Windows 8 UI is dropping the 'Start' button

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 7, 2012.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i tried the win8 on vmware yesterday, and it certainly is quite different. so much that i got annoyed lol anyways ill have to use it for a few days to get a real impression.
    i could not find the program folder (which is usually in the start menu) for instance :)

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Some of us still remember Pre-Win9x.... My first computer came pre-loaded with Dos3.... The move from Dos3 to Dos5.22 with Windows3.1 was HUGE. Suddenly, there were icons on the screen and a need for a mouse. There was no start menu. Only icons. To start a program, you had to double-click on a folder icon, then double-click on the program's executable icon. Of course, at this point, Windows was nothing but a Dos program that provided a UI. Then came Windows95 and the almighty "Start" button.

So, in the last 30 years we've gone from a strict text-only command-line based OS, to a command-line based OS with a program that provided a nice little GUI to make computing easier. Then, in 1995, that GUI picked up the immortal "Start" button. In the consumer market, Windows was still nothing but a program run from Dos that provided a user-friendly GUI. In 2001, WindowsXP launched as the first "Windows Operating System" in the consumer market.

What exactly was the point of all that? To simply prove a point. People thought the move to a GUI from command-line would be detrimental to computing. They were wrong. People claimed the move to Windows95 would be detrimental to computing. They were wrong. Now, people are claiming that the removal of the "Start" button will be detrimental to computing....and guess what....they'll be wrong. As in the past, people will adapt to the new UI.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Very true, been through this every time with an OS change, people just panic when they think they are going to be dragged out their comfort zone.

Might be an age thing, the older i get the more i seem to embrace these changes.
    Especially compared to when i was bought an XP package PC 11 years ago, and within a day had removed it and put on 98SE.

When i did eventually use XP a few years later, it was set to Classic Mode right up until Vista launched, which ironically i ended up really liking lol.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah take away the GUI that we have in windows today and bring back the DOS based commands that you had to know years ago to get things to work and people today will be well out of there comfort zone,thing is all the computers from yesteryear had there own DOS commands so moving from one to the other was just the way it was.I think having a GUI along with the 3dfx card revolution helped the PC to seriously be taken as a games machine,without these 2 it simply wouldnt have happened as we know it today.

5. mandex

mandex Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770
    Let them research on new UI designs, improving on visuals and on usability.

They're testing it for approval and they are quite worried if anythings wrong, they don't want the whole bashing a strange UI that wasn't good enough.

Hell, I want to see more inovation on windows, like the worskspaces on linux, like many things that are yet to be thought.

If Microsoft get bulied and doesn't get agressive inovation, it will slowly die againts competition (Google, or Apple, they aren't afraid to release something "new" ), yet the marketshare that will be stuck on windows for various reasons, they'll just have their "tradicional windows" experience, until it goes completly obsolete.

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    First, I was making a point about how I'm not buying a new windows for DX again when hardly anything uses 11 to its fullest.

Second that's still not good enough for some of us. It has nothing to do with change but preference. If the change is something I LIKE, I go for it. I LIKED the change to the Win7 start button etc.

So my opinion stands. Thanks for your concern though.

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Pretty much what I meant, great that they get rid of the old boring look but they need to get the functionality right for both the dumb and smart users.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I don't want command-line OS's back.... As much as I liked Dos3 and 5.22....I much prefer a simpler OS. If you were using MS-Dos, most of the commands were pretty consistant across the different versions. There were a few added and removed over time, but for the most part they were pretty consistant.

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    You have to view it in the point of the average consumer, remember during those early years of computing, most people who went through these changes are geeks like us who are used to changing through different UI interfaces. When people associate Windows on their desktops, they'll expect a Start button and a Start Menu.

Like I said, it'll really boils down to how Microsoft actually implements this and my skepticism won't change until I get my hands on it.

As for typing everything in the command line, while I do love command lines, I still do like GUIs :p.

deltatux

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've been watching the computer industry evolve for the last 25 years. I've watched the evolution of Windows from a simple program to a very complex operating system. At every turn, people have adapted. This won't be any different. I wrote my first lines of Basic code on a old Atari more than 2 decades ago..... The computer industry has changed more than most people realize in the last 25 years. People have gotten used to a pretty consistant pace of change. Just look at cell phones.... Just 20 years ago, they were large, bulky and extravagantly priced..... Now, people on well-fare can afford an iPhone4S and AT&T's largest data package. We've gone from something large and bulky to what amounts to an extremely compact computer that fits in your pocket. Just serves to prove.....those that are open to change, will adapt to it. Those that aren't, won't. I hated Windows3.1 when I first saw it. I hated Windows9x when I first saw it. I fought the movement from Win9x to XP. Evolution is part of life. You either adapt to it....or get passed by. It's really your choice....

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    They all had start bars/buttons. Really this needs to be an option not forced to have none at all. I understand your adaptions to new OS's, I've done the same. This should be an option to customers to have it available. Just removing a key feature to windows like that is kind of a bad move.

I don't want a tablet OS for my desktop PC, I want a desktop OS for my desktop. So I do know I'll be passing, but not "passed by".

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't think it has been removed though, sure i saw pics of it earlier in this thread.

At the end of the day if Win8 is faster, smoother and with better stability i don't care about the gui, and i'm not going to use an older slower OS just for ONE extra button.

13. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    When did that ever happen though?

I like Win 7 better than XP but the latter still gives better performance, and the same holds true going back as well.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I still use many DOS based commands when configuring Cisco hardware,depending on your line of work DOS commands are still needed and is the only way to get certain things done,although i do prefer to use a GUI like windows 7 etc.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Was that the Atari 400 or 800 or ST?Yeah i wrote my first lines of code(Basic) on a ZX Spectrum around 1985(10 years old),i made my own cheats and used to Submit them to magazines like Crash,Sinclair User and Your Sinclair,i still have them on an old cassette in my attic....Merge " ":)

16. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I think it was pretty smart of Microsoft to release a Windows 8 style dashboard to the Xbox 360 so millions of folk can get used to it. This way when Windows 8 comes along it won't be so bad.

Obviously being Windows it'll be different but the Tile principle would remain the same.

17. stut85

stut85 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5850 1GB
    I appreciate where your coming from however going by their own findings the Start menu's use has dropped and changed dramatically since the advent of Task Bar Pinning, Quick Search etc. In respect of how it has been used and their other products I suppose they are looking to streamline a UI across the board. Sure its a huge shake up however if they do it right, it might just work - that is providing (as you said) they dont over cater for tablet/portable users. ;)

Who knows it may just be like a graphically up to date version of 3.1... :pc1:

Nice one, I've still got the old zx sitting in a padded brief case. :)

18. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I like start button and have been using it as win95/98 mode since "forever" now.
    Its much easier after 14y and i coud use it my eyes blinded.

Why fix something that is not broken?

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why don't we live in caves still? It worked well enough for the cavemen.

Ignorance isn't bliss, it's ignorance.

20. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    wow and u just made a perfect comparison. Working for M$ ??