Best CPU Cooler for 1155 socket?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Necrobata, Nov 23, 2011.

1. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    True, but since both (D14 & Mugen 3) come with their own backplates, weight is a bit of a moot point.
    While D14 is a behemoth, Mugen 3 doesn't exactly pass the clearance test with flying colors either; some precautions still should be made.

If it's something like Prolimatech Panther (the slim successor of Megahalems), I don't mind.
    Mugen 3, however, should still be treated with cautions.

Not that Mugen 3 is not a good cooler though.
    You can even run it good enough on passive if your case has a good airflow, therefore no RAM slot blocking.

2. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    No it's not, weight can be used as an estimate of physical size (which is what I did).

You are correct though that in terms of compatibility, Mugen 3 isn't the best either. However, physical size and compatibility aren't the same thing. A Thermalright HR-02 macho is about as massive as D14, but won't block any RAM slots and will usually fit in a mid-tower. Noctua's top-down coolers are also quite massive but have good RAM compatibility.

I would say that conversely, RAM with tall heatspreaders should be treated with caution. Tall heatspreaders don't benefit you, they're just for show.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  3. PowerGI

PowerGI Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 1536MB
    I realized that nobody talked about the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus as one of the best HS for the 1155 socket.. is there a reason for that? Cuz in another thread people were telling me to get that one in particular..

4. jellysheep

jellysheep Guest

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    TR silver arrow is best. second is NH-D14. then Frio,.

honestly. just grab TR SA or a Hyper 212+

i use a hyper 212+ and it can keep my i5 2500k under 70C load at 4.7GHZ..

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Because it's not the best cooler but best bang for the buck.I own one as well keeps my 2500K low to mid 60's at 4.4 GHZ.

6. jellysheep

jellysheep Guest

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    Hyper 212+ = mid overclocks with out breaking the bank.

if you got the $$$ for a high end coole, a Silver arrow will beat the hyper down easily..

but at 3X the cost..

7. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    The thing is, the OP is looking for an aftermarket cooler in the first place, not RAMs.
    If he's looking for RAMs, then I'd suggest to watch out for clearance with his current CPU cooler when buying RAMs with tall heatspreaders.

Regardless of the usefulness of tall heatspreaders, you still have to watch out for RAM slots clearance with Mugen 3.

A Macho doesn't block RAM slots as much as Mugen 3 because of how its built; it's slanting more towards the IO panel, thus adding a 140 fan doesn't matter much because its fins don't extend much towards the RAM slots.

Yes, it is a bit moot.
    Weight used to be a concern because it could bend the motherboard, which a backplate nowadays prevents.

Besides...
    I didn't say that estimating the size from weight isn't useful at all, but when talking about compatibility and/or clearance, which I were, it is a bit moot, which you've said it yourself.

Another vote for 212+ for most bang-for-the-buck, by the way.

8. xentryx

xentryx Guest

GPU:
    MSI Lightning Xtreme SLI
    Phanteks PH-TC14PE - d-14 clone but with color choices and 100 bucks..

9. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Well, I wasn't. I was talking about size when saying D14 is massive and Mugen 3 not really. You replied Mugen 3 is also a bit on the massive side. I replied with a comparison of weight as an estimate of size to show that Mugen 3 is not on the massive side, being only slightly bigger than a basic 212+. That had nothing to do with compatibility.

10. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Corsair H80 or H100 ? as good as noctua or 2 3C less? easy to mount, more space in case, no risk mainboard getting screwd.

11. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!

I disagree, this would be the Hyper 212 EVO
    A collermaster v8 will have better performance and won't **** up with your ram. Mind the motherboard heatspreaders thata re around the cpu. if they are too tal they could bother.
    use a good themal paste. AS5, Ceramique 2, TX-2 from tuniq, etc

12. GAR818

GAR818 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    Noctua's fans are almost silent, the Frio is loud, you are way off and wrong.

13. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    In that case the V8 is pretty, almost silent... I have even pushed up to 200-2100 rpm (stated 800-1800rpm standard) with almost no sound heard from the case (its a very low hum) and though it doesent perform as a noctua or a silver arrow, it does perform good. better than a 212 and not so good as a V6 GT. problem is the V6 GT has a horrendous led on the coolers (the one on the top is cool though)
    For a medium OC 4.3-4.5Ghz will be perfect
    For a higher OC please use a water solution!
    H60 has between 4 to 6ºC better temps than a V8 in most of the cases. sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.
    A good water cooler is the antec kuhler 920, much better than corsairs

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What is with all these "best cpu cooler" threads??? There is no actual "best" CPU cooler. Regardless of what results others have seen...there's absolutely no guarrantee that you'll see the same results. Heatpipe based coolers are too dependent on case air flow for any single cooler to be declared "the best". Simply put....just because someone here claims they can get 26C idle and 38C load, doesn't mean your processor won't overheat using the same cooler. If your case air flow sucks....the cooler will perform like ****.

15. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    This is true but there's no need to clarify it, its almost obvious that air cooling is dependant on the room and case temperatures and it will NEVER go below the air temperature, no matter what.
    So if you got megahalems but your room is at 35ºC and your case is at 41ºC your temps will never be below 41ºC, even if you have the best air cooling, even some watercooling sets will perform the same way.
    Now... phase cooling is another matter.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Air cooling - CM 212 seems to be a crowd favorite for the price
    Water cooling - Corsair H60, H80 or H100.

17. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    212+ is not so good in terms of performance alone. yes in performance per $

those cooling kits are popular but not the best. antecs are great too

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    phase change cooling is dependent on system pressure, humidity, temperature.....

19. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Everything is relative as our friend Albert Einstein said.

BTW, didn't phase change cooling cause condensation? like T.E.C. cooling?
    and it is noisier than any water/air cooler...

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    yes, phase change cooling causes condensation, requires a ****load of power and produces more noise than any watercooling setup.