system powers on for 3 seconds then dies

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by deathnz1, Jan 20, 2012.

1. deathnz1

deathnz1 New Member

GPU:
    2x Nvidia XFX 295gtx
    okay basically the other day my computer shut down after about an hour and a half of use. i have had the system coming up on 2 years now. anyway after it shut down it just restarts for 3 seconds it doesnt even get to the bios then it crashes and restarts again.

now i have tried everything psu mb etc i even went out and brought all new parts apart from psu and case. so the new mb cpu ram and gfx and it still did this. so i used a flatmates psu which i had tried before ordering new parts which didnt fix the problem and it still didnt fix it. so its not the mb cpu ram psu gfx or hdd's

my thoughs were maybe the case wasnt grounded properly. even though it did it randomly one day. so i grabbed my old mb and tried to power it up using my flatmates psu however this still didnt fix it. so it cant be the case.

i would list my system specs however i see it pointless seen as how i replaced everything apart from the psu and case. i am running a hx1000watt corsair psu so its not a point of not getting enough power esp when i tested the mb's with nothing plugged into them. and nothing else plugged into the psu.

2. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    You need to take the board out from the case and try it on out on the desk atop some cardboard or something. Start from there... clear CMOS and boot with just 1 stick of memory, PSU, mainboard, and CPU (heatsink of course). Do you POST?

3. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    2x Diamond Radeon HD 4870
    That's...extremely odd. Honestly the only thing I could think of is your wall outlet, seeing as you've literally replaced every other part :s

Try it on another outlet maybe?

4. Cambria

Cambria Guest

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    Id say its the PSU. Had this problem before. Its probably failing for some reason, or there is a short somewhere.

PSUs can be faulty and do go bad.

Highly doubt its the socket. Unless your house has horrible electrical wiring, which it shouldnt since there are building codes in place.

If you tried a different PSU on the old hardware, that still doesnt exactly count the old one out since you are using different hardware. It could be that your failing PSU caused some sort of problem corrupting the old hardware.

Or, its just a short.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

5. Flames21891

Flames21891 Member

GPU:
    2x Diamond Radeon HD 4870
    Well yeah, but he said he borrowed his friend's PSU to test and it still did the same thing, even with a whole new set of parts. Considering he pretty much built a whole separate computer and he's still having the same problem, I'd rule out faulty parts.

Other than the wall socket, or perhaps the PSU power cable itself, what factor has not changed?

6. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    PSU plugged directly into the receptacle, or into an outlet strip?

7. vonalka

vonalka Guest

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    Can you confirm if you tried it with only 1 stick of ram, as suggested by someone earlier? Also, what type of HD are you using?