SSD vs. SATA

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by dparry, Dec 30, 2011.

1. dparry

dparry Guest

GPU:
    Dell Precision M4600
    I need a new HD for backing my work system up since I'm not directly connected to a network. I was thinking about replacing my optical drive with a caddy (seen here) and if I did, I'd like to use a SSD. I use an emulator prorgam for my optical drive anyway and I could always use an external one if I absolutely needed it. The only problem is that they don't seem to come very big. There is the Segate Momentous see here which has the Adaptive Memory Technology so it behaves like a solid state. I want to get as much space as possible without spending a ton of cash. Any thoughts?

Also, can anyone tell me if there are any benefits other than the obvious for going the caddy route? Could you maybe deviate caches onto the other drive or do anything to increase performance?

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Ever since the Thailand flood, I believe Momentus XT's price has ballooned more than any other 2.5" HDDs, even with the new 750GB being recently released.
    But, it's still the fastest HDD for laptops with lots of space; just be sure to update the firmware before putting anything on it.

Though, if you need 'get as much space as possible without spending a ton of cash', Momentus XT is probably not the right avenue to turn into as any other HDDs would do just fine and cheaper.

3. scr3am

scr3am Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Have you considered a large flash drive if your main goal is just to backup data, 64GB flashes are very reasonable. If you need a ton of space the best option is standard 1TB 2.5" drive.