using both pci-e connectors

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by six, Feb 10, 2012.

1. six

six Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060
  2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    What is your new GPU?

You should be able to run a 225 W GPU off that PSU with no problems (75 W from mobo and 75 from each 6-pin PCIe), but if your card needs any more than that it might struggle. Good PSUs normally have some degree of overhead anyway, but it's always better to have plenty of headroom for OCing etc.

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    no it doesnt increase the amps. each rail can support up to a specified amperage ammount. they do not combine. what video card are you worried about?

4. six

six Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    New card is a GTX 580. It will be here today, and I want to run it on the 550w only until I upgrade the PSU in a few weeks. (waiting on a newegg rebate card so I can use it for the PSU)

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The electronic device (and voltage applied) determine the power required, not the number of connections.
    There is a limit to how much current can be safely put through a single connection and its wire, that is why 2 connections are used.
    It wont work unless you connect both anyway.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I do not know if it will be enough, what is your cpu clock?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133360
    this says a minimum of 600 for the entire system. you will be cutting it close if the card and psu works as intended.
    75 watts from the m/b, 75 watts from the 6 pin, 150 watts from the 8 pin. and you have a 3 rail psu

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. six

six Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    CPU is at 4.4Ghz. I would be willing to run stock speeds for a few weeks while I wait on the new PSU but it appears even then there would just not enough juice, particularly the low amperage.
    No prob, I can wait. The 8800 I have installed now is doing fine, I only bought the 580 at this time because there was a $30 off promo plus $30 rebate and free shipping so I jumped on it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    if it were me I would wait a bit and install the 580 with a new psu.
    something along the lines of a high quality 650-750 watt would do nicely and give you some oc headroom on the cpu and gpu

9. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SLI 800/2000
    I agree.

While your present power supply may work, if you overload it and it blows, it may damage other components.

10. six

six Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    It's a great little PSU but well below the minimum requirements for the GTX580. It's like only half the amps needed. Not even going to try it. I was hoping using both connectors might double the amperage but as Mufflore pointed out that's not what multiple connectors are for.

11. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    The power requirements on the box and the requirements of the card are two entirely different things.

On the box it states what is generally needed for full system usage, and then gives a little extra headroom.

Your PSU can deliver 32 Amps in total over it's 12V rails. A GTX580 will pull about 22 amps from that. Power usage of GTX 580 lays at around 260-280W.