Battlefield 3 - Terrible FPS on Low

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Staminix, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Staminix

Staminix Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 OC TF III
    Hey there guys, this is my first post, and I'm pretty sure this is the right thread since the Game section is mainly filled with news.

Anyway here's my problem.

I'm pretty much getting some down right awful performance in BF3. I get around 40/50fps on low and it will NOT stop stuttering whenever I move about. Getting out of a tank? Stutter. Turning around? Stutter. Shooting at enemy? Stutter.

The FPS also tends to dip pretty badly at awkward parts. For example, I would just run towards an enemy base, and my fps would go from 39 to 25...and then back to 39 again.

Don't get me started on 64 man servers. It's pretty much guaranteed for un-playability.

Anyway, I've reinstalled my drivers several billion times, using new ones, old ones, driver sweeper, or just a clean install.

Most games tend to end in a cluster**** of shouting and slamming my desk with occasional tearing up because of the rage.

So yeah, any suggestions are MORE than welcomed. Seriously, anything, I'll do it.

EDIT: Tomorrow I'll be doing a clean install of Win 7 in an effort to exclude that out of the equation.

2. MiLk*iT

MiLk*iT Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 WINDFORCE
  3. Staminix

Staminix Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 OC TF III
  4. MiLk*iT

MiLk*iT Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 WINDFORCE
    Wow still problematic. Ok lets try going into the Bios and disabling spread spectrum control for the CPU and GPU.

You may also want to turn off the overclock and test it like that as well.

Furthermore load up Aida64 and make sure your 570 GTX is running @16X.

BTW have you tested other games and are they working normally?

Oh and use Aida64 to check your CPU and GPU usage in BF3.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

5. MiLk*iT

MiLk*iT Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 WINDFORCE
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  6. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Check the easy way your GPU usage ingame with MSI afterburner. You should be able to play at least on high with your setup at 1080p.

And yes. 8 Gigs is a must forr this game MP.

7. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Grab the 285.62 WHQL drivers, they are the best for BF3 for me. I've found the newer beta drivers are worse for BF3 and get constant stuttering and drops to 20-30fps.

Also the other other things I can think of is your CPU, might be a bit underpowered for the game. I dropped my CPU speed down to stock speeds 2.8Ghz to kinda approximately match your Q6600 @ 3Ghz. 64 player matches were unplayable as you mentioned, but I could do 32 decently at ~35-40fps on Ultra with AA & AO disabled.

Have you by chance checked your GPU usage during the game with MSI Afterburner? I'd guess your CPU limited and your GPU is probably pretty low.

8. MiLk*iT

MiLk*iT Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 WINDFORCE
    Yep and you might want to check your Max GPU temp here too:)

9. Kingme24

Kingme24 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850 @775/1125
    I have the Q6600, and i'm getting better results so there is definitely something off.

Have you checked your overclock for stability? I was trying to run at 3.4ghz and I got all sorts of stutter. I backed it down to 3.2ghz, and tested prime stable and it all went away.

Perhaps during heavy load you're getting vdroop, and it's making your CPU stutter for just a second.

Check the in game performance graph for any anomolies, I think the command is:
    render.perfoverlayenable 1

Maybe we can pinpoint if it's CPU or GPU related.

10. Staminix

Staminix Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 OC TF III
    Allright guys, thank you soo much for all the help, and I really didn't expect so much of it.

Anyway, after a good 2 hours of playing it on High without any AA/AF or HBAO, I've noticed that when it stutters, both the CPU and GPU pretty much spike at the same time. So I guess that doesn't really pinpoint anything in particular.

Another thing I've noticed is that only 50/60% of my GPU is actually being used while playing...No idea how to fix this.

And the temps are fine as well. They never went over 60c.

