Driver install blew my system?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Inspector999, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Inspector999

Inspector999 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 1GB Sli
    Hi All

I was installing the latest Nvidia beta drivers (290.53) a couple of days ago (system specs in profile) and during the install both of my monitors went black, the fans on the cpu and graphics cards went to maximum rpm, accompanied by a faint burning smell, a blue screen appeared with nvidia.sys mentioned and the computer shut down!:bang:

Since this incident the pc will not restart.... It starts for about 10 seconds, with all fans turning slowly and then shuts down, if I leave it the cycle just keeps repeating

I have tried both gpu cards and the PSU on another motherboard and this boots to the bios ok (no OS installed though)

Having carried out a number of checks / tests it seems that the motherboard, memory or cpu have failed and these have been returned to the supplier for testing. However, I am worried that this was somehow connected to the driver install - or do you guys think it is just a coincidence?

Any thoughts / advice would be appricated

Many Thanks

2. vrt684

vrt684 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 660 SC
    sounds like a coincidence to me is those the sc ee versions?

3. Fox102383

Fox102383 Guest

lol

Thats kinda weird i just updated to the same driver and here recently my computer shut off in one of my games, now it won't start and i got a faint smell of something burnt:3eyes:! I'm in the process of RMA-ing my mobo right now,The PSU has been checked and the ram also they check good and work properly,I don't have anymore boards to check the cpu on, so i guess i will have to wait and see if the cpu went also!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  4. Inspector999

Inspector999 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 1GB Sli
    Thanks for the reply - They are the EVGA GTX460 1GB Superclocked versions but not the ee spec

5. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I know I had issues with my Laptop with a 290 driver(not sure which one exactly) It would just black screen on me at random and my only option was to hard reboot. No damage done but I removed them pretty quick. After hearing about this I am glad I did.

6. Inspector999

Inspector999 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 1GB Sli
    Hmm - What happened to you sounds very similar to my situation. Although I didn't get to any gaming!! - It is just that the GPU fans suddenly ran very, very quickly during the install of the driver (I have never heard then run that fast) and then the blue screen appeared. As the 1st reply states it sounds like a conicidence, but would the GPUs drawing too much power fry the mobo?

7. Fox102383

Fox102383 Guest

I wouldn't think so! Heck i got a 850 watt power supply! should be more than enough! heck 750 should be enough even if the gpu decided to get power hungry! interesting thing is i wasn't putting the computer thru stress or anything heck the game was idle on main menu!

8. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    WTF, sue nVidia ,,, lets sign a petition.... Poor guy,,,,,, your video card blew up.. I thought stuff like this only happens on ATI drivers CCC hell,,, lol

9. Fox102383

Fox102383 Guest

lol

Lol nobody said anything about wanting to sue some company!:eek:c: We are just trying to talk about what happened to our hardware and figure out what might of went bad! lol

10. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    using same drivers in two systems and all running super. Drivers dont have a mind of their own so.. There could so many other reasons. Sorry for your troubles.

11. S†v0r

S†v0r Guest

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    At thread starter

Do you use any java applications? There might be some issues with this 290.53 and java.

570gtx 2.56gb SLI user
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2515078&postcount=18

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  12. Inspector999

Inspector999 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 1GB Sli
    Hi All

Thanks for the responses - I have a spare motherboard with a Q6600 (3000ghz) and 8GB DDR2 - I think I might try and run this for a couple of days in SLI with the latest drivers just to satisfy myself that the drivers did not cause the issue

I will let you know if I have any further issues - If I have the same problem I will be speaking to Nvidia!!

13. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    can be that cpu oc or core power that make the system going bad also at what clocks were those gtx 460 set core and voltage and the same thing to the cpu becouse with that oc with bad power control probably you damaged your mobo or cpu or even the slots but if the gpus are working fine one the other mobo somthing realy bad hapend to your mobo but of course its my opinion

14. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Might not be a coincidence. If you remember when Starcraft 2 came out Nvidia released a driver, can't remember which version, and it fried your GPU; they pulled it from their site pretty quick. Sounds to me, they may have done it again... And I thought AMD / Ati was bad for drivers.

15. Faks

Faks Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 560 Ti 2GB
    he forget to say what beeps sounds and what mother board he have ... seems this is causing more stir then all this useless chat ...
    what color looks cpu led lamp on pc case ... :nerd:

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I had a issue.. my aero shut off and then gpu usage went to 100% and temps went high and couple seconds later everything went back to normal

I dont know if this is same issue

17. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Guest

GPU:
    GTX470
    thats probably due to WinSAT (which gives the Windows Performance Index)kicking in..its scheduled to run once a week at about 1am..really ****s me when it kicks in whilst in the middle of doing somethin..
    find it under Computer Management -> Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Maintenance

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I thought that problem was because Starcraft II didn't limit the framerate on its loading and menu screens resulting in powerful systems running the game at ridiculously high framerates (2000 fps+) which in turn produced more heat and stress on the graphics card causing problems for people with hot cards and/or poorly ventilated cases? The fix was to limit the framerate in the game via an INI tweak if I recall and later patches did this too. I don't recall the issue being fixed by a graphics driver update but I accept I may be wrong.

You may be getting confused with the driver that NVIDIA released which broke the auto fan profile resulting in graphics cards overheating. Fortunately at that time I was using RivaTuner with a manual fan profile so I was unaffected by it.

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    uhm what

20. Wolfseven

Wolfseven Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI NGTX580 1.2gb
    more than likely a coincidence.

It just took that one incident to make it happen.
    Make the bios work in the mobo and Ram area to produce the failure sooner than later.

Your win, for you I suspect you will have new ram and mobo which ever turns out to be the issue.

or could of been the ram and mobo not compatible or timing setting with regards to Mobo and ram.