MSI Afterburner 2.2.0 Beta 10 (2012-01-06)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Jan 6, 2012.

1. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Yes, but enable OSD first (or start RTSS manually) then click the wrench icon.

RTSS needs to be running in your system tray.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Beta 11 will be submitted to MSI soon. Changes list includes:

- Added memory voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON 7970 graphics cards with CHL8228 voltage regulators
    - Now MSI Afterburner displays target VID instead of real voltage sensor reading on "GPU voltage" graph on graphics cards equipped with CHL8228 voltage regulators. These changes are implemented to avoid confusing the beginners and prevent the hysteria about voltage drop on AMD RADEON 7970 series graphic cards spreading across different discussion forums. Experienced users, understanding the difference between target and real voltages, may still unlock the previous real voltage monitoring mode via editing the hardware profiles
    - Core and memory clock limits have been extended to 180% on AMD RADEON 7970 graphics cards in unofficial overclocking mode
    - Now MSI Afterburner's startup daemon routine precaches VRM I2C registers state at the first Windows startup. Precached VRM state is being used to detect default voltage instead of hardcoding default voltages into the database. Please take a note that you may forcibly perform precaching later with command line switch or disable the precaching at all via configuration file if necessary and force MSI Afterburner to use the previous hardcoded database based default voltage detection
    - MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 4.3.1. New version gives you the following improvements:
    o Added workaround for AMD OpenGL driver context switching issues causing abnormally low framerate in ID Software Rage when OSD is enabled
    o Added workaround for AMD OpenGL driver PBO issues causing the driver to crash or perform abnormally slow during videocapture

The main reason of releasing new version is highlighted in bold. I'm tired of seeing lamers badmouthing current version of MSI Afterburner because of it "incorrect" voltage control causing "voltage drops" in different forums. Now preceise voltage monitoring from real sensor is simply hidden from users's eyes and you see traditional target VID monitoring, which was available in the previous graphics card families.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Why is it that if you use vsync and the frame rate limiter enabled 57/58fps you get no input lag whatsoever with vsync?. Noticed this today, Did a search and see that others have done it aswell. However if you set 60fps for 60HZ same as your monitor the input lag is back.

Not that I'm complaining

4. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Thanks Unwinder for the new Beta, MSi AB constant improvement is trully amazing.

Hilarious. It's funny on one side but sad on the other that you are somehow "forced" to change the way you like your app to function because of damn lammers...

5. ACEkombatkiwi

ACEkombatkiwi Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic 6950 in CF
    Thanks for the reply Unwinder, looks like I am going to have to use Trixx from now on which is a shame because it is no where near as good as AB.

6. thebundok

thebundok Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX 1.5x2 (SLI)
    Hello Everyone. Brand new to Afterburner. Hoping you could help sort some things out.

I'm assuming that when running two cards in SLI all data shown for GPU1 is combined for both.

What about information regarding Temp and Fan Speed? My recent tests showed no fluctuation on GPU2 but surely it's being used? Is GPU2 completely ignored for all information when SLI is enabled?

Second, regarding GPU Memory Usage, during my last test (Skyrim) it was nearly constant at 1.47GB but never going even a hair above 1.5GB. Can I assume that it's then using only half of my combined 3GB or is something else going on here?

i7-2600K (Stock)
    MSI N580GTX Lightning 1.5GB (Stock)
    16GB Ram (Stock)

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

7. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Essentially less frames/commands are being queued, which decreases latency. But there is always some added latency with vsync on versus vsync off, even though it's often unnoticeable.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
  9. solidsteel144

solidsteel144 Active Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 5970
    I find the actual voltages displayed more useful than the set voltages when it comes to the monitor. I'll be keeping actual voltage enabled. :)

It is annoying that there's a lot of people on different forums saying AB is reporting the wrong voltages...

10. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I have uninstalled beta 9 installed beta 10 and it wont start anymore. MSI OSD server starts, but MSI alone no chance, I just got a black sqare that's it. It looks it cannot load the interface.....:3eyes: I use Vista 64 atm. Any ideeas?? Beta 9 cannot be installed as expires.

UPDATE:

reistall fixed some issues, it starts after a long waiting time and give an error message "can't establish connection with the update server" or something simillar....

any thoughts??

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

11. Unwinder

The error message is giving you more than enough info, MSI update server is down and update checking times out.

12. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    ok thanks, but is unusual to have a non responsive program if the update server is foe example down, a typical message or similar with "Please wait...bla bla bla" would have been better. No offense but till now never had similar issues with MSI afterburner.

13. Unwinder

No offense, but I and this forum section have zero relations to supporting MSI servers.

14. Thorokk

Thorokk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970x2
    So I posted a thread about this and I guess it was supposedly a duplicate (my bad) but I can not find the answer anywhere in this thread. AB is showing huge voltage spikes for some 7970 users and no one seems to be sure if it's just a reading error and/or normal behavior for the 7970's voltage controller.

To clarify I am not talking about the voltage drop that occurs due to vdroop I am talking about large voltage spikes (as in really high voltages) which seem to occur even at stock clocks/voltages.

these reading are causing alot of concern on other forums so if anyone has a definitive answer it would be really helpful.

Like I said I have looked all over and can not seem to find anything not saying it's not there but if it's burried somewhere in 42 pages of forum posts it's not going to do the general community any good.

I'm not trying to be rude just asking for a little help from one enthusiast to another.

15. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    Unwinder is not only an enthusiast but the developer of this fine utility. Your concerns are probably already addressed in the beta 11 version which will hopefully be released very soon.

16. Unwinder

Nothing is and will be addressed in this area, spikes on the graps are results of I2C collisions when running multiple tools accessing VRM at the same time, there are explicit warnings about it in th context help of voltage monitoring unlocking and he got the recommendation to read help of voltage monitoring unlocking option prior to using it twice. Nothin else to be added to it, nothing to fix.

17. diwik

diwik Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 1Gb (stock)
    Здрасьте. В игре L.A. Noire не отображается температура карты, фпс, частоты... В других играх отображается нормально... Бета 10 стоит) как быть? Дрова ccc 12.1а

18. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Купить игру в стиме :nerd:

19. Unwinder

Никак не быть, специфика защиты нестимовской версии игры.

20. diwik

diwik Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD5870 1Gb (stock)
    Ясно. Frame Limit - Вещь получилась)) Спасибо за прогу!!! Когда можно будет финальную версию заюзать?))