Nvidia GTX 780=twice the speed of GTX 580 :-) Hope it's true

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by RagDoll_Effect, Jan 3, 2012.

1. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Exactly...

regards,
    RagDoll.

2. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    If you want to talk ROP performance
    http://www.anandtech.com/Show/Index...sort=0&page=21&slug=amd-radeon-hd-7970-review

This page should spell it out.

Switching from MSAA to SSAA half's the 7970's performance advantage against both the 580 and the 6970. This shows DEFINITE proof that the 7970's ROP are NOT as efficient as AMD's claims them to be, and in fact the 580's ROP's are most like more efficient due to be able to handle the SSAA setting much better than the 7970 can.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/23

Similar ROP limitation here at lower resolutions where the shaders may not be taxed as much. As 7970 and 6970 both take a huge hit compared to 570/580, it could be driver related as Anand alludes to, but I'd be more inclined to think its an ROP limitation due to both cards taking such a drop (and the ROP's are similar).

However:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/26

Pixel fill test does show a fairly large ROP throughput gain. But of course its hardly a real world test.

3. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    well i'm gonna go with amd/ati ****ty drivers. none of the cards manage to get even close to their theoretical potential which is way higher for nvidia.

and ye i'm basing it on pixel fill test.

4. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

They never do.

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    would be awesome if they did manage to get even 50%

6. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    True, but they're all theoretical limits based on that particular hardware, they do not take into account the other stages that the data must pass through before being sent to the ROP's for processing, or driver overheads or even CPU / Memory subsystem overheads (which should be very small tbh).

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The GTX 780 (whatever happened to the GTX 680 or even the GTX 380 for that matter?) will be my next graphics card as I find NVIDIA's drivers to be vastly superior to AMD's and a graphics card is only as good as its drivers after all. Definitely will not be using SLI either as it is just too much hassle from my brief (seven months) experience with CrossFireX and HD 5870, particularly as most games are multiformat lead developed on one of the consoles. As such I only desire the most powerful single GPU graphics card and NVIDIA haven't let me down yet since my first graphics card from them, a RIVA TNT, if I recall correctly. :)

It's good that NVIDIA's new cards are due around the time Intel are rumoured to be releasing their new Ivy Bridge CPUs as I plan on upgrading both my CPU and GPU some time this year. I may wait until the latter half of the year though, it depends, as I want to avoid having to reinstall everything. Might be better really to wait until Windows 8 is released. I'll see how it goes. The truth is that my current system with a GTX 580 and an overclocked i7-920 @ 3.6 GHz is still a beast and more than capable of running 99.98% of games at decent framerates on my 24" 1920x1200 display so I don't really need anything more powerful... yet!

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Also I'm hoping that the GTX 780 is more GTX 280/GTX 580 awesome and less like the disasterous GTX 480 with was pretty much slated critically and forced me to switch my pre-order to an AMD HD 5870 at the last second.

The GTX 580 was a refresh of the GTX 480 though so one would hope that the Kepler chip is less problematic in terms of heat, cores and noise than Fermi was. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes on Semi-Accurate as I'm sure the guy on there will be blabbering about how awful Kepler is going to be (if he isn't already). Still, it's a good site for a laugh. ;)

9. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    The GTX 780 will hopefully be a card that is fully scalable in SLi, which is why I'm gonna get one first and then a second one a year later... I might even get a GTX 770 if it's good and then another one later. The good thing about todays mobo's is that almost all of them have 2 or more PCI EXpress x16/8 slots.

regards,
    RagDoll.

10. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    It is all vapourwhere. Speculation. Inyourendo.

11. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Agreed!!! AMD Drivers are a mess....

12. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    I have no any problems on my GTX 480 :D but before I got freeze (w/ or w/o BSOD) lool but I changed from default to custom for FAN auto-speed using eVGA precision to fix freeze/BSOD. ;)
    but when GTX 480 will die, I will get RMA to get free GTX 780(?) or high-end Maxwell card for good luck. :)
    why will you upgrade to GTX 780?

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Actually that isn't what Nvidia said. The link you posted says:

NVIDIA Kepler To Do Away with Hotclocks
    Since the days of NVIDIA's very first DirectX 10 GPUs, NVIDIA has been using different clock domains for the shaders and the rest of the GPU (geometry domain). Over the past few generations, the shader clock has been set 2x the geometry domain (the rest of the GPU). 3DCenter.org has learned that with the next-generation "Kepler" family of GPUs, NVIDIA will do away with this "Hotclock" principle. The heavy number-crunching parts of the GPU, the CUDA cores, will run at the same clock-speed as the rest of the GPU.

It is also learned that NVIDIA will have higher core speeds overall. The clock speed of the GK104, for example, is expected to be set "well above 1 GHz", yielding compute power "clearly over 2 TFLOPs" (3DCenter's words). It looks like NVIDIA too will have some significant architectural changes up its sleeve with Kepler.

It may very well be right or not. The chart doesn't match up with the claims of core speeds 'well over 1ghz either. In other words, I take this all with grain of salt.

14. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    As my next upgrade I am planning on a screen that can do over 2500 pixel res, and judging by fps at that res, current videocards are slow. If tthese nvidia stats are true, 2x 780's in SLI should lety me play at that res at "playable" fps in modern games.

Only regret, its not DX12.

15. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Lots of nvidia people having problems with 280+ series nvidia drivers.
    TDR, lock ups, crashes.

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&fp=d7e744fa241f46c0&biw=1508&bih=828

But yeah, I still prefer nvidia drivers to ATI. Mainly because I SLI/Crossfire, and in my experience multi-GPU is more mature with nvidia.
    ATI has too many cases where crossfire just doesn't work at all, and nvidia SLI tends to 'simply work' most of the time.

In the rare case where SLI doesn't work, it's usually easy to resolve by making a custom profile, tweaking some settings till you're good to go.
    ATI just leaves you with no options. If it doesn't work, it's not gonna work. Might as well give up until another driver version comes out (ALTHOUGH, they're bringing back profiles, so maybe there will be some tweaking options in there...).

-scheherazade

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

16. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    lol some one saved my graph :3

seriously though until I see the retail card sat in a machine with some real games playing on it this is just all hear say.

17. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
  18. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Hmm.. not this again. The second list looks interesting though (chiphell watermarked), the gk100 looks like it'll be a great chip, just wondering when it's set to release.

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Lol, yeah, it's a GOOD overclocker and not far off from the GTX 580 which is Nvidia's FASTEST single GPU...

My GTX 480 still kicks ass & coupled with a 2600k theres nothing it can't handle...

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    To whoever said it... no... $600 isn't really that normal for a high end card at launch. $600-700 for a high end DUAL GPU card at launch maybe...... but i'm pretty sure single GPU cards usually hit for around $400-500 mark, as the 580 and 480 did at launch.