5870 Tri-fire Battlefield 3 issues.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Jcazz, Dec 12, 2011.

1. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Make sure that your PCI-E links are both running at full speed.

I know the slots are x16 long (physically), but you can sometimes be surprised to find out how some are configured.

Eg.
    My MSI x58 board puts the two fastest slots one slot apart from each other (meaning that your cards have to be stacked on top of each other).
    I had assumed that they were spaced 3 slots apart - like essentially ALL OTHER x58 motherboards, allowing for space between the cards.

-scheherazade

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. Matthew Simis

Matthew Simis Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    Missing my nVidia Surround setup

Anyone with a 1GB card, do not use traditional AA at high res. Use either FXAA or the better SMAA injector. Its a post process filter that looks better than lower end traditional AA and seems to load the GPU but not VRAM. Im using MSI Afterburner GPU mem monitor, can toggle SMAA on and off on the fly, memory usage was unaffected.

Get it here
    http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

People really really need to keep spreading this via word of mouth, its a vastly better option. If you have a 2GB card, you can combine this plus traditional AA for a double win.

PS: The Post Filter AA in the BF3 settings is FXAA (or similar) but its absolutely pants. Its blurred and rubbish. The standalone FXAA injector is much better but it blurs text/2d slightly. SMAA does not do this and it looks better all round anyhow. I use it in everygame, if it has AA options or not, on its ULTRA profile.

2550x1600 (4.08m pixels) is a lot lower res (pixel count) than 5760x1080 (6.22m pixels). What do you mean that Eyefinity 5760x1080 is not the same as "pure" 5760x1080? Pixels are pixels, its exactly the same. What is "pure" anyway?

I ran both Matrox Triplehead2Go and nVidia Surround on 3 monitors. Triplehead2Go appears to Windows/OS as a single 5040x1050 monitor, its not a "scaled" or combined setup. However both nVidia surround (/Eyefinity surely) and Triplehead2Go arrive at exactly the same 5.29m pixels.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  3. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    5970+5850, running at 1920x1200. Have to turn a few options down/off or run out of vram. Get MSI AB if you don't have it already and monitor vram usage. It's the Achilles heal of our setups.

With most things on ultra and running vsync, game pay is very smooth, visuals look great.

4. PhatBastard

PhatBastard Guest

GPU:
    3 XFX 5870 XXX Editions
    Same Issue

Yeah I get the same issues it seems. I have i7 920 oc'd to 3.8 and 3 XFX 5870XXX editions in trifire. I get hang ups and stuttering. I can play with everything on ultra and AA turned off pretty good but still get some slowdowns. I generally play on everything set all to high with no AA and stay around 100fps.
    IMO the cpu cant handle the extra power of 3 cards. Hopefully AMD gets a new driver version to help the issue. I read lots of other forums about how disabling hyper-threading in the bios, helps with stuttering in BF3. So I disabled HT and it seemed to make a big difference to me. Maybe you can mess around with that and see what you get. I'm thinking of buying a i7 990x six-core proc. before Intel gives the 1366 socket das boot.

5. rone

rone Member Guru

Better look at [H] Performance and IQ Review. Got to disable AA and set texture to High, then all other settings can be seet to Ultra. Some memory leak is populating GPUs VRAM.
    PS.
    6gigs system RAM are not enough for BF3. Memory leak there too.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    Hate to say this, but you may want to do a reformat... I had the same issues with 3 5830's and running in eyefinity. Couldnt get over 30-40 fps. Read another post here ab out a possible reformat fix, so I took a chance and did it. Problem was RESOLVED. Can run 5760x1200 bez comp'd @ 60+ fps. 1920x1200 @ 120-180 fps.... Dont know what the deal was, but the reformat fixed my multi-card fps issues....