Strange computer noise

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Flames21891, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    2x Diamond Radeon HD 4870
    Hello, I'm writing this because I'm paranoid and this is driving me crazy.

Okay, So I recently upgraded from a Core2 Quad to the i7 2600k seen left. With it I got a new Mobo and RAM as well. I'm waiting on upgrading the GPU until Nvidia releases their new 28nm flagship and from there I'll make a decision.

But I digress. The problem I'm having is that my new build has a tendency to make a strange noise, but I have no idea what component it's coming from. It only happens when viewing very specific flash-based animations, or during some intro sequences for games (where the Developer and Publisher logos are coming up etc.)

These include the animations in Gmail (when the menus expand or drop down, or basically something animated moves) and is especially noticeable in the first intro sequence of Saints Row The Third. Oddly it does NOT happen at all in-game.

The noise in question sounds electrical. It's not a whining but more of a very faint but rapid...almost clicking sound. The noise varies depending on how many frames are being processed it seems, as it's very noticeable during the Saints Row sequence I mentioned, but relatively tame in Gmail. As an example, I have a custom Gmail skin, and it has a flashing bar in the top left that blinks much like the little line you see when typing. It makes a single click once when it fades in and once when it fades out. At such a low frequency it's extremely hard to hear, but I can tell it's doing it if I put my ear near the case.

Now the reason I'm so paranoid about this (besides the fact that it's likely not normal) is that I've had a similar experience before. With my old Core2 Quad system, I had an A-Bit IX38 Quad GT Mobo die on me, and it made that same sound in the same instances. When I got an ASUS Formula Rampage board to replace it I never heard that sound again. I'm unsure if the sound and the board dying were related, but they could be which scares me because now it's back.

Anyone have a vague idea on what could cause such a noise? As a side note I should mention that I've never suffered from any instability or weird behavior from this system at ANY time, so whatever it is doesn't seem to actually be causing anything to go wrong...I just hate knowing that it's there when it shouldn't be.

2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    try googling for "transistor squeal" dont have much info about this but i have read it happens.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I get a whine from my gpu when rendering stuff at insanely high fps (skyrim menus go over 3k fps sometimes). I use dxtory to limit my fps to 85 or so. It's related to fps in my case, at 3k fps it is noticeable, at 500 fps pretty much inaudible. Normal gaming (60-200 fps) is fine, not a beep.

4. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    I've never had that, but I looked up some videos on Youtube. It DEFINITELY doesn't sound like that. Like I said, it's not a squeal or whine, but like an extremely rapid succession of barely audible clicks.

Since it seems to be video related, is it possible it could be a PCIe lane? I'm fairly certain it's mobo related, considering these are the same cards I had on both my old A-Bit IX38 (had the same problem) and my ASUS Rampage Formula (did not have this problem) with the only thing changing between those two I mentioned being the mobo itself.

Either way, what seems strange is that I would get this same (apparently rare or unheard of) problem on 2 completely different mobos. My mobo is resting on proper standoffs, but perhaps it's off ever so slightly, causing a transistor to come in contact or be too close to one?

I was kinda hoping someone else would have some info or experience on the matter. This hardware is still relatively fresh, and I recently had my top 2 USB 3.0 ports randomly die. I was gonna ignore it but I suppose I could totally use that as an excuse to RMA the board if need be. What do you guys think, RMA or just deal with it? I really don't want to be without a computer for however long the RMA takes, especially since I'm in school right now. The mobo has a 3 year manufacturer warranty so even if I miss my 30 day RMA period with Newegg, I'd still be covered for a while if it goes belly up.

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    this might sound stupid, but have you checked the fans?:3eyes: ALL of them, case, psu, gpu, cpu. cos something maybe touchig one of the fans? a wire maybe?

6. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    It's not a fan problem. It doesn't make the noise until some types of video or animation show up. It's most noticeable and audible playing prerendered videos in games, and slightly noticeable but barely audible when certain animations using Flash play out, such as a mouseover causing an animation of a menu dropping down will cause the it to make the sound for the duration of the animation. It will stop once finished, likewise for the prerendered videos.

I'm considering trying to see if my video camera will pick up the noise so you guys could hear it first hand. It's not super loud but I can definitely tell it's there. Clicking is the closest thing I can attribute it to but even then that's a poor choice of words. It really is a sound all it's own and I don't know how to describe it.

7. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Try and record the sound.

Easiest way to isolate the sound is to use an old style megaphone, you can make one out of paper, use it to amplify different parts of your PC till you find out the general area of where the noise is coming from.

Strange thing is you have had this happen before, was any of the same hardware in use previously that you are also using now?

Also how rapid would you say the click is?

8. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Are you using onboard sound or a discrete card?

The symptoms sound like an interference issue. Well I'm assuming the sound is coming through the speakers and not from the case itself?

I noticed last night that my motherboard makes noise when I stress test the CPU, just a bit of a hum. I hadn't noticed it until now because I was sued to the sound of my CPU fan ramping up when the cpu was under load. Then I remembered my new fans all run at a constant speed, and I'd read of the VRMs on my P8Z68 board making noise under load.

9. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    Yeah, I should try that.

The only hardware that's still the same from my previous encounter with this problem are the graphics cards. If it was the cards, I'd actually be a little relieved because I'm going to replace them fairly soon anyways (whenever Nvidia decides to release Kepler) and in theory they've had some sort of "problem" since I got them and it's probably nothing to be worried about.

Also the click is pretty rapid, though it varies a bit depending on what is being displayed. If I had to take a shot in the dark...maybe 1000 clicks per minute is the fastest I've heard it.

It's not coming in through the speakers, it's definitely coming from the case somewhere.

Edit: Well the funnel test didn't yield too much in the way of results. I can't pinpoint it exactly but it's definitely coming from somewhere south on the mobo. It's either one of my cards or a capacitor or something

Gonna try using just one card, if it's still doing it I'll try the other. If it's STILL doing it, I think I can safely assume the mobo is making the noise somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  10. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    So it's the mobo. With only one card in and less fan noise I noticed there's a slight whine to the noise, so maybe it's a transistor after all. While not extreme, I'm going to RMA the board anyways. Point is, I dunno what the consequences are of a transistor I can't even pinpoint going pop and I'd rather not risk the hardware around it.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll be PC-less for a few days but hopefully I'll get a much better board this time. First time I've ever had an issue with an ASUS product (let alone a ROG product) so hopefully I just got unlucky.

In the meantime I guess I'll be stuck using the college library's computers for work

11. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    I just noticed you have an Asus ROG Z68, I wonder if you are hearing the same type of thing I am. Mine is a very mellow hum at full load which seems to fit this post over at hardocp from Raja@Asus:

although now that I read your first post, a "rapid clicking sound".... I dunno, but I guess an RMA cant hurt?

12. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    I am just guessing, but are you sure it's not your PSU?

And YES, i saw, that with some other MB you didn't hear this sound... but every different MB draws power differently from PSU, and it is possible, that this particular MB causes some PSU components to resonate more loudly.
    And it might have been the cause of your previous MB death... but I am just guessing.

13. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    To answer the last two comments, it's not a hum, it's...if you could hear electricity flowing through something it would probably sound like that. Actually it sounds kinda like a taser I suppose.

Also Im fairly certain its not the PSU. I have the old style overhead PSU mount, and the sound was definitely coming to from the bottom half of the case.

Worst case scenario is that I get a new board and still have the problem, but I'll be closer to solving the problem at least.