New 1155 Pack

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gsbueno, Jan 5, 2012.

1. gsbueno

gsbueno Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD HD 6870
    Hello Guys!

I'm looking for changing my 775 "combo" (Maximus 2 Formula, Intel Q9550 and 4GB DDR2 800MHz) for a 1155 pack. I'd like to spend the less I can so I was thinking about this:

[​IMG]

I know it's a dual core instead a 4 cores, but, right know, I prefer to spend a few or nearly 0 euros in a dual 1155 cpu and later upgrade to Ivy rather than taking a 2500K or 2600K. Otherwise, I've seen some reviews of that cpu and it seems to be better than mine!

I use my PC to play games and College stuff.

What do you think?

Thank you very much and have a great day!

2. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    In April Ivy will be out. Why not wait until then? Why spend 120-130$ on a CPU that will be sold then for much less? Do you have problems with your setup? Is the 9550 overclocked?

3. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    Wait then for IB,your CPU can hold till then.
    If you cant w8 then go for the 2500K,IB will be just a little faster as it seems and will consume less power.The integrated GPU will see a big jump,but the processing power of the CPU will be almost on pair with SB(3-5% diff.)
    Those are speculations based on leaks...so dont get this for granted,but as a good probability.

4. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Q9550 to i3-2120 is a near-worthless upgrade. 10-20% improvement at best.

Wait for Ivy Bridge and the new chipset that will be released with it.

If you want to upgrade something, rather spend on a GPU upgrade like 7870/7950 in February. Or buy an SSD.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

5. gsbueno

gsbueno Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD HD 6870
    I know there's little improvement going from a Q9550 to a i3-2120, I was thinking in having a new platform so I could improve it in a year or so!

Also, I know that everyday my rig worth less money!

Thank you very much for you comments guys!

6. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    The thing is that there will be a new chipset too. Thus new mobos with PCIe 3 standard and all that.

Even if you want to keep that Z68 mobo, its better to buy it when Ivy comes out, since it will be probably cheaper by then.

And DDR3 prices get lower and lower as more time passes (that said, they could pull out a "stop production until price doubles" anytime like various companies did when DDR2 price was way too low).

That said, you will get lots of upgrading options with that new setup. So maybe if you can get that for a similar price as your current rig it isnt a bad idea at all.

You have any use for the i3 after Ivy comes out? If you plan to sell it, its price will be pretty bad by then, right after a new CPU gen coming out isnt good. So you may loose money in the process.

If you plan to keep it anyway, then i'd say yeah. Buy that z68 mobo, i3 and the ram.

7. gsbueno

gsbueno Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD HD 6870
    My plan is to keep it as long as I can (the i3+z68+ram)! I just want to have a Ivy Bridge "ready" motherboard just in case something come's up and I can afford it.

Also, I'll wait until Ivy because what you said The Chubu (SB lower prices!).

Anyway, can you give me an idea of what price can I set in ebay for the whole pack?

Have a great day guys and thank you all for your help!!

8. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Search ebay for completed listings

9. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I was going to upgrade as well but ultimately decided to wait for IB and the new gpu's.

10. saguran

saguran Guest

GPU:
    MSI N660ti TF IV SLI
    Well it depends on your budget and how much you game, and on what kind of resolution. If your already on a tight budget, ask yourself are you really going to upgrade when Ivy comes out?