of touch-screen can ever replace keyboards and mice... typing on a mechanical keyboard with Cherry Blue is the sexiest thing for me~ and FPS games do play the best with mice~

I really don't think it's possible that keyboards and mice can be replaced by touch-screen... at least not in a couple hundred years...:frown:

Just my 2 cents... :vader:

2. gunman127

gunman127 Guest

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    I bloody hate touch screens, the only time I ever enjoyed one was playing Supreme Commander on a huge acer AIO desktop.
    It was highly inaccurate and I got raped, but was really cool being able to point an drag units about.
    My next Blackberry will be a combination keyboard/touchscreen one for certain

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Touch screens have been around for donkeys years, but everyone still uses a mouse and k/b.

Can't see them being replaced anytime soon...

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    perhaps they should make a hybrid keyboard with touch sensors lol
    ive always thought the keys would get analogue sensitivity , but i havent seen one yet.

i know people are against change , but up for it. i feel the keyboard is very much outdated when it comes to possibilites and inovation.

5. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i have a 5.3 inch touchscreen on my phone. whilst its good for a phone, i dont much like the idea of having a touchscreen computer. would suck to have half the screen covered by gaming controls.

instead, i would prefer a capacitive multitouch keyboard (similar to the razer blade's keyboard except on a bigger scale). ie. imagine a rectangular piece of glass on your desk that acts as your keyboard (separate from your display). much better sensitivity, no need to worry about actuation force like you would with a normal keyboard (or even like a mechanical keyboard), and devs could implement ways to adjust what keys appear on the keyboard depending on what app/game youre playing. imagine if you could chance macro sets just by swiping up or down on the glass. this is something i would like to see on a keyboard in the future.

6. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    they will eventually get extinct, although, touch-screen isn't the thing that will replace them.. Brain waves ftw!!
    Do you imagine a usb 8.0 port in the back of your head, where you connect you comp when you want to use it?

Damn Matrix :biggun:

7. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Using Adobe Premiere without a mouse - I'd literally be wasting so much time.

8. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    No, I don't believe they will get away in any foreseeable future.

There're too many cons to use them, and one of them - the convenience.

Some inventions will never go away, and I think mouse and keyboards (may be in a lesser degree) are such inventions.
    For example "wheel" has been invented thousands of years ago... did it vanish? Will it vanish any time soon? No.
    And it can be said about many other things.

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Touch screens require more effort, and voice recognition isn't the easiest thing to use. When people dictate something the message comes over differently to if they type it. Also touch screens would require more effort than a keyboard, so for a normal workstation, no, they would not be replaced by a touchscreen. The other disadvantage with a touchscreen is that you have to be within range of the screen to touch it, for most people this is impractical, not to mention smearing the screen.

10. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I think we'll continue to see this technology in tablets and laptops, but it will never hit the desktop home/work computer platform. It takes more effort to reach up to your screen and hit crap, than it would to just type it. Not to mention, how in the hell would we game on that?? lol that would be a disaster. Personally, I am not a fan of touch screens. I have one on my phone and its fine, but gets on my nerves a little bit, when I accidentally bump something else or click instead of swipe properly. I got an Amazon Kindle for Xmas and returned it for the keyboard version, because I don't want another damn touch screen. Also, our skin oil gets all over it etc... imo they are annoying

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    biometrics and mind control have the answer already.
    new wearable materials,new hardware all will lead to something we will callĀ“naturalĀ“

12. ashiohsiao

ashiohsiao Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780
    Yeah, brain waves tech, when invented will probably kill keyboards and mice... but I will surely be dead by then lol

13. ashiohsiao

ashiohsiao Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780
    I agree that some kind of pointing device is really needed for design work... I use Photoshop and Illustrator, and I can't imagine how I can work with them using touch-screen... :bang:

14. ashiohsiao

ashiohsiao Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780
    Exactly! Tablets and laptops are tooooo slow for gaming IMO... :wanker:

15. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Because pounding your fingers on a slab of glass would feel so wonderful after a while. For text, a keyboard simply isn't outdone by anything else out there at the moment. And, because mice are so ubiquitous to computing after being around for so long there is much in the way of computing that necessitates a cursor-based input. I think what you'll see is the augmentation of what already exists. Little track pads that do multitouch are the first step, after that it's a little screen that will give you additional information that you can use for input in addition to a keyboard and mouse all without smudging your monitor. I just hope they offer these things with wires because I hate this trend towards wireless peripherals as I'd be swimming in a sea of dead batteries and, in cases where the batteries aren't user replacable, a sea of dead tablets that no longer hold a charge.