7970 CF performance in BF3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Simkin84, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Simkin84

Simkin84 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE
    Return my Two 7970 and wait for Kepler? (BAD CF performance BF3))

Should i return my two 7970 and wait for Kepler, or should i wait for AMD to release a proper driver?

in BF3, the performance in HORRIBLE, i mean, two clocked 7970, no MSAA, and FPS drops down to 50 FPS? what is going on?

With the new driver and CAP3, i also get 1000p less in Vantage compared to the previous driver and CAP2...

Its totally unaccteptable to pay so much for a graphic solution, and get THAT ****ty performance..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. mao5

mao5 Guest

wait for better drv

3. locust76

locust76 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6990M CF 2GB
    Return it and wait for the Nvidia part. AMD can't write drivers to save their lives.

4. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Crossfire works for me in BF3 for my XFX 7970s. If anything, its smoother with the latest drivers (Well, I dunno if they're they're the latest drivers :p).

5. Ourasi

Ourasi Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    Check GPU load during FPS drop, if there is an issue with CFX, one or both cards will drop workload significantly.. If this happens, there is a CFX issue, either just you or with the drivers. Try latest two official betas, do not use CAP when you first check GPU load during drops, if FPS drops are there and GPU workload drops, then install CAP and only then to see if it adds performance. Try also to find these areas of drops on empty servers if you can, and try again on a different server with punkbuster disabled (known to cause issues)..

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Ouch 50 fps.. id wait until the next driver, if no fix, return it.

7. syncore

syncore Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    Welcome to the lovely world that is AMD multi-GPU. In the future, the drivers will probably improve things somewhat, but the performance gains will unlikely be miraculous. Personally, I'd wait for the new nvidia cards. I know that's what I'm doing :D

Damn... 50 fps. I get even better than that on a 6990 at 5760x1080 on HIGH settings in BF3 :eek:uch:

Something is probably wrong with your setup. I saw a guy on youtube ( link here ) who has the same setup as you -- probably better, actually, unless you have *five* 120hz screens in eyefinity -- who gets 60+ fps at all times on 5 screens, and 100+ fps at all times on 3 screens so you may want to ask him

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  8. Simkin84

Simkin84 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE
    In singleplayer, i have exactly double FPS with CF, but in MP, its not the case at all.

9. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Could be something up with your setup. We tested a single HD7970@1150Mhz Ultra Preset got min of 60 and up towards 80ish, 1920x1080, 120Hz monitor, Caspian Boarder.

10. Craftyman

Craftyman Member

GPU:
    3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
    I wonder if something's wrong with my crossfire setup as well, I can drop down into the high 40's in rare instances @ 1680x1050 on high preset with 6950 crossfire. I'm probably just paranoid though.

Using an i5 750 @ 4Ghz

11. Simkin84

Simkin84 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE
    With one card i also have decent framerate, but the problem is with CF, it drop to far down, i guess this is a CFX+BF3 driver issue..

12. Malfate

Malfate Guest

GPU:
    Radeon / 7970 / 3GB
    I will admit i am a bit disappointed at the maturity of the drivers (but not surprised). But in all Honesty... what did you REALLY expect? Brand SPANKING new architecture built from the ground up, A DIE shrink (28nm, a graphics card first), PCI-E 3 (a graphic card first). You would be very naive to think that it would work completely as planned...I only bought 1 7970, but i bought it knowing it would have its bugs and rand/weird performance issues.Thats what you get when you get the first generation of anything...

I already know the nvidia will probably have a better launch then amd and will probably reclaim the single fastest GPU title. Nvidia will have with their new lineup of a 28nm architecture that will be much more mature, PCI-E 3 (rumored i believe?), and more time developing driver than AMD since they made an early push (which i like personally)

Im sorry that you threw down $1000+ dollars :-/.

13. Shekers

Shekers Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor 7970 CFX
    I have had zero problems with my pair of 7970. In fact i've been very surprised by the performance i'm getting from it.

Just did a quick Fraps benchmark in Grand Bazar with everything Ultra @ 1920x1080 (4x MSAA). Avg: 89, Min:55, Max: 190. Looking at the FPS log, there were very few below 60 and I assume that's during heavy explosion. So if you're having problems, it's probably your setup.

14. Simkin84

Simkin84 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE
    Yeah, i'll maybe rushing to fast forward here, i'm gonna calm down and wait for drivers to mature, just a little disapointed but again, its spanking new..

15. dox_aus

dox_aus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 290 Gaming CF
    Where are you getting these sub 60fps? Im guessing on the newer b2k maps, specially when looking thru a rifle scope/vehicle screen overlay while looking at fire & smoke. (also think its related to late stages of a map when there are heaps of rubble and debris from destroyed buildings , similar to how tehran highway lagged on release). Personally i frequently see my fps drop to 48fps etc on those maps with my hw, even as low as 30fps on metro 64 down the tunnels. I think anyone not getting drops with amd hw probably isnt playing the game enough to notice.

16. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    cpu limit.

17. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Op could sell one of his card. Then he will get better BF3 performance.

18. Simkin84

Simkin84 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE
    With an 2600k @ 4.5Ghz?

i dont think so. CPU usage is around 50%

No, i will not, i have tried. Two card are no doubt better for BF3, even two card struggle in this game, and with one card i dont get decent framerate for my 120Hz monitor.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    You'll be in the same boat with Kepler, as that to wont have any drivers when its released.

20. Matthew Simis

Matthew Simis Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    Are you really running 2x 7970's on a single monitor? You have the core of a great Eyefinity setup right there.