Dad Punishes Facebook Post by shooting laptop

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Brasky, Feb 10, 2012.

1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    We gained the right to judge when this family decided to air their dirty laundry in public.

You post to the public, you invite the court of public opinion.

Just like posting on Guru3D, no tougher crowd than tech geeks :p

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    Your an idiot. As soon as he posted the video on youtube expecting a response he gave up all rights to allow us to judge him. You don't want to be judged? Don't post a rant about your family on the internet? Non U.S citizen rants? What because we can't understand the 'US' situation?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Probably the firearms issue. everyone knows that guns don't kill people, people kill people. :)

4. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I've had guns at home since I was a kid and I find that this dad was outright retarded and irresponsible. I am all for responsible gun owners.

Owning a gun is a responsibility; going around posting videos acting like a jackass with a firearm just makes gun owners and lovers look stupid.

5. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    That's not the point...the lesson taught is far more valuable than the couple hundred dollar laptop.

Oh, and please stop whining about the gun. Every time a firearm is a part of something it ends up having to become the focal point for some stupid reason. If you hate guns fine, move on but accept the fact we have them in the states, and nothing will ever change it.:biggun:

He was on their dogs FB page posting pics and it was on a bulletin that was right there, since the daughter and dog were friends on Facebook. There was never any "snooping" or "invasion". You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

ermm...that "fancy" ammo are simple hollowpoints that can be bought at Walmart. I think you're overreacting.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  6. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    For some stupid reason?? Maybe because guns are dangerous and can kill people when used by idiots? Yes, for the last time, we know you are never going to change your laws, that's your right, but this forum is an international forum and I will be in my grave before I ever accept that your gun laws are even relatively flawless.

She blocked content from her parents in the past so that they couldn't see what she was saying, he found out because "She should know better, knowing her dad works in IT for a living" and used the dogs account to bypass the blocked content. How is "You should know better since I work in IT for a living" not a threat to suggest he knows enough about computers so don't go try blocking stuff from him again?

Liking this guy is one thing, but trying to defend him is ridiculous! Your apparent lack of concern for the use of guns in this situation is something I'll never comprehend. I have nothing against owning guns, but the way its glamorised in this instance is sick.

7. The_AC

The_AC Guest

GPU:
    R9 390X
    I'm an NRA member, and I first shot a revolver before I got my training wheels off my bike. Even I think it was messed up for this guy to use a gun he way he did. Some people here are making it sound like he went "where's my crowbar? Well, can't find it, so I'll just use my gun."

Here's the thing though: He brags about how he's using expensive ammo that is designed to incapicitate a person as quickly as possible (ideally in self-defense). If he were using his gun as a random computer-disabling device, he wouldn't have said that. He was using it as a weapon for threatening.

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    You are too, but that isn't part of the discussion ;)
    A lot of the judgements are made without knowing the full facts, but like always, it's easier to throw the stone.
    He wasn't the first to post btw., that FB post came first, I hope that people don't consider FB as a place where you can keep stuff private.
    The U.S thing was regarding comments that didn't consider some of the laws over there.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    There is hardly a situation in the world when everyone knows the full facts, its part of using your knowledge and common sense to make opinions based on the information we have been given. Its fairly rare that everyone knows the full situation and I do not at all think its unfair to judge this guy given the content of the video. With this in mind, there is hardly any more information that can be given that would justify the use of his weapon in the way it was used in this video. Facebook and privacy is another discussion completely, and as much as I think as it should be private I know it rarely is.

10. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI

11. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    They left out the part where the Officers told him "Kudos sir" .

"The police by the way said "Kudos, Sir" and most of them made their kids watch it. I actually had a "thank you" from an entire detectives squad. And another police officer is using it in a positive manner in his presentation for the school system. How's about those apples? Didn't expect THAT when you called the cops did you?"

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  12. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    After reading all that. I take back my previous statement.

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Damage limitation statement. That's all I read. As a result of his actions he's been hailed as a hero and vilified all at the same time. The police have had to be involved and interview him and his daughter and probably the rest of the family too.

As for the 'Kudos Sir' statement well I suppose that's a judgement call for the cops dealing. I still maintain this whole episode was a massive error of judgement and an example of extremely poor parenting. He says he would do it again with tweaks. He has to say that, or he loses his position entirely. However, will he be saying that to himself? Did he really want his family interviewed by law enforcement officers. Did he want a file raising with them, because either way the family is now on the radar.

I still believe this is a complete failure of parenting, there are those that will disagree.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    There are people justifying that people are shooting people and animals every day, while he is just shooting a dead object.
    It might not be smart and even stupid, but it's still just a laptop.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Well, he didn't know another way to get attention and call for help, and he had to do something about it to get some conversation going on with his daughter.
    I remember how impossible I could be when I was at his daughters age.
    And that has nothing to do with extremely poor parenting, you can raise 2 children the exact same way, and you will still end up with a different outcome.

16. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb

Just because a police officer tells them good job it doesn't make it right.

I bet you there were plenty of officers who thought Rodney king deserved what he got.

Especially with the very low (educational) entrance requirements for becoming a cop.