Aspartame... Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Repo Man, Dec 2, 2011.

?

Is aspartame evil ?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Aspartame is evil, yes. But in my opinion I'd rather drink a regular soda over a diet one with this crap in it, as I hate the taste it gives soda (and other stuff they put it in), never mind the health risks.

2. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    no offense intended mang but that mindset is not only ignorant but dangerous as well. anyone who knows about the chemical composition and metabolization of the stuff is scared away from it forever. first poster wasnt even kidding when he said its worse than poison.

if youre going to drink diet sodas, at least drink ones sweetened with sucralose. its an artificial sweetener thats derived from sugar (but isnt full of empty calories like HFCS), it doesnt taste funny, and its a lot better for you...then again no soda is good for you...you guys know drinking that **** actually dehydrates you, right?

3. ReLaps3

ReLaps3 Banned

GPU:
    XFX HD5770 1gig ddr5
    I drink vodka and I have a high gag reflex and I cant do straight vodka cuz Ill gag...I mix my vodka with seltzer water and lime and to me its just perfect.

4. ReLaps3

ReLaps3 Banned

GPU:
    XFX HD5770 1gig ddr5
    I drink vodka and I have a high gag reflex and I cant do straight vodka cuz Ill gag...I mix my vodka with seltzer water and lime and to me its just perfect.

Yes Aspartame is a poison, I dont get why its approved for every diet soda and candy out there, sugarless gum is all aspartame....I guess Monsanto must have a ton of FDA execs and politicians its its pockets!!!

5. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    how it's been approved ? donald rumsfeld was the head of the FDA when it finally passed, after many deny from them.

funny isn't it ? now i let you discover yourself the link between this guy, the bush familly, and monsanto. and you'll get your answer

little clue : MOOONNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEYYYYYY

6. ReLaps3

ReLaps3 Banned

GPU:
    XFX HD5770 1gig ddr5
    Ahh yes I had forgotten about Rumsfeld....Im sure he has tons of stock in Monsanto.

nm+ is now gonna send me an infraction

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  7. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Done much reading on this subject and I wont touch the stuff with a barge pole. Just lots of water and copious amount of alcohol for me ;)

My girlfriend drinks diet drinks all the time, I keep trying to tell her to stop and that they don't make her lose weight and "might" cause cancer, tumours or whatever but she wont listen. Her loss.

8. ReLaps3

ReLaps3 Banned

GPU:
    XFX HD5770 1gig ddr5
    Losing weight in some odd form seems to be more important than cancer...I have also met ppl who believe that because it says diet on the label it will help them lose weight and dont care about the side effects.

9. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Never ending battle, some people just have been brainwashed so bad that drinking the most natural substance, water. For them is revolting.

If she insists for me to buy her soft drinks I try make sure it is Sucralose at least. Hell knows if it is any better but I wont knowingly buy aspartame.

And then she turns around and says I don't care.. sure. Women... we care more then they could ever imagine.

10. ReLaps3

ReLaps3 Banned

GPU:
    XFX HD5770 1gig ddr5
    Water, even with its lack of taste, tastes so much better than diet soda..well IMO. A while back I was trying to tell a co worker of mine that the aspartame in his diet coke was really bad for him...he listened and then went to cokes website and read up on the studies that the soda companies had made and they concluded that it was harmless, I said...REALLY you went on a biased website sponsored by coke and read up on it...

He drinks diet coke like its going out of style....so I just went MEH...

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Thing with aspartame etc is they so super sweet only tiny amounts are necessary. Even those artificial sugar tab things that people buy, most of that isn't the sweetner, its a medium to simulate a 'teaspoon' thats not too small. If you use enough that you start actually impacting health then you're probably using very excessive amounts!

Cancer-causing is a little bit of a iffy term, since in most cases (if not all) its cell damage that occurs due to the issue. To put it in simple terms, this allows for viruses to corrupt the DNA and that is what actually causes the cancer. Its the very reason why there is a vaccine for cervical cancer (caused by human papillomavirus). The vaccine isn't for the cancer, its against the virus!

Most skin cancers is now believed to be caused by the same virus that causes warts - everybody is a carrier, and there's hope for a vaccine in the next decade against skin cancer.

