Fermi, GTX460, GTX470, GTX465, GTX480...Bios Modding..Edit Voltage restrictions-mods

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BetA, Sep 15, 2010.

1. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    ok got it..

well, so the bios u just send me was the one u allready had on teh card BUT it doesnt boot cause of too ow voltage?

cause teh voltages on both bios u gave me are the same..u cant give me a number where u know its stable? do u?

i ask because i dont wanna put any voltage on there.i could make 3 biose with diff voltages for u to test then..is that ok?

2. Exilious

Exilious Guest

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX 470
    Sounds good to me. Just mark them so I can try them from the lowest and go up so I don't flash anything higher than needed. As long as windows boots and is stable, I'll be happy and can work with Afterburner to tweak.

Looking forward to the bios. Cheers.

Edit: Those are both the exact same links, by the way. Both for GTX 470.

3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    ok, here we go..
    i made 3 biose...

Named TestVolt1 to 3..
    1 has a very liottle over voltage to start with and test. The 2 and 3 are also each one step higher...

i also changed teh FUll 3D voltage to 1.050 volts...In some articles they say that when they flashed teh gtx470 bios to the gtx465 the entry voltage was just 1.000v, and it was not stable at all..after they changed it to 1.050 v it worked like it should... this voltage setting is a littlebit more then the default gtx470 has..teh gtx480 uses around 1.075v or more...

please be carefull and if u are in windows, check with afterburner and so what volateg u use etc..mpnitor it please and when everything works, come back here and tell me whats up ;)

heres teh download, and here a pic..

[​IMG]

4. Exilious

Exilious Guest

GPU:
    PNY XLR8 GTX 470
    Thanks for your help, but the voltages made no difference. I guess the extra 2 memory modules are DOA, so I will have to settle for GTX 465 with 448 CUDAs until I see a good sale on Newegg on a 500 series. Thanks again.

5. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    ok, i guess ur right..Maybe the memory interface isnt possible with ur card. And i wouldnt go higher on the voltage anyway..the idles one..so i guess u only have the cuda cores, but hey, better then nothing right? ;) At least we tried.

-BetA-

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  6. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Guest

GPU:
    12GB RX 6700XT
    The hell!?

It's my choice! Who are you to tell me this!? I want to get the most out of my GPU and you're trying to keep me from this? Why? It doesn't get any hotter than 75*C anyways and I have the U3 cooler.

7. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    And well..im the person trying to tell u that OC ing an laptop gpu isnt such a good idea...But well if u know better..lets do it...Ur call man..
    OOps...edit: sorry mate..i guess Laptop GPU´s arent meant for any modding at all..at least not with all the tools i have here..

Tried 20 min. now to edit this..seems like theres no tool for Laptop Gpu´s out there..i see the speeds and all..but it wont let me change VOLTAGE, COOLING, and other stuff...SO, im sorry mate but theres nothing i can do...Also that ´s what i thought at the beginning, thats why i said well leave it, u ether gonna kill it or it wont work..so here we are having that issue...

well, heres a screen, so u can see theres no volatge tab i can change nor edit..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  8. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Guest

GPU:
    12GB RX 6700XT
    Figured as much. And I've already overclocked it fairly heavily without any gain in temps.

Alrighty... well, at least this time we've managed to get a non-corrupt version of the bios to you. :p

9. geronimo666

geronimo666 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI rx6800 Gam. Z T
    Hi all.

@BetA, mate, could you change my default/lowest fan speed on gigabyte gtx460 1gb oc if I send you my bios? how/where to send the file?

I would try 25 or 30% maybe (default lowest is 40%). I'm trying to lower the noise in my machine for idle times (90% of time I'm browsing or similar non stress stuff) cos I installed noctua cooler and fans and now my GPUs are to noisy.

BTW could you do the same for gigabyte 9800GT which I use as PPU in my machine (default low fan speed is 35%)?

when the card is under stress (gaming) I always use manual 80-90% for GPU.

thanks.

10. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

hy there..

yes i can do that...For the 9800 im not shure but i will try...should work..

Just use Mediafire.com as teh hoster for ur files...

greetz BetA

11. geronimo666

geronimo666 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI rx6800 Gam. Z T
    here it is mate:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?oja1o196z05zy9x

It was saved with GPU-Z v0.6.2. hope that's ok?
    also I tried opening these files with nibitor (not these that I'm sending you, these are original untouched) to see if I'll understand anything without going thrue some guide but I didn't get much info. almost all options are greyd out or empty which is strange to me :3eyes:.

anyway this is what I would like to achieve. main goal is silence (or close) in idle. under load I don't care and I set always fans to 80-90% (for 460) to get the most cooling:

9800GT - min fan rpm 20% if you think is acceptable. also I don't know if you can/should raise the threshold at which the fan starts spinning faster. let's raise for 5C if you think that's ok. this card is used for PPU so I don't think it matters much and it doesn't get very hot.

