So I was impersonated...?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Phaedrus2401, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Phaedrus2401

Phaedrus2401 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD6950 2GB Unlock
    Hi everyone, it's Phaedrus2129, PSU Editor at Overclock.net. I was just informed that someone tried to impersonate me here on Guru3D (over a month after the fact--very prompt ;)), and I just wanted to clarify things here to make sure my name isn't tarnished and that this sort of thing doesn't happen again.

I'm not sure if the impersonator created a new account to look like me, or if he hacked an existing account of mine; while I read Guru3D reviews I don't really participate in the forums, but I do occasionally join forums to leave one-off comments. Either way I am changing my passwords just in case. If anyone doubts the veracity of this account, just PM me at my Overclock.net account, and administrators can email me at my listed forum email address.

As for the impersonator himself, well, it is the highest form of flattery but his impersonation was imperfect. Just a heads up, on my active forum accounts I try to keep my system specs up to date, and this person was listing components that I sold off in August, some four or five months out of date at the time. I also use correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and use care in constructing my sentences. If I'm in doubt, I'll even refer to the Chicago Manual of Style to make sure I'm not violating the English language. I am human though, and do make mistakes; but they're the exception, not the rule. I am hired for my writing skills, and I hope that it shows. The other exception to all this is when posting from a phone, which I don't do very often.

However, the biggest giveaway was this: I try not to be arrogant. I state my opinions calmly and as eloquently as possible. If my opinions are challenged I will present my case with evidence and technical arguments. I will NEVER use the argument of "Look at my shiny badge!" to try to win an argument. I am NOT infallible, I DO make mistakes, and I DON'T know everything. If I can't convince you with evidence and technical arguments then either my opinion is wrong, the evidence is inconclusive, or you are incredibly stubborn. I may occasionally become frustrated, even rude if pushed too far, but I will NEVER use my forum rank or credentials as an argument.

To give the impersonator credit, he did get parts of my opinions correct. However, without the context of my technical knowledge and experience he's applying them incorrectly. For instance, a high-end 750W PSU is sufficient for SLI GTX580s... assuming those 580s will never be overvolted, the CPU is a moderately clocked Sandy Bridge or lower wattage CPU, and the user isn't running a distributed computing program continuously. For most SLI 580 systems, you'll see me and my calculator recommending more like 850-1000W.

I'm glad to see this person banned, and that I was eventually told about it. I hope no one got a bad impression of me from this incident, and if anyone has questions or concerns don't hesitate to let me know.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I remember that guy yes, he got banned in the end for weird behaviour. Looks like your story checks out, and yeah .. there are weird peeps in cyberspace.

Sorry that happened to you and thanks for clearing it up !

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    :nerd:jellysheep for president:nerd:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  4. Phaedrus2401

Phaedrus2401 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD6950 2GB Unlock
    Thanks for unlocking me mate. :) And sorry if I caused any extra work with multiple posts, took me a couple minutes to figure out what was going on.

5. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Do you have any suspicions on who the impersonator was? I understand if you can't say publicly. :D

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Hello and welcome :thumbup:

7. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    what an inspiration :3

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    So old phaedrus was jellysheep?

9. Phaedrus2401

Phaedrus2401 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD6950 2GB Unlock
    No idea. Really though, it seems more like a fan than someone actually trying to hurt my reputation. He directly copied a lot of my posts, espoused many of my views more or less correctly, and even promoted my calculator for me. I think it was probably someone who follows and agrees with me and tried to spread my point of view to Guru3D, but was unable to without some credentials backing him up. So he impersonated me.

That's my theory anyway, based on what I've read of this guy.

10. Beast

Beast Guest

GPU:
    -
    /deleted

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Glad you cleared that up.

I was hoping such a prominent poster on OC3D wasn't such a pompous ass as this impostor made him out to be.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    To be fair, it looks like he copied and pasted the first post. Look at the following posts by him, the grammar in them makes me wince.

EDIT: Heh, the imposter confirmed it:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4184409&postcount=5

13. Phaedrus2401

Phaedrus2401 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD6950 2GB Unlock
    Don't tell me you're doubting my identity now because of grammar... *rolleyes* I can disprove that with the simple fact that I can count the number of times I've neglected to capitalize "I" in 2011 on one hand (three for the record) and all were when posting from my phone. The impersonator didn't capitalize hardly any "I"s, except in parts of his post that he directly copied from my posts. Which is probably why you think we have similar sentence structure and grammar.

14. Beast

Beast Guest

GPU:
    -
  15. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 1.5GB
    Yes even here he stuck out in this regard! :wanker: :)

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Though to be fair, it was kind of funny.

It was the first time I saw the tactic of "oh look at me on another forum and STFU" used.

17. Phaedrus2401

Phaedrus2401 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD6950 2GB Unlock
    Uck, some of this guy's posts were vile. Don't want to make work from the mods here, but if you have time could you delete the threads this guy made, and all his posts from this thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=354938&page=3 ?

I don't want my name associated with this guy's nonsense. And bringing quantum mechanics and philosophy into an argument that should be solved with actual evidence? Sigh.

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Some people seem to have way too much free time... I wonder if the guy got warm and tingly feeling inside too.

19. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I have done that, felt good. There was some troll on one forum, took his name, changed "0" to "O" in his name (then made that account). After that started posting helpful on-topic posts with good grammar. Didnt take long to make that troll angry, heh. :)

At this forum it wasnt me and not saying that Phaedrus2401 is a troll, I'm actually following him on YouTube.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Would probably be easier to just change the impostors name to "dipsh!t" and turn yours into what it should be.