Now, the important thing to note here is its cell damage caused by sunburn that allows the virus to corrupt the DNA. A vaccine for skin cancer still means you damage your skin!

Everything around you is a potential hazard. The air you breathe contains viruses, fungus spores, mould spores, and lots of nasties. The food you eat contains additives, and naturally occurring 'bad stuff' for your health, its just the good stuff should (hopefully) far outweigh the bad stuff in food.

What about radiation? everything around you is radioactive to some degree. Even your body is radioactive! (how do you think carbon *SPAM* works!). What about neutrinos and other possible sub-atomic particles passing through your body? (they're supposedly harmless). Then of course you have radio waves, light (which is just a different part of the spectrum), up past cosmic rays.

There is so much going around you (I've missed a lot) thats actually killing you, that the amounts of sweetener people typical consume really isn't an issue... this is of course, not to say its impossible for them to cause issues, just that the contaminants in the sugar is potentially just as hazardous as the sweetener!

A BIG point to make about sugar (most people consume white) is its actually very bad for you. If you must use sugar, try 'raw sugar', it is less process and nicer in coffee and tea. You could also try richer, heavier, less processed sugars such as brown and dark brown (these two are fairly 'moist'), which progressively gets less bad for you. You also don't seem to need as much for the same effect.

Now, i'm not saying you can replace white sugar in everything, but where possible the use of the less refined sugars is much better! For instance, with sweets the right combination of dark brown, raw sugar etc can greatly improve a chocolate cake, and raw sugar improves things like slices etc.

12. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    when i say a ton of coke zero i mean atleast 2 bottles a week

13. gbooster

gbooster Member Guru

GPU:
    zotac 1080gtx
    I would think the vodka is worse for you than the artificial sweetener. Depending, of course, on how often and how long you have made it a habit.

As for soda pop. I found a good substitute that is really yum. Some sparkling water, they sell 2 Liters for 69 cents at my supermarket, and a little bit of fruit juice, like 1 part to 5 for the sparkling water. I like the cherry Juicy Juice seltzers the best.

14. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    STAY THE **** AWAY FROM IT. It's evil stuff man; mind you it can't be any worse than "FLUORIDE aka RAT POISON in your drinking water, or MSG in your food. Finding new ways to kill us, but slowly so it don't look like genocide and we don't catch on to it.

15. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    True enough mate but the vodka gets me drunk and temporarily helps me forget the harsh realities of this foul year of our lord 2011.

16. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Where is the money to be made in killing us off? Use your thinking cap.

MSG has been studied extensively over nearly a century and no ill affects have been found. As for Flouride in water, the tiny amount is very unlikely to cause any harm to the average person. It's certainly not going to kill you even if it does.

17. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    Vodka and pinapple juice works well, just don't buy it from concentrate lol.

18. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I dunno. Fluoride is a key ingredient in rat and possum poison. As far as MSG go's, it does have long term harmful effects, I actually have a book somewhere called the "Food Additive code breaker", might be worth it to buy it for yourself if you ever come across it, you wont regret it. Anyway I will give you a very credible link, has some interesting stuff.

http://uncensored.co.nz/2010/10/29/the-fluoride-deception/

19. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    just so everyone know what he's talking about, here's some study made on the subject :)
    http://www.fluoridation.com/brain.htm
    http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/brain/#human

btw from what i know fluoride is a toxic by product of aluminium production. if they weren't making us pay to put it in our tap water they would have to pay to store it in some secure place as it's so toxic. so, they had to choice to have to pay in increasing price as the stock were getting bigger or they could add it to the legaly permitted amounth to your tap water and be paid for it ... :banana:

btw do you know who were the first to use fluoride in the tap water and where ?

the ***** in the death camps, cause it also have the after effect to make u docile. but don't beleive me, google it yourself ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  20. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    That's not a study. I went there and laughed when none of the studies actually went to anything. I've looked at some actual medical journals on it and according to them there's no conclusive evidence that the small amount of fluoride in water is capable of doing brain damage or any damage for that matter. In large amounts, yes it can and does do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.