GTX460 - min rpm 20 or 25% whichever you think is ok.

I have attached aida log so you can see my temps/specs under load in mafiaII so you can see PPU temps. room arround 22C.

pass for the file is: aaa

thanks.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  12. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    hy there,

ok, i looked at it and did some stuff..
    For teh GTX460, it wasnt a problem at all...
    BUT, the 9800 is a diff story..it has teh OLD fan profiles..and there are too many options , so i dont really know what to do..i mean i could test but i dont wanna fry ur card...so im not gonna mod teh 9800gt now..If i found a better tutorial or more info on teh old fan controlls ill let u know mate ;)

anyway, heres teh GTX460 bios:
    [​IMG]

Fo rthe Flash Guide..its not hard..we have a nice tutorial here @ guru3d..

-->
    if u need any help, feel free to ask..

and when i know more about that 9800gt , ill let u know ;)

greetz BetA

13. geronimo666

geronimo666 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI rx6800 Gam. Z T
    Hi,
    I'll check the guide. I found a few other good guides here, so I have some reading to do. thank you for this. cheers.

14. Wartheridon

Wartheridon Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix Gtx 580P
    GIgabyte 460 SE help

Hi guys im new in foruns! well, my brother give me is old rig

PSU: Corsair 600w
    MB: Asus Rampage Extreme
    Cpu: Intel Core 2 Duo e8500 (3.16 Mhz)
    VGA: Gigabyte Gtx 460 SE 1gram DDR5
    Ram: Corsair 2x2 4GRAM ddr3 1600

I like to know if anyone have a BIOS modded for Gigabyte Gtx 460 SE !

i overclock CPU AND RAM, and i like to push a bit por VGA sinse i read before that this card can overlock easy at nice temps,

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

tks for your time and suport

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  15. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    hy there,,

i dont have a modded bios here, but we can make one the way u like it to be..
    JUst tell me what u need and want..and aslo make shure u know the temps of teh gpu under heavy load. etc etc...so we can start..

greetz BetA

16. Wartheridon

Wartheridon Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix Gtx 580P
    HI BetA, tks for your replay, atm im testing VGA card with MSI AFTERBURNER. I need 2 your 3 days to test and Benchmark.

After that i just need to give you my VGA BIOS and tell you what GPU clock i want? and yes fans´s at 100% :p ?

Tks for your time and suport, im kinda noob with this overlocks things.

"heat is my enemy"

17. Wartheridon

Wartheridon Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix Gtx 580P
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  18. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well, the first thing i would advice is that u ONLY use afterburner for OCING and not via BIOS at all..Its safer this way...

WHat i do i setting up ur bios to ur likes...changing fan min and max. giving u the choice of more voltage etc etc...

The IMPORTANT part is, DOnt use to much voltage and takle care of teh heat...Heat is the enemy...

What cooler are u using on teh VGA? WQhat tower u have? what airflow? et cetc..all important..

i think 850 Mhz is very very doable.maybe even 900+..with ur card...
    Of course we might need to up teh voltage a little but that aint the prob ;)

im gonna dll ur bios now..see what s up...

cya later...
    beta

EDIT:

ok, i have a problem here...

[​IMG]

The Bios u linked me is BROKE..That means worthless..
    What i need u to do now is using GPU-Z and making a BIOS Backup from ur Card, so we can work with YOUR Bios from UR Card...not som erandom uploaded bios...

Thats the Button u need to Klick for the backup ;)

[​IMG]

that will work better..

greez BetA

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  19. Wartheridon

Wartheridon Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix Gtx 580P
  20. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    ok, this BIOS is GReen, means its good..hehe
    So, im gonna open the max voltage..so u can use more voiltage , BUT be aware that u need to know what ur doing there..and dont use too much voltage...i set the max voltage limit to 1.150..instead of 1.212..i think thats enough..

ok..the Clocks i leave as they are for now..
    Best is if u use afterburner to OC and make profiles..we also could set the stable clock in the bios..so its default..it depends on you and the cooling...

for the voltage...Try 1.025 voltage and 850 - 860 MHZ GPU...
    if this is stable. we will work from there ;)

but u need to test all this first..
    And watch the temps..tell me the temps then..in idle and under heavy load after 15 min..

after that we will know what we can do with the card and its bios..

greetz BetA