5850 flicker issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by AUTOgod, Dec 11, 2011.

1. AUTOgod

AUTOgod Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DirectCU
    hi guys.

as the title really.

i started using 3 screens on my 5850 recently, and with even a 1mhz overclock, everything goes to hell.

this video shall explain.
    cant get embedding to work, so heres a link:
    http://youtu.be/snFPpkFMVcQ

just wondering if there is a hardware issue.

thing being, i love the card, and it overclocks like a bugger, games run perfectly at 900mhz core, 1150 mem.

but the desktops flickers everytime the clocks change, or something moves across the screen.

if i do need to return this card, has anybody heard of any issues with the 6xxx series along these lines?

thanks for any help.

EDIT:
    it has started happening, albeit somewhat reduced, even with amd overdrive completely disabled.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. AUTOgod

AUTOgod Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DirectCU
  3. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    Let me guess,

You're main monitor is plugged via HDMI and the rest are using the DVI ports?
    If that's the case, tough luck. You can't fix it. I noticed newer and newer cards do not like Analogue signals and will flicker/wave/tear the images.

Had the same problem when I bought my HD6850 and was using my old Asus monitor. Had to buy a HDMI monitor for the problem to go away.

4. AUTOgod

AUTOgod Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DirectCU
    one hdmi to dvi-d, one dvi ot vga, and one active display port to dvi-d.

and good luck using an hdmi and 2 dvis, since most 5xxx and 6xxx cards require at least one display to use diaplayport.

5. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm just saying you won't be able to get a propper working config because some cards do not like analogue signals, because using an adapter to switch VGA to DVI isn't the same as having a HDMI.

And my 6850 has 1 HDMI and 2 DVI + 1 DP so I don't have any issues having monitors plugged via HDMI or DVI together.

6. AUTOgod

AUTOgod Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5850 DirectCU
    same trouble with no analogue. happens with one active dp to dvi-d and an hdmi.

and you need display port for every extra screen over the basic 2.

7. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Odd then.

8. Final8ty

Final8ty Master Guru

GPU:
    2x5970 Toxic 4GB 900/1200
    This is a driver issue on the 5xxx which started after CAT 10.10, in fact CAT 10.10e is the last driver without that problem.

If you use extended desktop mode and overclock the GPU then you will get the flickering and tearing, the problem goes away in EyEfinity mode.

It seems that none of the official AMD beta testers use 5xxx cards in extended mode and most likely have their desktop running in Eyefinity mode thus why it's never been addressed since the problems introduction.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011