Now, to the overclocking. I have little to no idea how to overclock. I basically done a very easy boost to 3ghz by changing the frequency to 333 and keeping the voltage at auto and I think changing it later on to 1.3v. It's working fine with no BSOD or any crashes. When it comes to RAM, I have no idea what I'm doing. According to Everest my DRAM:FSB Ratio is 12:8. Which I assume is bad? I think I've been using these settings for a year now, but I've lately started messing with it and may have changed some things by mistake. Yeah, I'm not exactly advertising myself too well now ;)

Other games seem to be running reasonably well, although there is strange mild stuttering in (0.5second stutter every few minutes) CSS and not getting huge fps in Skyrim either (30-40fps at high).

Anyway, yeah, there's some info. Can anyone even remotely capable (unlike me by the looks of it) tell me what I should do next?

EDIT: 4 extra GB of RAM should be arriving any second now.

EDIT2: Again, wanted to say I really appreciate all this help guys. Much love.

11. MiLk*iT

MiLk*iT Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 WINDFORCE
    Did you check for video Bios updates?

MSI Live update 5, at the bottom.

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N570GTX-Twin-Frozr-II-OC.html#/?div=Utility&os=Win7 32

Oops Use this link Sry
    http://us.msi.com/product/vga/N570GTX-Twin-Frozr-II-OC.html#?div=BIOS

12. Staminix

Staminix Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 570 OC TF III
  13. MiLk*iT

MiLk*iT Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 WINDFORCE
    Looks like the forum has run out of quick fix solutions for you. It might me time to check your hardware via, prime98 and memtest. Have you checked your max cpu temps as well. I used to have a Q6600 @ 3ghz and it got very hot. You could be throttling due to high temps. I believe I had a zalman orb cooler on mine. Try taking the overclock down to 2.8Ghz and testing it.

Prime98
    http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

Memtest86
    http://www.memtest.org/

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Have you reinstalled windows yet? if not i have a few suggestions before you do that.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    A lot of people experience stutter after the latest patch from what I've read...

16. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    yeah, I heard that too, unfortunately we are forced to update, which I disagree with, I only play SP but I have to get the patch which is 99% MP.

Hard to pinpoint the cause, but given the checks you have done I would say the reinstallation of Win7 is a good idea. Or, in MSconfig, if you have selective startup change it back to normal, I upgraded to an X6 from an X4 and Win7 was not seeing all my cores until I dropped back to Normal.

17. Kingme24

Kingme24 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850 @775/1125
    If you haven't already, enable vsync in game and then type this command in the conolse "~ key":

gametime.maxvariablefps 60

Even with vsync already enabled, this made my experience much smoother. I honestly can't say i've had any stutter with the new patch.

I use most settings on Ultra. Because of VRAM limitations use High for Texture Quality. For Shadow Quality and Mesh Quality, I use low to keep my framerate at a constant 60 all the time. AA deferred is set to 2x MSAA, AA Post High, AF 16x, Ambient Occlusion HBAO.

I'm at a resolution of 1680x1050, and you have a stronger GPU so I'd expect you could even up your settings a bit.

If you are using AUTO for your overclock i'd suspect it's stable, as i've found it gives you plenty more volts than needed. However, testing it with prime98 is never a bad idea. I don't like to see my CPU get over 60C at full load, and 3.2ghz seems to be my sweet spot.

EDIT: I noticed you mentioned you're only at 60% GPU usage, that seems pretty low, almost like your CPU bottlenecked. I find that strange as i'm seeing almost 99% usage on my XFX 5850 with the same CPU.

Also going up to 8GB of RAM seems to have fixed issues for some people with BF3. The game seems to like more RAM, even BF2 always seemed to hog it up :)

18. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    really? I'll have to finish downloading the patch and check that then on mine, cos I'm sure none of my 6 cores are being hammered either, unless that is because the slightly older Qs do, interesting.

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Guys i do have same issue kinda. my GPU is 99% and cpu around 90-95%, i can play most maps with 32 players on high with 45-70FPS, but 64 player on caspian border and all new B2K maps(besides Wake) i get very low FPS like 35-45, so i have to turn everything to low to play normal(mouse does not feel smooth on low fps).

Is this normal? do i need more ram? Core I5? GTX 580? :) thx

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You need i5 2500k ;)