Asus Matrix 580-Corsair H70 mod for cooling

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cravinmild, Dec 20, 2011.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    This just makes me love the fact that I got an Accelero Xtreme Plus for my super hot GTX480 (reference). With the stock cooler @ stock clocks/volts it was maxing out at 68-75c after a couple of hours of furmark bench. With the Xtreme Plus it is happy running idle right now at 28c, and maxing out at 55c full load after 1 hours of furmark @ 850/1700/2000 with 1.1vddc

This mods looks shabby, and the H70 costs more than the Xtreme Plus also which I got on sale for £35 plus free shipping plus the VR004 kit as well :)

Without a doubt one of, if not the, best thing I have ever brought for my PC plus its super quiet with the fans running @ 12v.

EDIT:

I would not like to run any current graphics card over 1GHz clock speed at ANY kind of voltages, that to me just wouldn't feel safe even with a fully water cooled system. The up and coming HD7970 (if rumours are to be believed) then I could warrant something like this :p

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    did you do this mod to run the 560 as a physics card. is it because the card would not fit next to that 580 with the stock fan?

3. cravinmild

cravinmild Member

GPU:
    Asus/Matrix "P"/1.5g
    @ Agent-A01, I will ammend the original post, My intention is not to have people think this mod is going to allow you to run some crazy super oc. My ammendment will address that fact. I have heard your concerns and i understand what you are saying. I was offended but life is too short and I hold no ill will towards your comments. I hope this clears this up and we are able to move forward now.

@tommyk2005, I do not have the card (560ti) in my computer anymore, i needed the H70 to run on my 580, the 560 is in a box in my shed now, its unused at the moment. I have read much on physX and most would say that the 580 is more than capable of performing the calculations for physX on its own. In alot of cases the fps will be lowered as the 580 waits for the slower 560ti to perform those calculations. The pic of the 580 and 560ti together in the case was purely for taking that shot, it was removed right afterwards and boxed.

@CPC_RedDawn, the Accelero Xtreme Plus is a well regarded cooler, well loved by all who use it. Its cooling ablilitys are right up there with this mod and it does make contact with the vram for extra cooling. The mod (cant think of a better name for it) does not contact vram but that does not seem to affect performance and from what i have monitored, vram heat is the same as before, no hotter but it can get colder with the stock shroud and fans attached. It is getto looking lol, the pump is attached using zipstraps, zipstraps are the tucktape of the pc world. Myself when looking at the 560ti mod would be hardpressed to see getto in its design, it was a very sexxy card aftermodding, also my matrix looks no different than stock. I kept the stock shroud and those fat waterlines coming out are pretty beasty imo. Others have modded their cards in ways that are functional to their cases and not all have been able to keep their shrouds intack. The Accelero is a finished product, its marketed and sold, it needs to have a....more refined look inorder to be sellable, the mod is not retail and as such does not need that same refined look. I do understand what your saying though.

I also dont oc my card, its stock with the oc that came with it. My day to day needs do not require me to oc, my need for gpu horsepower are higher than what could be offered by even a 1000core. I game in 3d, a single card even oced is not going to give me the fps i need to game smoothly in 3d at the highest settings. I see no need to oc because of this. When i oc my card its for fun, to compete with others in benchmarks and bragging rights. I plan on getting another 580 because of this. The gains i get from this mod is silence and an extreamly cool running card. I can at times have 18c start up temps (i do have screen shots to prove it) my fans run 1000rpm on the rad fans and 20% on the shroud fans at all times for reg use. I hear the fan on my ram and my psu fan, i never hear my gpu.

Vram temps are what most ask about and their concern towards them frying. I cant say that they wont but i also cant say that they will. I have yet to get any difinitive answer from any gpu maker on what max heat threashold is on vram. Gskill has mentioned that their system ram is rated for about 130c, its not vram but ram is ram, it resides on the same type of pcb, i see no reason to think that temps could be that far off in respect to threashold temps...still nothing concrete and thats just my thinking. My vram peaks at 76c, most times its at 50ish or much lower when idle. No one has fried their vram and combined it would be safe to say there are several thousand hours logged all together on these mods. Its really such a new idea no one has build a data base to go off of. Im not worried at this point, my card is over $600 when taxes and shipping are included. I more than anyone should be worried but im confident vram heat is not an issue. Guess only time will tell, my time and the time of others who have done it

I hope that clears up some of the questions asked and answered questions that have not been asked. Fact is this is a mod and as neat as it is still comes with the warning that modding can affect the life of your card.

Thanks for all the comments thus far, i hope this thread continues and youve found some entertainment from it

Thanks all
    cravinmild

4. snowdweller

snowdweller Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    Thank you Cravin for showing the forum the option they can do something different with their rig :) I personally won't do it as my VGA's are $1000 and won't actually fit in my case!

5. gpvecchi

gpvecchi Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme
    Thanks, but tommyk2005 was talking of VRM (voltage regulator) not vram.
    That's the same it worries me, as this get much hotter than rams. It's the chip under the small black heatsink in 580 DCII. I read elsewhere that 110° should be the point of degrading performance...

