Batman Arkham City

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by illdrag0n, Aug 30, 2010.

1. andressergio

andressergio Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1080Ti HOF SLI

yeah it rocks !

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  3. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    this building has full of win - lol kidding full of tesssellation(waste of thousands triangles) at least game uses adaptive tessellation there are no performance problems as long as you do not zoom to walls..

this was 12 fps
    [​IMG]

these were fine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    There are shadow issues with those 'tweaks' posted by Quest :camo:

But hey maybe your Nvidia has different rendering path, I dunno...

@Mfa use direct abload link ffs

/mumbles incoherently then goes away

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970

6. Rob_Wolfe

Rob_Wolfe Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX-260-216 SLI
    Man those tessellation shots look terrible. With texture rez that low, is there really a point? Anyway, after reading the [H] review, it's pretty clear that this is yet another console port, not the "PC is the lead platform" like Rocksteady claimed. Another game where the DX11 features are nothing but a marketing tick box. Didn't Rocksteady talk about higher resolution textures for the PC? :3eyes: Bah, like many have said before, until the next gen consoles are released, PC games won't be advancing much. I was planning on upgrading my GPUs with Kepler but if we keep getting this, I think I'll just be content with what I have.

Fortunately, AC's got what really counts (the gameplay) and looks amazing enough due to the art style so it's still a great game; it's just not pushing any technical boundries.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't think Rocksteady ever claimed that the PC was the lead platform, but just said that it wouldn't be a straight port.

The textures are higher resolution than the console ones, i've compared and some alot better looking, but no game, even PC exclusives have high resolution textures for 100% of the game, Serious Sam 3 is a good recent example of that.

8. Rob_Wolfe

Rob_Wolfe Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX-260-216 SLI
    Okay, perhaps the correct words were that the PC was to be "by far the definitive version". It's certainly the better version than the consoles so I guess one could use the word definitive...I guess. *thinks of Homer when he visits Australia and orders the worlds largest beer*.

Really, the console textures are worse? I guess after Witcher 2 and other PC games/mods, I'm acting like a spoiled child. Anyway, no big deal really, like I said the game is amazing. The art style really captures the Batman universe, or at least how I imagine it to be.

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Why would you say it's a waste? The whole point of tessellation is to increase detail on objects and give them more geometry.

It's funny how PC gamers talk about how not enough games use DX11, but when they do, the next thing you hear is, "Oh this game uses too much tessellation," and what not.

Usually it's AMD users that complain about tessellation, since their video cards are much slower than Nvidia's in that respect.

The PC textures are of a much higher resolution than the console, and ambient occlusion is disabled as well. There is no way anyone can say Batman Arkham City PC is a console port, as the PC version looks substantially better than the console port; and supports PC specific features as well.

Also, MfA evidently used tessellation at the normal setting in his screenshots. If you use High setting, it looks a lot better:

[​IMG]

At any rate, you're not going to be playing right up against a wall in the game. The wall looks great when viewed from a normal gameplay angle, like this:

[​IMG]

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    They may not be the highest resolution, but stones like that don't have too much important detail in them anyways in real life. Looks fine to me, with such big environments to render you have to make a cut somewhere.

11. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    God knows this is what i want in Batman3: a big LibertyGotham City oh yes. And steerable Bat-vehicles. Imagine jumping from your Batwing and infiltrate crime scenes from the rooftops. Awesomeness.

12. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    yeah, that's exactly what i don't want...

13. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I wouldn't mind if they did introduce scenarios with some of the bat-vehicles :p Would be fun.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well since the commodore64 version already had it, it shouldnt be too difficult i think :p

15. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Hah. That was ... DirectX 0.0001 right?

16. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    yeah 256 pixels per triangle seems really really optimized and not waste esp for a wall :rolleyes:

also no you are wrong, i am using tessellation @ high along with other settings..

17. newgamer

newgamer Member

GPU:
    Ati 4870X2 1Gb
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  18. Rob_Wolfe

Rob_Wolfe Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX-260-216 SLI
    Oh I agree that the PC version looks better than the console versions (even under DX9), but the fact that there are no in-game graphic options, nor any way to change keyboard binds without exiting and then using a launcher screams port to me. Then there's G4WL which honestly has no place in a PC game; its sole purpose is to tie into an Xbox Live Gamerscore.

Like I said, amazing game but to say it's not a port....? As for the PC specific features, let's see what the [H] review said:

"This is one of a small handful of games that uses Tessellation to improve the quality of the environment, and not just character quality. We want and hope for more games to use Tessellation to improve the environment. We looked all over the city, but just couldn't find any clear use of tessellation outside of Ivy's lair.

HBAO is of limited usefulness as well. Compared to standard SSAO, it creates higher contrast shadows, and it enhances the skybox somewhat. It's an improvement, but a subtle one. MVSS is a lot more obvious, but again is also limited in its scope. Character shadows look nicer, but buildings and landscape objects use pre-rendered shadow maps, so those shadows are unaffected.

While DirectX 11 support is nice, it offers only marginal image quality improvements with an extremely high performance price tag. When the game is fixed, it might be more compelling. For now, though, it's just not worth it."

Doesn't exactly sound like a from-the-ground-up PC game, more like DX11 features tacked on late in the development cycle. Not only that, 2 weeks after launch and DX11 isn't even playable unless you use a leaked, unofficial patch.

I hate to sound harsh, but I'm not on their payroll so feel no need to apologize for WB/Rocksteady. The delayed PC launch with them indicating that it was to add polish, when we know for a fact that the final build was locked down in late September and that PC disks were shipped to retailers at the same time as the console versions. Then there's the borked launch with a game that's broken for 100% of players under DX11 and even more that are experiencing a myriad of issues under DX9. That and the Steam version gets both Securom with 5 activations and G4WL? :flame2:

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That was posted 1/12/2011 with the patch supposedly being ready for the weekend or, failing that, early this week. It is now Tuesday so let's hope it is imminent as despite having the leaked version installed I'm reluctant to play the game any further until the patch has been officially released.

And here are the notes taken from that link:

"Change List

DirectX 11 Performance Enhancements, stuttering and lag issues reported while playing in DirectX11 mode has been resolved.

Blurry textures have been fixed

Benchmark does not automatically end, user is able to press a key to exit the benchmark at their choice on the results screen

Misc bug fixes where some scripts did not kick in for certain users under certain circumstances."

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i'm reading through that thread now, a new Extreme option has been added, though apparently it's not a huge difference.

Rob_Wolfe it's clear the game did need to be delayed to add polish, but it should of been delayed 2 months instead of the one, but for those who were happy enough with it in DX9, then maybe it should of been released in October, with a DX11/PhysX patch at a later date, but i think the delay was more to do with Nvidia than Rocksteady.

Now i just need to find a way to fix GFWL before the official patch arrives, it was me who broke it in the first place, but still never thought when i deleted all the Live Messenger crap that it would stop me using GFWL.