new 3D gamer asking for some setup advice

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by mikeusru, Nov 28, 2011.

1. mikeusru

mikeusru New Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    Hi everyone, I just got myself a Samsung 3D Plasma TV (720p) PN43D490, and I have a GTX260 graphics card setup with two monitors connected via DVI.

I'd like to extend the setup to hook up the TV as well for 3D gaming. The TV has what looks like a VGA port (they just refer to it as a "PC input"), but as far as I understand, I need to use HDMI for 3D gaming.

I bought myself a 1.4 HDMI cable. The thing is, I don't want to contantly be plugging and unplugging my wires (the video card has 2 outputs and I have 2 monitors and a TV).

Is there some kind of splitter with a switch I can buy? Ideally I imagine it would take one DVI connection and split it into two, and you could flip a switch to change the output from one to the other, forcing the computer to sense a change from 1200p to 720p resolution.

Also, do I need the NVidia 30$ software to play any of my games in 3D and to watch 3D movies? How about stuff like downloaded 3D IMAX .mkv's?

2. RedSeptember

RedSeptember Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 690 4gb
    3D gaming does not use HDMI, its uses DVI.

3. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Agreed.

4. mikeusru

mikeusru New Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    So then how should I go about getting my signal to the TV, if it has no DVI input? The TV is listed as supporten on Nvidia's 3d software suite.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No they are incorrect,

HDMI 1.4 and 1.4a support Stereo, so there's no issue there. HDMI 1.4a adds two additional mandatory 3D formats for broadcast content.