6. cravinmild

cravinmild Member

GPU:
    Asus/Matrix "P"/1.5g
    Ok let me see if i can clarify better in regards to components heating up on the pcb using this mod, ive pulled some pics from the ROG forums and a few of my own during the build. Ill do my best to explain how this mod changes nothing as far as how temps will be altered from what you get from stock cooling.

This mod will infact allow better cooling to the pcb if you are to retain the stock fans and only replace the heatsink for the die. This first shot is of the pcb naked, no heatsinks for pcb or die. It shows all 19 vrm, (many more vrm than stock 580s have) I know thats off topic, means nothing to you reference users looking to do this mod, just me talking here...just stay with me here, i do have a point to make lol
    [​IMG]
    PICT1082 by cravinmild, on Flickr

and with the heatsink covering the vrm
    [​IMG]
    PICT1078 by cravinmild, on Flickr
    (both top pics supplied by ROG)

The Stock heatsink for the die will cover this vrm section BUT WILL NEVER MAKE CONTACT with it. The heatsink for the die does not cool the vrm by physical contact. The vrm heatsink is cooled by dual 90mm fans attached to the shroud. Air needs to fight through the heatsink fins to cool this section of the card. Without the heatsind for the die air is blown directly on this section. Not only for my style card but for the others cards who have also done this mod. Some have a blower style fan in the middle of the vrm section,
    [​IMG]
    dsc00576fn by cravinmild, on Flickr
    (rage19420 480gtx in sli with mod)
    this has the same affect as my two 90mm blowing down on the pcb. Others have removed the cards stock fans completely and rely on case fans blowing at or in the general direction of the gpu or vrm section of their cards.
    [​IMG]
    img8836eh by cravinmild, on Flickr
    (angle8888 560ti)

My 560ti had no air flow at all to this section of the pcb.
    [​IMG]
    _IGP9528 by cravinmild, on Flickr
    It also had a shroud to further restrict any airflow it may have gotten from the case fans. I did have the rad fans blowing directly upwards a few inches from the back of the card though.

I dont know if i ever posted this pic, anyways it shows the guts removed from card and just the shroud and pcb. With no heatsink in the way air can be blown directly down onto the pcb. This air is also not heated as it would have been fighting its way though the hot heatsink fins before reaching the vrm section of the pcb.
    [​IMG]
    IMGP9986 by cravinmild, on Flickr

I dont have temp sensers on the vrm section or vram section. I do have temp sensors for my fan controller, 6 infact, ill place them about the pcb. On vram, vrm, whatever else...make some suggestions and ill put them there also.

This shot here
    [​IMG]
    IMGP9983 by cravinmild, on Flickr
    is of the 90mm fan directly over where the H70 pump will sit, its not there right now, i wanted some shots that showed clear down to the pcb. The next fan back will be over the vrm section covered by another heatsink (seen in top pic), this fan will blow unrestricted air right onto that heatsink. Once again not all the others who have done this mod can say their cards are cooled the same, vrm specificly. There has been no issues so far, thats to say card wont be lost at some point, but as of yet most have done some healthy overclocks and raised voltage to keep them stable, none have reported issues as yet.

Once again here is another great shot of the heatsink for the die.
    [​IMG]
    IMGP9977 by cravinmild, on Flickr
    The fans really have to be spinning to keep the card cool. My card and from what i understand no other cards stock heatsinks contact vrm or any other part of the pcb for that matter which would aid cooling. This would suggest that there is no loss to cooling. It does show how in theory that air flow is increased to the pcb which will increase cooling of those important sections.

VRM, Vram, any part of the pcb/components will be aided imo in cooling if the stock heatsink is removed AND air is blown on to the pcb. Some cards can retain the stock fans nagating the need for a seporate fan blowing on the card (without the shroud of course).

Its late, im tired. I hope that ive not worsend the matter and posted nonsense, i hope that ive shown how the mod does not hamper cooling of important gpu components.

7. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    nice mod but i don't see the point of it when there are cheaper and better air solutions like the arctic cooling accelero or the thermalright shaman

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    True, my 580 hits 61c with high OC at 1ghz with accelero

9. cravinmild

cravinmild Member

GPU:
    Asus/Matrix "P"/1.5g
    my card hits 48c highs and 18c low. My card is also non referance so it will not accept other cooler soloutions. This point and the fact that my H70 was not used (upgraded to H100) at the time was the point. It was free for me. Lots of Antac 620s can be had for as low as $49 on sale.

Plus its fun, different and just as cheap, works on cards that other cooling solutions will not work on. If anyone would like to try an experiment, ill clock my card against any other card, stock and oc and with other cooling solutions, dont think i can match true watercooling but just for the cause ill do it anyways. Lows temps are nice but it would be good to see how the mod will hold up against other cooling solutions and hold the high temps down.