seek graphic card drive 3 displays

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by young707, Jan 24, 2012.

1. young707

young707 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 512MB
    We are seeking graphic cards for all new systems for offices use. All systems are i7 LGA1155 Intel motherboard running Windows 7 x 64bits.

We seek graphic cards to drive three 1080p HD LCD displays. Bosses prefer no fans.

So far we found Sapphire FleX 100322FLEX Radeon HD6540 1GB PCIe x16, no fan. Output ports: 1xHDMI, 2xDVI (1 single link, 1 dual link)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=4w3dtwp49qo0

Our concern is this card requires two side by side back slots. Is there any other graphic cards out there similar to this design? Thank you.

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
  3. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

That card is End of Life

You might take a look at this one (fanless):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161374

or this one, which has 2 DVI ports and 1 HDMI instead of a VGA port.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161374

both of those are 6570s instead of a 6450 like you posted. There are quite a few single slot 6450s on newegg that have a DVI, VGA, and HDMI port.

4. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    there's also this GT520 with 2 DVI ports and a mini HDMI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130680

the question is really what type of input ports do your monitors have?

Also, in my experience, the small fans on the cards are barely audible if at all, not like the leaf blowers on their bigger cousins.

5. sabind12

sabind12 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD6950 2GB @900
    as far as i know you need display port or a display port active adaptor to power the third monitor on amd cards. they can only power two displays on legacy dvi vga hdmi. Any amd card 6k series with a displayport shouldd work as long as you connect one monitor to the display port connector

6. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    hmm, I know that was the case with the cards that had 2DVI, HDMI, and DP. I'm not sure if it holds true with the lower end cards that don't include DP at all though. Good point though and you definitely want to find out before buying the cards.

Most of the 64xx and 65xx cards I saw did not have DP, so you might have to move up a notch if that is the case.

7. young707

young707 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 512MB
    Thank you. We prefer DVI and/or HDMI to drive three LCD HD 1080p monitors.

This HIS H657H1G Radeon HD 6570 1GB PCIeX16 can ONLY drive 2 monitors, correct? Its output ports are HDMI + DVI + D-SUB (which is analog VGA).

I notice some (such as XFX HD-577X-Z5F3 Radeon HD 5770 1GB) has 5 output "mini Display Port" - how does it drive typical digital DVI or HDMI monitors?

8. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    The cards usually include a couple passive mini-DP to HDMI, DVI, or full size DP. You can also buy passive adapters for not much money. For resolutions much over 1080p you need an active adapter to convert to dual link DVI and those can be somewhat pricy ($40-50 I think?)

9. young707

young707 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 512MB
    Thank you. We are probably giving up on so call "Display Ports". To please the bosses, we are planning to stick with DVI and HDMI connectors and cables. Its much easier for support shop. Any advise?

For 1080p HD LCD display monitors, does DVI single link connectors suffice?

10. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

11. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    i researched this myself and the only amd cards to not need the aidtional DP adapters are the sapphire FLEX models. and sapphire has various models of the flex ranging from low end dektop use for what u need to mid range 6950 for games. i got a 6870 flex because 6950's are out of stock ,and works like a sharm. it inlcudes everything in the box. including the hdmi to dvi adapter. so just install it and plug your monitors and ready to go

12. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Ahh, yeah ok:

Unfortunately the only FLEX cards I see are the 6450 I think the OP originaly linked, and then it jumps up to the 6770 which is probably more than he needs.

That review I linked before said that 520 MDT goes for around $50 adn is single slot. It really seems like the perfect card if I could just find them anywhere, they were released back in April after all.

13. young707

young707 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 512MB
    Thank you all for your advises. Now we can offer options for 4 display simultaneously and I think users like that (bosses proud). :)

We are told to use DVI & HDMI cables for the support shop, and avoid different type of "Display Port". Techs can go to different buildings and office floors with minimal standard gears (or in the trucks) and get stations up and running quickly. We are timed and rated for service calls.

Found this Galaxy MDT GeForce GT520 1GB PCIeX16 fans. No price. Passive DVI fan out adapter to connectors.
    http://www.galaxytech.com/__en_gb__/Product242.aspx

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  14. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Yeah that's the manufacturer's page for the card in the review. The question is just where to get your hands on them.

15. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X