GeForce 295.51 Driver released

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hu1kamania, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Personal preference, and what files you play.

Just ran a movie while i was in a shower, after 20mins i had lots of dropped frames, by the look of things it was around 20mins were it started doing it.
    Jumping back to 290.53 for my HTPC partition as they were flawless.

2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    285 WHQL are my favorite and best driver to date for me, they are so perfect performance and stability wise (even though i rarely have problems with most drivers)

on the other hand "290.xx" and 295.xx are absolute crap, 10fps loss and weird stuttering or pause every 2 seconds in most games.

ironically back then the "190".xx series were terrible too (infact i consider them the worst drivers in the history of nvidia), dunno why drivers featuring the 90 number always suck for me, hell even the Detonators 90.xx sucked.

so back to 285 and waiting for 300.xx which i'm sure will be good. :p

3. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    I saw someone mentioning he gets better fps in BF3 with 4xaa, no wonder its looks uglier now. Some object have barely any aa at all. :(

Also there is some aggressive shadow angle filtering going on, could be engine fault though, but i kinda doubt it.. Its near the center, looks like octagonal shape and i saw Nvidia optimizing this area a lot, mostly for the worse.

(observe building on the left)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And that smoke see through effect is so far only on Metro map (outside).

I found another location, this time TrAA-off.

Particles fx/smoke Ultra
    [​IMG]

Particle fx/smoke high
    [​IMG]

edit: and Metro map - outside looks the only one with the most jitter/streaming stutter.. Its nothing serous, but it can get annoying..

290.53 had it too, but i think it wasn't so frequent.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  4. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I noticed the EXACT same thing. MSAA just isn't working correctly in BF3. I thought it was just in my head, but you seeing it as well kind of confirms it.

5. JimBobb

JimBobb Guest

This is no Optimization that so looks on all Cards. Is called Bilinear Shadow Filtering.

6. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    On ultra and its using bilinear filtering? lol great, also great gpu companies collaboration.

I thought nvidia implemented jitter shadow supersampling that can eliminate this hard line transition, why didnt Dice use that? Or nvidia enabling it by default in Fermi hw shadow engine since its dx11 and all or is this not possible and mostly a marketing gimmick? heh
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/nvidia-gf100-fermi-technology-preview/5

Anyway that smoke issue is still a problem, 290.53 were fine and with better aa on certain objects.

7. pjred

pjred Guest

GPU:
    Gainwood GTX460GS
    I'm getting severe video slowdown (like slow motion causing out of sync sound as well) and stuttering during video playback using MPC-HC, Potplayer, and DVB Viewer when using LACUVID decoder in DXVA mode or even the Microsoft DTV-DVD which uses DXVA mode on my system.

I reverted back to 290.53 and DXVA is all good again. I have a GTX460 card.

8. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    I had that a moment ago in Bf3..

But it happened only if i alt+tab to desktop > opened nvcpl in BF3 profile changed 2-3 settings, and when i alt+tab back into the game i got those weird hickups every 2 sec (69-69-66-69-69-66-69-69fps)

Restarting the game fixed it.

9. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
  10. EaglePC

EaglePC Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 5700

11. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC
    Actually...once you install 295.51, you simply need to reinstall Precision. For some odd reason, Precision gets borked...but fixed with a re-install. In my system...these drivers are great (GTX580 Superclocked)...when I set the card to overclock settings and hit apply...everything would 0 out. Reinstall of precision fixed it all...

12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Did you compare this to older shots you have? Honestly I never liked the quality of AA in Battlefield as it has been pretty bad on all Frostbite 2/2.5 games. BC2, MoH and BF3 all look jaggy as hell if you try to keep the image sharp and detailled.
    Maybe it actually looks worse now but it never looked good to begin with.

13. WaqasR

WaqasR Member

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon R9 270X
    no problem for me working like previous one

14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I can confirm this DOES work so thanks for that.

However, you do not need to MOVE the PhysXCooking.dll and PhysXCore.dll files from the game's Alice2\Binaries\Win32 folder, it is sufficient to just COPY them to the newly created C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Engine\v2.8.4 folder. At least, it works just fine on my system.

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Same here. I've now applied the workaround for Alice: Madness Returns and now all my games are working fine. No problems to report although I hope they fix Alice: Madness Returns properly as I'm likely to forget the fix should I ever uninstall then later reinstall it.

16. DarkTerror

DarkTerror Member

GPU:
    Geforce 660ti
    MadVR is poorly designed renderer. And it was never considered a Alternate. If it looks better its a placebo effect. Nothing beats EVR Custom Pres and libav decoders from FFdshow.

17. progrox

progrox Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 270X 2GB OC
    MadVR is pretty sweet because you can use Spline or Lanczos scaling instead of Bicubic, but that doesn't make it superior in any way except for really low-res content. The average user will see ZERO difference in picture quality between both renderers.

Please don't throw words like better quality or poorly designed around unless you are familiar with the code.

18. DarkTerror

DarkTerror Member

GPU:
    Geforce 660ti
    Spline and Lanczos has 0 difference vs Bicubic when playing a 1080 or 720 videos. MadVr is a poorly designed renderer and Doom9 forum members are aware of it.

19. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    I didnt have to, i had 290.53 when i bought the game 1 week ago and after i upgraded to this release i noticed the difference right away. It looks like 2xaa most of the time, some objects have barely any aa at all.. + that smoke bug at ultra.

And yes i know about BF2BC that one has the worst aa there is, most objects have no aa at all (this is with enhanced 8xmsaa or 32xcsaa).

Someone said UT3 had very low AA as well, i saw that with 290.53 too, but it didnt turn it self off if i came closer, but yeah there is lower aa quality in general, especially its aa rendering grid at certain angles.

In one word nvidia's anti aliasing sucks for some time now. Instead of making it look better, they're optimizing it for the worst. :bang:

20. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB