nVidia promised us drivers once a month, what happened ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Hammie, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I remember long long time ago even in the detonater driver days nVidia specifically made it clear, we release drivers once a month.

I remember ATI promising this too.

What happened ? The latest WHQL drivers are 285.xx from about 3 months ago.

They have their 290.53 which Im using.. but its beta.. then they release another beta, one after another, in the last 2 months.

What happened to WHQL , once a month ? gl :bang::bang::bang:

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    WHQL drivers are rarely used anymore by nVidia Users. The BETA drivers often perform a lot better.

Seeing there arn't much games released last 4 weeks there isn't need of a new Driver i guess.

Or maybe nVidia is waiting untill game developers get their act together and start fixing game engines instead of nVidia having to fix it for them :)

3. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    WHQL doesn't mean anything anymore in this fast paced video driver development world. If you want new stuff to work with less issues or without any issues, betas are the way to go.

4. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I don't remember them ever saying they'd have a WHQL every month. Driver, yes, WHQL certified, no. Besides, WHQL doesn't mean anything other than its passed Microsoft's quality labs to run in Windows. Truthfully, in the last few months I've had better luck with the beta driver releases behaving or running better than any of the WHQL's. FYI, there have been drivers every month, just not WHQL stamped.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Lot of people think BETA these days mean highly unstable and for testing only. That's something from 10 years ago.

Last BETA releases ran smoother for me than the WHQL releases.

6. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Thank you all for your each of your replies.

I understand now. I always download betas when they come out, the international releases are risky tho no ? Ive never had problems with nVidia.. Its the stupid ATI X800 XT PE I had from 2004,,, gave me hell for 3 years , Driver issues galore... I download a new whql driver and I get CCC errors and blue screens. ATI blows goat when it comes to drivers.

Since my 8800 GT not a single problem ,, installing drivers etc etc, nVidia betas are fantastic. ATI WHQL and Betas are horrible. Im not trying to start a troll post about how ATI drivers sux,, But the facts are THEY DO!!! ,, and they will never get their act together.

Just like the ALL IN WONDER card,,, had soo many driver issues and desktop corruption issues.... stupid ATI,, never will I touch AMD or ATI with a ten foot pole... thx gl

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i certainly wouldn't want to upgrade my drivers once a month. i just only do it whenever i have a game issue that a driver specifically fixes. which doesnt happen too often. even rarer if i have a game with noticeably poor fps. i'm still on 280.26whql

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I use the international beta drivers and no show stopping bugs yet. I do wait a few days before downloading the drivers by reading the relevant thread on the forum and see what the driver is like before installing it.

It was ATI who promised monthly WHQLs btw :p

9. Vash63

Vash63 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB x2
    Why would international drivers be any more risky? You think Nvidia only releases the 'good' drivers to the USA or something?

10. rootsoft

rootsoft Member

GPU:
    MSi GTS 450 SC
    The latest BETA drivers run great for me!

11. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Meh, I would rather have a release every two or three, or even four months, if the drivers would not fix one thing and break another.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wow....nice troll post....

FACTS are, that you don't know anything about AMD's graphics drivers if you haven't used their cards since 2006.

Good luck.....lol

Without starting from scratch on every driver, it's next to impossible to do regular releases without breaking something, somewhere.

13. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:

They lied.

Next question.

14. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    If you ask me, its the betas that people refer to when they say 'nvidia has good driver support'. And I fully agree with that too, nothing wrong with the betas I've used so far, and I always get fixes soon after a game releases, so no complaints.

AMD's driver support was poor but now they have improved a LOT!

15. alpha2beta

alpha2beta Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 3080
    Well I can say I have used ATI/AMD video cards since 2006 and there drivers have been improving but are STILL not as good as Nvidia drivers, sorry.

16. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    ATi/AMD is fartn out beta drivers 2 times a week.. Must suck to be and Nvidian...

Lol, try em nowadays I havnt had a problem in any games since i got started.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've been using ATI/AMD cards since the mid-90's and never experienced a problem with drivers. The only driver problem I've actually experience, was the well known "black screen of death" that plagued the G94 cards and the stuttering that plagued the GTX400 series for the first several months after release.

18. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    liar

19. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    Its TDRs that are holding WHQL back.

btw there is a new beta is on the way, WHQL should be released end January or early-mid February.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Exactly what am I lying about?