Rampage IV Extreme - 8pin EPS12V ATX Connector Problem (Burnt smell)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Tifone, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Tifone

Tifone Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 680 DC2 TOP
    Posted this on the ROG forums. Tell me what you think guys, should I buy a new PSU? It's working fine on my rig

Hello guys, I already RMA'd the Mainboard I only want to share my experience while waiting for a replacement. I installed a 3930k on the RIVE cooled by a Noctua NH-D14, 3 DIMMs of DDR3-2000Mhz Corsair RAM (set to 1866Mhz by me), a Vertex 3 120GB with 2 HDD and one 6970 and a Corsair HX850W PSU. Everything was working fine and I installed WIN7 with no problem. Then I started Battlefield 3 and after a while I got a BSOD. Started the system again and got another BSOD, Then I smelled a burning smell from inside the case (a CM Storm Trooper) ! So I shut down everything and removed every component to check it out. Everything was fine and the smell came from the 8pin ATX Connector on the board with no sign of burning though. Then I checked the PSU Cable but there was no sign of burning, everything was normal. So I re-installed every component but the system did not boot. The mainboard was correctly powered (The Green led of the RAM was on) but the CPU LED was red. I tried to switch the 8pin ATX to the 4 pin but this changed nothing. Any ideas?

I found a guy with the same problem http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2473141&postcount=2

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Are you sure the smell isn't coming from the power regulators next to the connector? It sounds like they might have burnt out.

3. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    what frequency was the cpu at when this occured?

4. Tifone

Tifone Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 680 DC2 TOP
    Everything was on stock. I only managed to install Win7, the related drivers and Battlefield 3.

5. Tifone

Tifone Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 680 DC2 TOP
    *Update*
    Ok they gave me a new mobo and sent the previous one to RMA.
    Everything is perfect now :)