Trying to install Mobo

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Leftfield, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Leftfield

Leftfield Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560
    Hi,

I am trying to install a new motherboard, however the system is not booting up. The first few times I tried to start it everything would turn on then cut out after 3/4 seconds. Now it will not boot at all. Surely I haven;t tried my mobo? I configured it on a wooden bench, I am wearing rubber sole shoes and I touched a radiator before I started. There was also minimal contact with the mobo while putting it in. Have I simply plugged things in the wrong place?

Doesn't help that my corsair tx750 has way too many power cables and it completely fills my case, I want to pull my god damn hair out.

It doesnt seem to be starting at all now, could it be where I have the HDD plugged to? Idk, its a fresh force 3 corsair hdd also.

The light was red when i turned it on the first time and a number went up to like 80, I dont know what that is. Its an Asrock z68 extreme

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Guest

GPU:
    PNY gtx 460 1gig
    Sounds like something isnt plugged in right,might double check everything.If your water cooled maybe you have the pump plugged in wrong,i know you need it plugged into cpu/fan connector on board,if i remember right.
    Make sure you have the little 4-pin power connector also from psu plugged in!if needed.

3. Leftfield

Leftfield Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560
    The fan is plugged into cpu fan 1 currently. When I turn the power on for half a second everything boosts and then stops, no red/green light on the Mobo. this is driving me nuts.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Test with another PSU, if it still doesn't work the board is faulty.

5. Leftfield

Leftfield Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560
    there is a power switch on it next to the reset. Do I need to use this?

6. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    You can, but it shouldn't do anything different than the power button on the case. It's just there so that you can turn on tehmotherboard if it isn't installed in a case. You might want to find the clear CMOS button or jumper and try resetting that?

Maybe take some pics of the board from different angles so we can see if anything is obviously wrong.

Asrock has 4 different Z68 Extreme mobos, do you know which one you have? There is the Extreme 3, 4 and 7 with gem 3 pcie variants. The red LED toward the bottom of the board is a debug troubleshooting code. Your manual will say what the codes mean, it uses both letter and numbers.

You supplied power to both the 8-pin CPU power header on the upper left of the board and the 4-pin molex pcie power plug just above the topmost pcie slot?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  7. vonalka

vonalka Guest

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    It could also be a ram problem. Do you have another single ram stick you could test it with?

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yep, my suspicion as well. Same symptoms as OP happened to me and it was due to finicky ram slots. But once it booted, I added another stick and also re-booted OK. Then added the rest and all was fine.

Of course it can be other issues as well, but the ram sticks/slots is just one possibility.

9. Leftfield

Leftfield Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560
    I have the z68 extreme 4 gen 3. Yes I have power going to the Molex in the middle, the top left of the mobo which has two 4 pin pcie slots for the power, then the main slot on the right

I wondered about the ram, however the guys I got it from sent the ram already attached into the mobo with the processor and CPU installed. They packaged it, really, really well and have a very good reputation. They also test for about 24 hours before they send and it passed the test.

I will try the ram stick, shouldn't the mobo have a red debug code though? I am not getting this, I did the very first time I turned it on and it was 80...then nothing ever since.

I will post pics tomorrow.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  10. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    If they shipped it already assembled I would go through and reseat all of the cards and RAM sticks while you're at it.

11. Leftfield

Leftfield Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560
  12. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    looks like a short-circuit.
    get it out of the case and test on a non conductive surface with only the most vital parts attached (HDD, monitor)

13. Leftfield

Leftfield Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560
    Thanks, I am not sure if I am comfortable in doing that, I already think the mobo might be damaged possibly by delivery possibly by something i've done. Should have just got the damn thing fitted by someone else I guess, didn't think it would be so difficult to screw a motherboard to a case and attach a few wires. I've installed PSU's/GPU's,etc before with minimal problems but this is literally a nightmare.

14. Leftfield

Leftfield Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560
    Update...I braved it out and started it up on the wooden desk. It starts up fine...

wtf can be wrong with my case then? lol

15. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    Well, I can tell it wasn't mounted properly in the first place, in your picture I can spot a missing screw.

16. Leftfield

Leftfield Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560
    Its working now, thanks for your help.

17. seercirra

seercirra Guest

GPU:
    RX480 Nitro+O.C.
    you sure your mobo is mounted on the mounting screws and not on the case itself? ive seen that done before and produces similar results.

18. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

Yeah I was just going to point this out. And like Seercirra said, make sure you use the standoffs to mount the mobo. And make sure you install the standoffs in the right location. An extra standoff in the wrong mounting hole can short circuit the board just like not using standoffs will. Then make sure you screw the board down in each location.

19. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    Though I must admit that missing a screw won't result in the problem you had, shouldn't be a problem in fact. But it's still best to keep to good practices when assembling a computer.

20. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

right but he took the shot of a small part of the mobo and it just happened to show a missing screw, what are the chances of their being several more missing screws? Pretty good I think.

There was a post just a week ago about a board that wouldn't start up when the guy only put in a couple screws to hold the board in place.