AMD Not Competing with Intel Anymore, Goes Mobile

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by ViperXtreme, Nov 29, 2011.

1. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    yeah and they will miss out on that extra 10fps from a expensive intel cpu :wanker:

2. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I think it's more AMD cannot compete with intel rather than merely not competing. It takes a lot of dough to design chips and fabricate them. If you can't secure fabrication then you can't sell a chip in the server market. Businesses need to be assured of the availability of parts, AMD is likely losing its ability to do that.

3. Sutura

Sutura Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GT210 0.5/1680x1050
    As some people mentioned, Intel won't do whatever they want. The nature of the monopoly is not that. Look at Coca Cola for example. The big deal with the monopoly is that you can adjust the ratio between price/costs and the quantities you sell. So that it is the most benefial to you. In short, the prices are not going to be sky rocketing I think.

4. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Am I missing something??

Exactly where does it state they'll stop producing desktop and server CPU's??

The server side brings in a fair bit of revenue, as does the desktop side on low end workstations.

People really do like to add in their own bits to a story, and get 2+2=3.

AMD have not competed with Intel in the high end desktop CPU market in years, and it's been obvious for some time now that they do not wish to create overly expensive, non-profit making CPU's for a tiny market.

AMD will continue to make desktop / server CPU's, they just don't care about competing with Intel. They will also be focusing more on the mobile / ultra-portable market and no doubt will advance fusion designs for desktops.

5. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    If AMD dies, CPU prices would be regulated by goverment, noway intel can control it.

Also to the guy who said that AMD was faster than Intel sometimes, yeah, because Intel made big mistakes @ design, but economically and at everything (factories...), Intel its godlike here.

6. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

That's another thing, would it not also be quite possible that if Intel were the only PC CPU manufacturer, that prices of their CPU's would actually drop considerably, considering they'd be selling a lot more?

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    VIA has x86 licence,right?
    so what you say?
    but IF they merge with ,let´s say ,ARM ?or another player in the CPU field?
    what then?
    this is a wild wild assumption,so please don´t take seriously.

8. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    x86 compatible low power CPU's is what would happen.

Neither are in any position to develop high end desktop or server CPU's, nor have either every ventured into that field.

The only other manufacturer that may have the capability would be Nvidia. (unless of course IBM or Motorola decided to move into x86 desktop territory).

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i knew i should keep my mouth shut.
    lol
    <<<<<<Jensen would drool in a heartbeat at the opportunity to payback Intel some turns
    wait,isn´t Nvidia playing with ARM integrations in a GPU ?
    adding to that mix the bloody x86 license and ...
    another wild ,wild dream

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nearly half of Nvidia's revenue these past couple years has come from it's mobile CPU Division. Nvidia estimates that value will double by 2014. But will they go x86? Doubt it. They've already invested tons into ARM development even going as far as partnering with them, attempting to compete with desktop/servers with the ARM architecture (Project Denver). I don't see why they'd throw that out to potentially gain a fraction of what AMD has now.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    VIA is doing just fine with it's industrial costumers, no need to compete with Intel or AMD.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    yeah ,i know.
    man,i can dream ,right?