how to extend C drive?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DF-1, Feb 12, 2012.

1. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    Hey guys! I have a 3TB HDD that i used to install my OS on.

for some reason i gave the OS partiton only 50GB worth of space. I use 2TB as normal storage and have 750?GB left, unallocated space. i want to put that space into C.

i tried to follow some guide, but its not letting me extend it. (c/d is the 3tb)

any help would be great! thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Lukc

Lukc Guest

GPU:
    MSI gtx970
    there are programs for that. dunno how good this is.. i used partition magic or smthing like that in past.. now i prefer clean reinstall of os since i'm keeping stuff in other drives (usb keys, external hdd,..)

3. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    i tried it with another program.

both windows default thing and the program it says i can only add space to the 2TB, not the C. but it wont add anything over 2TB anyway.

I got to the point where I cant even drag a jpg on the desktop, the 50GB's are full and its really annoying :S

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Use Windows backup tool to create a system image, insert Windows disk, delete C, and the 750GB partition so it only lists your 2TB partition and unallocated space, then make a new partition out of the unallocated space and restore your backup on it.

5. jaydeee

jaydeee Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 7600GT
    guess GParted will help you do that.

6. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

Yeah I think this sounds like the best idea. You can do a system image restore while booting from the Windows disk right?

I think what you need to do is boot from the windows DVD and select install windows, then custom install to get to the drive selection and partition manager. Use this to delete your C: partition and then create a new partition including the 750GB space and format it while still in the install programs partition manager.

Then QUIT the installation without actually installing windows and reboot again from the DVD, this time selecting Repair. Then you can restore from the system image you made.

Personally, I always unplug all of my secondary drives when doing stuff like this to avoid accidentally deleting the wrong partition.

7. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    do a right click pointing to one of the partition it should offer you to extend it

8. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
  9. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    Exactly! thats the first thing i tried. its grayed out. but the 2TB to the left of it isnt. (although you cant have something larger than 2TB, so it gives an error)

thats exactly what i downloaded. wouldn't let me simply extend either. only the 2TB again.

10. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    ah yea, you won't be able to extend untill you move the D: partition first

So it's like:

( C: ) ( Unallocated space ) ( D: )

instead of
    ( C: ) ( D: ) ( Unallocated space )

11. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    so i just change the letter of the drive? would that make it C/unallocated? it tells me that some programs may not work because they would be directed to the drive letter.. =/

maybe i can do that, then change it again afterwards?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  12. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

Doesn't it have to be a special type of partition to offer expansion in the Windows Disc Manager?

13. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
    well i tried renaming D to A.. didnt move though

[​IMG]

not sure what to do :3eyes:

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

First, download and install this:
    http://www.extend-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

A partition has to be contiguous (that is, continuous). You can't extend your C: drive currently because the free space is after the D: drive.

So, in the partition manager I linked above, extend your D: drive to fill in that space, then shrink your D: partition leaving the extra amount you want on your C: drive set as unallocated space before the partition (say, 300GB).

(When doing the above, you will need to reduce the partition size first, which will add free space after the partition. You can then increase the size before the partition which is taken off the free space after the partition. This will make sense once you use it).

You can then extend your C: drive to fill that 300GB. Of course you can set it to use the entine 746.52GB, or you can leave a couple of hundred of those GB on the D: drive.

Note that all of there operations aren't committed straight away, they're put on the pending list which you can see at the bottom left hand corner of the screen. To apply the pending list, just click on the apply button at the top bar.

Program works perfectly and is safe to use, I have used it myself :) (and its only a couple of megabytes to download).

15. DF-1

DF-1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You only had to delete the 2TB partition, then you would have been able to right click on C drive and extend it.

Although why you need an 800GB OS partition is beyond me...:3eyes:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Phffft! I have my OS on a 1.8TB RAID 0 array. Why not? :eyes:

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well because it's a waste of space, obviously...:3eyes:

19. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Meh! I bought 2 1TB Caviar Blacks for my last build and thought why not see how fast they can be in RAID. :nerd:

20. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    We understand, but it would have been a smart idea to create more than one volume on that 2TB-array ;)