HD 7000 Series Specs Leaked

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by pokerapar88, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    why's it 80%?

6990 is only about 50-60% faster than 580 @ 2560x1600

2. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    Its the internet, you should only actually ban people if they insult or keep refusing to behave.

"i think"

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I think people are being way too optimistic with predictions of 100% (or more) faster than a 6970 tbh.

No doubt we will find out soon enough.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. cold2010

cold2010 Member Guru

GPU:
    HD 4870

5. Pill Monsters "assume" comment must have been misinterpreted surely - he's a good guy, very knowledgeable and always helping people out actively on these forums. I could maybe accept him getting like an infringement or something but a straight out banning? We are dropping like flies people!

Anyway, i don't want to get banned so back on topic ..

the 7 series are out! ;) that is the rebranded 6 series mobility versions...
    http://www.techpowerup.com/156390/AMD-Radeon-HD-7400M-HD-7500M-and-HD-7600M-Released.html

I'd love to see 100% increase over 6970/580 in terms of the 7970 but like a few have said, i'm thinking that's a little too optimistic. i'd rather expect 25-30% over previous gen and anything else is a bonus.

If it all pays off then think of it as...i dunno?...surprise buttsecks?

6. Pill Monsters "assume" comment must have been misinterpreted surely - he's a good guy, very knowledgeable and always helping people out actively on these forums. I could maybe accept him getting like an infringement or something but a straight out banning? We are dropping like flies people!

Anyway, i don't want to get banned so back on topic ..

the 7 series are out! ;) that is the rebranded 6 series mobility versions...
    http://www.techpowerup.com/156390/AMD-Radeon-HD-7400M-HD-7500M-and-HD-7600M-Released.html

I'd love to see 100% increase over 6970/580 in terms of the 7970 but like a few have said, i'm thinking that's a little too optimistic. i'd rather expect 25-30% over previous gen and anything else is a bonus.

If it all pays off then think of it as...i dunno?...surprise buttsecks?

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Talking about assumptions, I don't mean to be out of place with the following one :)

When new GPU's are released, the drivers available for those GPU's on release can usually be approved on 'significantly' (10+ percent?), especially in regards to certain games.

The last few 'generations' of AMD cards have all been based around the same technology/architecture, just successive improvements on the design. Assumingly this will result in each successive generation to already have a 'higher' level of optimisation.

Since the HD79xx series are based around a new architecture, its not unreasonable to suggest that upon release there may be a fair bit of headroom in terms of driver performance gains. GPU's are usually heavily tested upon release, then only new, non-reference designs mayy see benchmarking thereafter. If the assumption/prediction of driver optimisation turns out to be true, its quite likely the release benchmarks won't show the true potential of the GPU, and instead only show the potential of the GPU at the time of release.

That said, its also quite possible the drivers have already been undergoing heavy optimisation for the HD79xx release, in which case the above, although still likely to be a valid point, won't be as significant as one may initially suspect :)

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Pill is back. Let's stick to the 7000 specs.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I agree.

If it's really 190W,

120% of gtx 580 will be VERY hard to reach.

I dont think GCN will be winning perf/W awards like Evergreen

PS
    cant believe so many ppl still cant give up 6990 perf dream, not just here but in general:pipe:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  10. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    100% would be 0 my friends, you should say 200% the performance of a 6970, and to be a bit more accurate things show 160% of its power at least... I really don't believe it will reach the performance of a 6990 which has 4gb of ram, at higher resolutions that would win for sure. Anyway it will be anice upgrade !

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Chaps, Pill's account got banned by accident, nothing to it.
    A mod tried to kill some spam and accidentally tagged his accout or something.

His account was restored of course.

12. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Good to know, Pill Monster is a great guy, I really thought that banning him was absurd and it had to be a mistake

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Thanks for the concern everyone, yeah it was completely unintentional...

As punishment the offending mod will of course receive the usual 10 lashes and then sent straight to bed without any milk or cookies.. :D

OT - I heard a rumour the new high end cards may have 384bit memory bus...?

14. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    The part of the punishment that goes without milk and cookies to bed for me, is a bit harsh, specially if the cookies are OreosĀ®

15. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    I think you should have left him banned. Make him sweat for a while - cold turkey with no G3D to post on lol

Looking at raw shader power, the HD 6990 has a total of 3072 shader processors (albeit 2x1536, with xfire and driver overheads etc).

The HD 7970 is touted to have 2048 shader cores, of an improved design, and no driver / xfire overheads to speak of, so to be fair, similar to 6990 performance is not that hard to imagine (when talking raw shader power).

No doubt and improved render back end consisting of 64 ROP's (same as 6990) and 128 TMU's (6990 has 192) gives it at least similar performance on that side of things.

It also has a stock clock speed advantage (allegedly 1GZ, v 830Mhz for 6990).

Obviously, its all speculation, but 7900 series looks very good indeed.

16. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    [​IMG]

384-bit bus finally!

17. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    384bit - 3GB.

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Anyone rekon, even though they are on a much smaller 28nm process, the cards are still going to be about 12 inches long :D :D

19. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Well considering only the GPU will be made on 28nm process, not the circuit board or power circuitry, yes, it definitely will :p

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

^plus the increase in transistor count.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.